Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

long toes

Posted by maryd on 1/13/04 at 17:09 (141968)

I was wondering if there are any surgeons (plastic?) who can 'shorten' a person's toes...The second toe on both of my feet (next to the big toe) are quite a bit longer and I have never been able to wear open-toed sandals/shoes because they are so unsightly. Please advise me who I can contact about this. Thanks!

Re: long toes

iki on 1/13/04 at 17:15 (141971)

do not risk pain for the sake of imagined beauty!

Pauline on 1/16/04 at 19:38 (142235)

Maryd,
Any foot surgery shouldn't be taken lightly. If you read the 'Surgery' board or 'Ask the Doctor' board you will find that even the removal of a neuroma has caused people to have severe and continual pain. You'll also learn that no surgery comes with a guarantee of success.

Right now you are walking pain free and have one toe longer than the others. To you this is a bad deal and I hear you, but what I need you to hear from me, is that after a toe shortening surgery you could end up having complications that will cause you pain for the rest of your life.

Those of us who suffer from Plantar Fasciitis know how long term constant pain can drag a person down, cause them to lose their jobs, and even put them into depression. I suggest you seriously think about this surgery and it's possible conquences before you find a doctor who will gladly perform it for you. It seems Toe shortening has now gone Hollywood.

While your researching this surgery, put a stone in both your shoe and walk on them for two weeks. The feel of constant pain may help you to reconsider and appreciate the GOOD feet you've already been given.

I'd keep what you have and be happy, but if your determined to have your toes shortened do all your homework ahead of time, and be prepared to accept the conquences good or bad.

Julie on 1/17/04 at 02:37 (142253)

Mary

There are indeed surgeons who will shorten your toes. Foot-altering surgery seems to be the thing in the States these days - there have been long articles about it in England, where I am, about women who have their toes shortened and their feet made narrower so that they can get into fashionable shoes. It's fairly horrifying to me that anyone could consider having their feet cut unless it was absolutely necessary to cure some extremely painful, debilitating, life-destroying condition.

Pauline has said everything I would want to say, so I won't repeat any of it. But I want to add that though your toes may seem unsightly to you, it is very unlikely that anyone else finds them so - or even looks at them. Most people are much too concerned with themselves, and their own appearance, to register the detail of anyone else's. And anyway, a long second toe might be exactly the unique and lovable thing that someone will love to bits about you.

Some people have plastic surgery to correct what they perceive to be a 'fault', believing that life will change for the better once they've had it. Usually it doesn't work that way: lack of confidence and other deep-seated emotional problems don't go away so easily. We all have something that we wish was different. Some things can be changed, some can't. (I wouldn't mind being a few inches taller, but I'm not.) Accept yourself, and the toes God has given you. Wear and enjoy sandals, and please DON'T have surgery that may give you a very great deal to regret.