Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I feel down

Posted by Joan r. on 1/12/04 at 23:40 (141923)

I have lived with plantar faciitis for about a year. I have tried so many things; Physical therapy, pain medication, exercise, injections etc. I feel like I am never going to get better. I live with this pain and at times get real depressed over it. I am not that old and worry of what will happen when I do decide to have a baby in a year or so. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. Jr

Re: I feel down

Dorothy on 1/13/04 at 00:31 (141926)

Joan r. ~ Most of the people here are in the same boat as you describe and many, perhaps most - I don't really know for sure - get depressed over this. For some, the depression lingers; for others, it comes and goes. Writing and reading here is very helpful for many/most of us. For one thing, it always helps to know that you're not alone. And you are not alone. Have you read the heel pain book here yet? If you scroll down the page, you will see the place to click on it and you can read much good information. You are welcome here and there are many people who will help you in whatever way they can. Many people have gotten better and stayed better; others have intermittent problems with PF and related problems and for others the problems are persistent and chronic. We all hope for permanent relief from these problems. In the meantime, welcome.

As to your concerns about what might happen if you become pregnant in the future, you might want to do a search here on 'pregnancy' and see what people have written about that. I know it has been discussed and certainly can and will be again. Hang in there and best wishes.

Rick R on 1/13/04 at 07:57 (141931)

Joan,

I don't quite know how to proceed without doing more harm than good but here I go. For starters, there are so darned many things to try before resigning yourself to having this as a life long condition. Not to diminish what you have gone through this last year; one year without a solution does not mean that you will be a hard core case. I'll try to stay on the support side but please read Scott's book and stay with us until you are sure you have exhausted all available alternatives. This can take years but it's also possible you will find the difference maker for you today. Tape had that impact for me, from the day I tried it I knew I was on the road to managing my condition. That may not be your answer, but you have the benefit of seeing what has brought a lot of us through our hardest times. Many of us, that will always have a level of this to deal with, have gone on to return to the activities we cherish.

Rick

Necee on 1/13/04 at 08:02 (141932)

There are so many of us here Joan who completely understand what you're feeling. PF doesn't go away over night, therefore depression is a big problem.

I would suggest that you learn all you can about PF, and since those methods of treatment you tried haven't worked for you, then try a different approach, the last thing you want to do is give up. Stay positive, you've got to believe you'll get better, I'm living proof of that.

You mentioned that you tried physical therapy, and exercise, as well as shots and medication........why type of therapy and exercise did you take?
It's possible that doing the wrong type of exercise can do more harm than good. Also, are you wearing good supportive shoes? Thats very important, I didn't start healing from PF until I began wearing the right shoes.

The main thing is you've got PF friends here who care and understand. Please don't hesitate to reach out and ask questions, there's a wealth of knowledge on this site, and I can honestly tell you, I don't know what I would have done without all their support.

My suggestions are just the tip of the iceberg, others will respond to you as well with lots of thoughts and ideas, so hang in there Joan, you will get better!

Necee

Bud P on 1/13/04 at 08:28 (141934)

Joan,
Necee gave you good advice.There are so many options to try and maybe one of them will work for you. I have been fighting depression on and off for 2 years since I developed PF. So you are not alone. Anytime you have pain for a long period of time depression follows. There is a great deal of support on this board. I was able to get help from a number of people here. Sometimes I didn't always like what I heard but I think everyone here is trying to help each other. Hang in there. Bud

Pam S. on 1/13/04 at 08:54 (141935)

Dear Joan:
You will get loads of great tips on this sight and from your pod. If there ever was a need for perserverance and patience you need it now. It's just that no one understands (but us) how feet can effect your life.

I have dealt with pain in my feet as well as other pain for about 4 years. I realized last year that I was truly not functioning well and I sought help and went on an antidepressant. It has helped me so much. I have so much more energy which in turn keeps my attitude positive and enables me to keep up the good fight. Life just is not easy and I needed a little help along the way. I am not recommending you do this just adding what I have done. GOOD LUCK and keep at it. Warmly, Pam

JudyS on 1/13/04 at 10:42 (141941)

Joan - each of your words is very familiar to all here.
If I can tell you the one most important thing we've learned it's to not give up.
Some have mentioned to you what was the one thing that set them on the road to recovery - I'd like to add that the one thing that set me on that road was mental - I was sitting in my recliner (yet again) one day feeling depressed, feeling sorry for myself and feeling as though my feet had control of my life and my future. That was the umpteenth time I was in that position. But then it happened - I sat straight up and said to myself wait just a minute - my feet ARE in control! But NOT anymore. I realized that I'd given even my own strength of character over to my feet - I wasn't being me.
I found this website, I read Scott's book, I admitted that, while I had tried virtually everything in it, I hadn't actually done them consistently, religiously over time. I kept expecting a quick fix.
But PF is an inflammation and, unlike an inflamed muscle elsewhere, it is irritated constantly. So each method described by your doc and Scott's book, when used consistently, gradually can help to outbalance the daily irritation.
How much to stretch and how much to rest are always big issues. Be sure to read Julie's stretching section on this website - it's perfect. And remember - you're stretching to stay flexible, NOT to actually make muscles, tendons, etc longer. It's far too easy to overstretch and cause more inflammation. How much rest is tricky. Don't go jogging but don't sit all day either. You'll learn how much you can do and the minute your feet start hurting sit down, ice, ibuprofen. But you really do need to use them to some degree in order to avoid stiffening and loss of strength.
Don't give up your dream of having a baby. PF shouldn't stop your life. Like you I thought it'd never end. That was four years ago. I've gotten gradually better over four years (no surgury) and am now fully functional. BUT - I waited for over a year to treat it properly, kept up my athletic activities and made it MUCH worse than it had to be - that's why it took so long for me.
Last, keep coming back here. You will find friends like no others and you'll have a good time too!

Julie on 1/13/04 at 10:51 (141942)

Joan

Almost everybody here, as you now know from the response you've had, is or has been in the same boat. You will get plenty of support here if you stay, and if you want to take control of your situation you will get plenty of information - from the heel pain book, which I hope you'll study if you haven't already, and from the experience of other posters.

But the most important thing is to see a podiatrist for a complete examination and evaluation of your problem, including your biomechanics (the way you walk and stand) so that the CAUSE of PF can be ascertained and addressed, and a comprehensive treatment plan put in place.

There is a very wide range of conservative treatments for this affliction, and you can be hopeful that you will improve. But you do need to inform yourself, get a proper diagnosis and treatment programme, and take an active role in your healing. For starters, make sure that your shoes give you good support, and never go barefoot. When you read the heel pain book you'll find instructions for taping, which was very helpful for me, as for Rick.

But most importantly, see a podiatrist.

Best of luck! You are not alone.

Re: PS

Julie on 1/13/04 at 10:55 (141943)

Joan, I see that Judy mentioned the stretches I've posted here. They are simple yoga foot exercises, and you'll find them by clicking on the word yoga.

If you have been doing any weightbearing stretching, this may be impeding your progress (even if recommended by a professional). Most weightbearing exercise is too strong for most PF sufferers, because you are dealing with injured, inflamed tissue.

Suzanne D. on 1/13/04 at 11:38 (141946)

Dear Joan,

You have already received so much good advice! I'll just second what everyone here has said and let you know, once again, that you are not alone and that you have done the best thing for your feet already by finding this site! :D Read, read, read...Post and ask questions. Don't give up!

Try another doctor if you feel you aren't getting help with the one you've seen. And do try taping (There is a little video on this site to watch, and you'll see it's a simple thing to do with a little practice.) It doesn't cost much and can't hurt to try. It made a big difference to me and one that could be immediately felt, so that can be encouraging!

Take care, and let us continue to hear from you! @};-
Suzanne :)

marie on 1/13/04 at 18:07 (141974)

As you can see, Joan, there are people out there that understand exactly what you're going through. No one here can predict what your future will hold for you but know that today we were here for YOU! Today is the day you can decide to do something or not. Today you can pick up the phone and make an appointment with your gp and tell her/him that you are feeling depressed about the chronic pain you're experiencing. Make them listen and then it's your turn to listen. Take the control back...the folks here have given you some great tips. Go for it.

best wishes marie