Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One Week Post ESWT

Posted by Holly H on 1/14/04 at 10:21 (142001)

I had the ESWT therapy one week ago after months of night splints, cortizone injections and anti-inflammatory medication. I know it's only been a week but I still have that morning sharp first step pain and burning in my heel. Should I believe, at this point, the ESWT has not worked or should I just be patient for the next three weeks until I see the orthopedist?

Re: One Week Post ESWT

SteveG on 1/14/04 at 13:01 (142015)

You should be patient for the next 16 weeks. Often the pain will not resolve or improve for 12-16 weeks. After that time period, I would talk to your doctor. I am surprised this was not discussed with you in conjunction with the treatment. Where did you get the impression it would only take a month?

Holly H on 1/14/04 at 13:24 (142017)

I'm not under the impression it'll take just a month. That's when I go back to the doctor. I was hoping that there would be a 'little' improvement. I will just have to be patient and hope that over the next couple of months I will feel less and hopefully no pain. Thanks for your response.

Ron B on 1/14/04 at 15:15 (142020)

Holly
I had ESWT treatment five weeks ago yesterday. I have not felt any improvement at all! in fact I've had a small set back in my left foot. Even at eight weeks if I still do not feel improvement, I will not think the treatment failed. But if I don't feel better by 12 weeks, I'm going to shot my pod !!! LOL (just kidding) I have read alot about ESWT. and like Steve said it can take 16 weeks or more to feel anything. If after six months I don't feel any better, than I will start to wonder if it helped. But till then I'm trying to be patient. and I'm not a very patient person :O(. So I hope you too will be patient. keep us posted how its going.
Ron B

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/04 at 18:09 (142030)

Are you in more pain then before the ESWT treatment. If you are call your doctor have him evaluate your foot

Holly H on 1/14/04 at 20:22 (142039)

No Doc, I'm not in any more pain. I guess I just anticipated a little bit more 'quick' relief. Just have to be more patient. Thanks for the response. :)

Ron B on 1/15/04 at 14:10 (142103)

Dr Z
After five weeks, I don't feel any different. But the last couple of weeks,driving home from working on my feet all night I get a burning pain along the outside of my foot. any idea's ?
Ron B

helen s on 1/15/04 at 16:17 (142125)

I had ESWT nearly 4 weeks ago and was told not to expect any improvement for at least 6 to 12 weeks and even then up to 12 months. Also, I was told that some days after that you can feel as if if has returned completely ( but not to be disheartend) it can take up to 12 months for new tissue to grow. After 5 years of my pain another 12 weeks will be a doddle. Dont be down all of what I have read its at least 12 weeks before any improvement. Good Luck.

Helen

Mark L on 1/15/04 at 18:45 (142143)

Thinking about my PF and what to do- Could those who have had ESWt post some more specific info like what type of therapy high energy or low- what equipment was used and where it was done. This might be helpful to those who have to make a decision.

SteveG on 1/15/04 at 19:55 (142148)

Most of the folks here have had high-energy - at places all around the country. Do a search on this site and you will be able to read about ESWT, ad nauseam

Annette on 1/16/04 at 10:44 (142186)

I had ESWT 5 months ago, just now I am finding some relief. I feel like running right now because my foot is feeling better but know if I tried, the pain would come right back so for now I will stay off my foot. Please don't get too discouraged yet, you still have time for your foot to heal.