Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PLEASE HELP!

Posted by Jeremy on 1/13/04 at 02:45 (141928)

All the comments here help in great deal.
I am Jeremy and 27years old.

I'd like to say my story.
I seem to have a little different cause for this body&heart breaking heel pain.
I got this pain while I was standing for 8 hours. I'd never had long standing job in the past but at that time, I had to stand all day long for my duty.
In 2weeks after I started long-standing job,while I was standing, I suddenly had a weird feeling like some of my heel muscle being teared off.
Since then, I have had this heel pain for 1 year. I've tried everything you can imagine except a surgery.

I guess the problem was that even if I had heel pain at that time, I tried many sports like soccer or even squat at the Gym because I had no pain when walking or running but standing. Now I am thinking I was really crazy and stupid.

For the first 6 months, I didn't take it too serious since my doctor said 'just take a rest and don't stand long then will be O.K'. That was what I got from first visit to doctor. Moreover, I didn't even know how helpful the stretching was==>doctor didn't even mention about this.

After 6months, the pain started killing me even when walking or running.
Actually, in the mean time, I went to Acupunture for 3 months and wasn't helpful.

Finally I found what is called pain clinic and I've been going for 5 months now. There has been a lot of improvements but really really too much slow.

Now, I am really getting out of my patience.

THE BIGGEST CONCERN IS THAT WHAT IF I HAPPEND TO GET THE SAME PAIN THAT I HAD BEFORE I WENT TO PAIN CLINIC. Because of this, I can't do anything but resting.

I am tired of doing stretching for 6months and I've been at home whole weekends for 6 months because I still believe rest is the best solution. I feel I am getting far apart from my loved people and friends and family and sports and Jesus.
I've been thinking I am a faithful christian but not now.........

Nobody in my company thinks the heel pain is serious,which gives me a lot of stress.

I think I have to quit my job SOON.....

I am afraid if I am losing my hope.

Re: PLEASE HELP!

PEYTON HARRY on 1/13/04 at 07:46 (141930)

JEREMY,

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AND THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET FOR TREATMENT, BUT HAVE FAITH AND HOPE . LOOK INTO SEEING ANOTHER DOCTOR AND BE PATIENT. EXPLORE THIS SITE THOROUGLLY BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE ARE STRUGGLING WITH CONDITIONS AND MAY EVEN HAVE IT WORSE SO BE PROACTIVE IN YOUR QUEST AND WHO GIVES A RATS ASS WHAT THE PEOPLE AT WORK THINK OF YOU. ITS YOUR FOOT NOT THEIRS.

Jamie on 1/13/04 at 11:28 (141944)

I understand how you feel. I am a very active person and this heel pain has slowed me down significantly. Only last week did i actually begin to take an aggressive approach to fight back against this pain. get your podiatrist to prescribe you orthotics and wear them everyday. Insurance should pay for them. you may have to bitch at them for awhile but they should pay for most of the bill if you have a descent plan. I have heard alot of good things about the foot trainer, i just purchased a set last week. From the way it sounds, you need to get this product. Do a search for it and youll find it. Call and talk to Mr. Wilmont (i think thats his name) he is cool.He is the inventor of that product. Ice that heel every night to reduce swelling. Never ever walk around your house barefoot or with anything except a house shoe with good arch support or a pair of shoes with those orthotic insoles you hopefully have or will be getting. Do the yoga stretches provided by Julie and stay away from those dam stretches the doctor tells you to do because they arent worth a s#@% and will injure you further. I can honestly tell you that i havent had relief from my PF in 8 months then last week i started doing those yoga stertches and i cant believe how much better my heel feels. Those stretches really are a gift from god and Julie is my new hero for providing us with these. if you dont have one already get a good night splint and wear it to allow your heel to better heal in the correct position while you sleep. You could also try the Strassburg sock. It is pretty good but i prefer the night splint. I see where you are into weight lifting just like i am. DO NOT do calf raises with any weight for a good while. I think this is one thing that has been hurting me worse and worse every week. I insisted loading anywhere from 200-400 pounds on my calves and doing raises with them. I was very stupid and wondered how come i could barely walk after doing this. Massage that sore area on your heel or have someone else do it for you (this is wheer my wife comes in very handy) to hopefully break up some of that scar tissue and give you some relief. Dont listen to the morons at work that dont believe your heel hurts that bad because they have never experienced our problem obviously. Take an aggressive approach starting today and start the healing process now. just read everything you can on this site. this site has given me more and better information than any foot doctor ever gave me. keep your head up and believe that things will get better because they always do in the end. i hope something i typed here has given you some kind of help or idea that you didnt already know. Take care.

'Stay strong mentally and physically, and remain passionately committed
to your hearts chosen path.'---Unknown author

Al on 1/13/04 at 11:51 (141947)

Get yourself on a good kelated Calcium-mineral formula asap. I had the terrible heel pain for 1 year. Had the needles in the heel every 3 months for pain. After the second treatment, that no longer helped. Tried the shoes inserts and thry helped somewhat. But it wasn't til I started taking 2000mg a day of a great calcium-mineral formula from 'Body Wise', that my pain REALLY went away. After 3 days on the product I could feel it starting to heal. (Make sure the Calcium is Calcium-citrate, NOT Calcium-carbonate.) It doesn't absorb as well as the Calcium-citrate. After 3 months I no longer needed to wear inserts in my shoes. (My doctor told me I'd have to wear them for life.) I still take 1500mg a day (two years later) and I have ZERO pain. The stuff works so good I don't even remember which foot I had the heel spur on. That's the honest to God truth!
I'll pray for you healing also....God Bless!

Re: To Jeremy PLEASE HELP!

Pauline on 1/13/04 at 12:31 (141950)

Jeremy,
This is good advice. Never give up. When you've come to the end of your rope grab a new one and continue on.

Dr. Z on 1/13/04 at 12:55 (141956)

Great to hear you have no pain. Do you have a reason why the medication got rid of the heel pain?

Michael K on 1/13/04 at 13:19 (141959)

Hello Jeremy I am in the same boat contant pain. My pain over one year don't know what to do anymore. I do the icing, stretching, taping just started the MSM anymore ideas let me know. Thanks, Michael

iki on 1/13/04 at 16:59 (141967)

I have had my heel spur for six years. It got worse and worse during the first year (crawlin to the bathroom), and just when I wondered how to tell my employer I could not walk anywhere during work anymore, I was sent to hospital for one week (unsuccessful treatment of something else with cortison infusions for one week). It did not help for whta I got it, but my spur got well enough so I could continue working. I have not been for a walk in years, but I can manage the househole and job, and it seems to get a bit better. needless to say, I have tried everything else except operation. I alsways wear inlets; never do one step barefoot; sad news: now the second foot start hurting too.

Dorothy on 1/13/04 at 17:22 (141972)

It is possible that you don't know this and it is possible that you don't care and I am not trying to tell you what to do - but, just in the interest of full disclosure of information: it is considered rude to post in all caps unless you are 'yelling' and angry when writing on internet settings. I said something similar to this once before to a different poster and got 'yelled at' by her so please do not trouble yourself to express your anger at me if what I am saying annoys you. I have no particular interest in what you write or how you write it; I just wanted to make you aware of a point of internet etiquette, if you were not already aware of it. All caps detracts from content and conveys an angry, aggressive tone. Do whatever you want with this information, but kindly do not tell me what you think I should do with it.

Ellen J. on 1/13/04 at 19:02 (141977)

Hi Jeremy,
You sound like you are doing the right things, even though I know it's discouraging that it takes so long for the feet to heal. The fact that you are feeling better than you were is a great sign! One thing I had to learn with this problem is 'patience'. It is very difficult, but I think that as you continue to heal up, it might give you incentive to have even more patience. Keep doing what you are doing, because it sounds like it's working. I was a very active person (loved to run, lift weights, etc.) before this happened to me, and I'm slowly starting to become more active again. Keep reminding yourself that even if you are not active for awhile, you will be able to get back in shape when your feet heal up.
Also, the people here on this message board are really great and it's a huge help to be able to get their opinions--so keep asking questions. I wish I had known about this website when I first got P.F.
Ellen J.

Re: To Jamie

Julie on 1/14/04 at 01:21 (141990)

Hi Jamie

You've written a wonderful, thoughtful post for Jeremy, and I want to tell you that I appreciate it. I believe you're a relatively new poster here, in pain yourself and needing help, yet you've used your imagination and given your time and thought to Jeremy's problems. This is what these boards are all about. It's why some of us, though we no longer have foot problems ourselves, have stayed to help. You're setting an example, and I hope you continue as you've begun. You will be a great help here.

I'm very glad the yoga exercises have helped you. They are indeed a gift from God, as you say. Having practised and taught them for many years, and experienced their effects for myself and in my students, this is exactly how I regard them. They are a part of a sequence that works through all the body's joints, and the effect of the entire sequence on energy flow is very powerful.

Buck T. on 1/14/04 at 11:23 (142004)

I agree with all Jamie said. Somehow, don't let this change the person you are. If it has, somehow take back the 'you.' A way to do this is not to feel guilty if some doctor's treatment doesn't work immediately or if family or co-workers don't understand. Adop a 'I don't care what you think' attitude. Instead, focus on getting well.

Buck

PEYTON HARRY on 1/14/04 at 13:00 (142014)

dorothy i was unaware of this internet etiquette, sorry if you had to take the time and write a full length page on this trivial matter, while others are dealing with pain.

Dorothy on 1/14/04 at 15:14 (142019)

You must be the expert on pain. Thank you for your courteous response. Feel free to write in all caps, no caps, no content, no sense. It makes no difference to me. Courtesy, in all its manifestations, is not a trivial matter. Pain is not an excuse for rudeness. You are not the sole possessor of pain here. If you were 'unaware of this internet etiquette', then you might be grateful to be informed and relieved of your ignorance. Instead, you prefer to be angry, something I had asked you not to trouble yourself with by directing it at me; you did it anyway. More ignorance. Finally, I would suggest you review your abilities to measure, as you said 'full length page' and I simply sent you a pretty short note. I don't care what you do or do not do. Many people prefer not to continue to act out of ignorance; you are obviously not one of them. Do what you want. You are welcome for the information. When you have something informative and useful to share with me, I will be glad to read it. Until then, if you want to learn the customs and protocols and standard operating procedures on the internet, you're on your own. Now, go press down that 'all caps' button and have yourself a great old time.

Kathy L on 1/14/04 at 17:07 (142026)

Dorothy, I thought it was nice for you to mention it. I've known many who are ignorant to the etiquette of not using Caps unless there is a specific reason. Most of us have learned one way or the other.

Don S. on 1/14/04 at 21:51 (142043)

Dorothy, you just can not let it go. You must get in the last
word. If anyone is showing ignorance. Its you.

PEYTON HARRY on 1/15/04 at 09:05 (142068)

WHY DONT YOU GO LICK TOTO'S ASSHOLE YOU BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!

john h on 1/15/04 at 11:12 (142076)

YES KATHY NOT ONLY ARE SOME OF US NOT COMPUTER PC LITERATE BUT WE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SPELL CAAT OR DOOG. I have told my wife for the past two years not to use caps but she defies me even though I have informed her she would be looked upon as a computer illeteriate. A wife being a wife..

Re: ScottR please note

Julie on 1/15/04 at 11:36 (142082)

Julie on 1/15/04 at 11:38 (142084)

The main reason for not using caps is that they are unreadable, as any self-respecting typographer will tell you. Anyone who wants their message read should take note of this. It's a purely practical consideration.

Al on 1/15/04 at 15:50 (142116)

The medication only blocked the pain for a while. I remember reading a report somewhere that most heel pain occurs because of a calcium deficiency. So I tried increasing my calcium-mineral intake to 2000mg per day and it worked. The only explaination I can figure is that I wasn't getting enough calcium from my diet and it was starting to deplete it from my bones, causing the heel pain. It wasn't like it resulted from an injury on something. Give your body what it needs; it has tremendous ability to heal itself.

Re: To Jamie

JamieS on 1/15/04 at 17:25 (142128)

Thank you very much for the kind words. hopefully i can help as many people as possible and in turn continue with my healing. take care

wendyn on 1/15/04 at 22:30 (142159)

John, your wife ignores you because it bugs you. Does she make you tuna sandwiches?

john h on 1/16/04 at 10:21 (142181)

Wendy: Not since they discovered Tuna is full of mercury. Especially the albacore. I think the cheap brown looking tuna has a lot less mercury. After you reach a certain age I personally think you forget about the mercury as it takes a long time for the effects to show up. Sort of like the sun. Most of the sun damage you will have experienced occurs early in life and you pay for it later. I prefered the beach to being lounge lizzard.