Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need some recommendations for running shoes

Posted by francesc on 1/15/04 at 16:09 (142121)

Hi,

I am in need of a new pair of running shoes (although I'm not running and have not been for the last 5 months). Does anyone have any recommendations on the brand and type? I just went to the New Balance store, bought a pair, and then returned it because I wasn't sure.

Because I have PF, should I try to buy one which compensates for mild pronation? Or can I get away with a neutral shoe? I still haven't gotten my new orthotics yet and the guy at the NB store recommended I wait until I got them and then try them in different shoes.

But still, I was wondering what you all thought. The way my orthotics go, it might be a while before I get a pair that's right!

Ok, and why do they have to make running shoes so ugly with all that coloring and striping? Yuk! :-)

Thanks in advance,
Frances

Re: Need some recommendations for running shoes

Paul S on 1/15/04 at 16:14 (142124)

I hope you are not planning on running if you have PF. I have confined my excercise to walking on a treadmill for the cushioning effect as compared to asphalt or concrete. I also have been using a Concept2 rower which doesn't seem to agravate the PF

Paul S

Carole C in NOLA on 1/15/04 at 18:26 (142140)

Frances, not everyone with PF overpronates though most of us do. I think the guy at the NB store was smart to recommend that you wait. Then, you can put the orthotics in the shoe, and walk in it to feel the real effect that the shoe has on your gait.

And yes, running shoes are really ugly! But I like my NB 991's. They help my PF even though I don't run, and they don't look TOO bad. LOL

Carole C

francesc on 1/16/04 at 15:31 (142219)

No, no, I'm not running!! I haven't run since July. I just cycle, cycle, cycle, and lift weights. That's about it. Maybe I'll try the rowing machine at the gym. I am so bored with the cycling.

The doctor recommended that I get some good running shoes to help cushion my feet and also for the support. And almost every fitness store that I've been to recommends that I use running shoes to walk around instead of what I used to wear (cross trainers).

francesc on 1/16/04 at 15:37 (142220)

Hi Carole,

I don't think I over-pronate but, with those shoes that compensate for it, it helps take the pressure off the inside of my heel/foot where the PF irritation area is located.

I actually tried on some Asics and they felt pretty good. Again, ugly as sin (Silver and blue fer cryin' out loud). So I'm going to try them out around the house and see how they feel. I think they were a 1090 model.

The thing with the NB running shoes is that I only like the SL-2 models and they don't have that many (narrow heel, wider toe-box).

Thanks,
Frances

Carole C in NOLA on 1/16/04 at 17:51 (142229)

Believe me, I understand. I can only wear the SL-1's and I wish I could also wear the SL-2's, the ones that work for you.

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/21/04 at 08:57 (142530)

Frances,

I love Asics and they are the only shoes I wear. I wore them as my 'sneakers' before I got PF and then progressed to wearing them with my dress outfits for work. I have about eight pair of Gel Cumulus II's. I discovered they worked really well for me and bought a few pair at my local store. When I found them at a reduced price at efootwear.com, I ordered six more pair. When these wear out, I don't know what I'll do.

The problem with athletic shoe companies is that they are always 'tweaking' their models and making what they consider to be subtle changes in them. My feet do not consider any changes to be subtle so I when I find a style that works, I buy them in quantity. Before this, I wore the 1090's. Unlike most PF sufferers, I cannot have much heel control so that limits my choices.

You're right about the lovely colors they choose! I've even written to the company and pointed out that some people need to wear their shoes on a regular basis and maybe they could consider toning them down a bit. Over the years, they actually have. I think my first pair were fluorescent orange and purple! Yuck!

francesc on 1/21/04 at 16:11 (142552)

Kathy,

well, thanks for writing to the company for me! :-) my silver and electric blue Asics could've been neon orange and electric blue, i suppose.

i am sure that is why athletic shoe companies make 'walking shoes' and those are usually more toned down -- beige, white, or black. but, for the price, i might as well buy the more cushioned and supportive running shoes.

frances

Sue S on 1/28/04 at 14:44 (143075)

I too am a runner and have had PF since June 2003. I was ready to start back running and was ready to go out in my shoe (Asics) that I had been wearing almost exclusively for 6 months. I had some trouble and the guy at the running store told me that just walking around and using running shoes for 6 months wears them out even if you aren't actually running in them and that I should get new shoes. I have my orthotics now and tried the Mizuno and returned them and now I am in Brooks shoes. Find someone who is really knowledgeable about the shoes they sell and is willing to take them back if they don't work. The orthotics do change the way the shoes filt. Good luck - aren't you ready to get back to running? I sure am - I am SO bored with the stationery bike...