Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurotin

Posted by john h on 1/15/04 at 12:06 (142085)

I have seen a number of post over the past few years of people who have or use Neurotin. I would like to hear from any of you as to how this drug has worked for PF pain. Think some of you mentioned you took it of Firbro M-

The drug is widely used to treat many conditions including anti seizure, shingles. nerve pain, etc. It is not addictive and can be taken with or without food and seems to be well toleriated by most. When withdrawing from the drug you do taper off slowly but that is not because of addictive properities.

Re: Neurotin

BrianJ on 1/15/04 at 13:42 (142100)

I take Neurontin (1200 mg per day). It takes the edge off my PF pain, decreases the burning, and helps me sleep better. It is by no means a cure, but it does make a noticeable difference for me.

Kathy G on 1/15/04 at 15:40 (142114)

John,

You do have to taper off of Neurontin. They have a specific formula they follow. It's an extraordinary drug. My sister takes it for bipolar disorder and my brother-in-law takes it for piriformis syndrome, a condition wherein his sciatic nerve is constantly being pressured by his piriformis muscle. It was prescribed by his pain-management team.

When it came out, it was specifically used for epileptic seizures and then they found all these other uses. At high doses, it does cause forgetfulness. My brother-in-law takes it along with Ultram and it's a minor problem for him. My sister takes it with other medication and it's a major problem for her.

They tell me that it seems to help with nerve pain which often is described as 'burning' pain just as Brian described.

Shell D. on 1/15/04 at 18:01 (142132)

I take 900 mg at bedtime for fibromyalgia to help me sleep, but unfortunately it hasn't helped with my PF.

marie on 1/15/04 at 19:17 (142145)

Hi John,

I am so fortunate to have both PF and TTS. I take 300mg 3X a day. It has helped from the moment I first started on it. It takes a little while to build up the dosage. I encountered only temporary side affects....I had daily headaches until I got on a higher dose. So far so good. I hope to be able to go off it some day...but who knows.

Re: Neurontin infor and brief ?for Marie and Shell

Pam S. on 1/15/04 at 20:42 (142151)

I belong to the Neurontin club also. It has helped with my TTS burning also. I notice a relief within the hour from taking it. I take only 400 at bedtime. I believe it helps with alot of pain. This drug is also recommended for sleep disorders such as restless legs.

Question for Shell: Did you have the surgery? How are you doing?

Marie:Did you gain weight from the Neurontin? Is your fibro flared up right now...mine is...

marie on 1/16/04 at 14:30 (142215)

Oh Pam sorry to hear your fibro has flaired up. I tend to be mostly affected by weather but have been doing extremely well the last month or so. The tia I had didn't even affect me. The elavil has worked really well for the fibro problem! I'd suggest it....maybe ask your doctor about it. It doesn't take much to make a difference.

I don't know if the Neurontin has affected my weight gain or if it's the elavil. It could be our school lunches....they are absolutely the best I've ever had. We had creamed turkey over homemade drop bisquits. I eat better at school than at home. It's hard to walk past all the wonderful smells to my yogurt and fruit. Our cooks are chefs!!!! That's no exageration.

marie

Shell D. on 1/16/04 at 14:53 (142216)

Pam,
Yes, I had the surgery last Friday. (one week ago today) They did the EPF and it really hasn't been bad. I saw the doctor yesterday and he unwrapped the dressing. It's quite bruised and very tender, but not as bad as I expected. I go back next Thursday to have the stitches out.
I've misplaced your e-mail address, that's why I haven't e-mailed lately. Do you still have mine? I'd love to hear from you.

Pam S. on 1/17/04 at 00:02 (142246)

Dear Shell:
I am soooo glad you are doing well. I will pray this whole nightmare foot pain can be resolved now. How is your fibro pain thru all of this. Sounds like you are pulling thru fine. Post your e-mail again for me because I must have mis-placed it. Keep us posted. Warmly, pam