Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Breaking in orthotics

Posted by Lynn M. on 1/16/04 at 08:12 (142170)

Hi, I resently got a pair of orthotics to hopefully correct tarsal tunnel pain. Well, when I started wearing them the tts pain started to go away immediatly but a new problem has arisen. About 5 days into wearing the orthotics I started to get pain on the top of my foot that shoots down to my toes, it really hurts and burns bad! Do you know of any reason why I am having this problem.I can bearly tie my shoes, I've been wearing them extremely loose and it still hurts. Need some kind of clue, it you have one. Thank, Lynn

Re: Breaking in orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 1/16/04 at 10:35 (142183)

Where exactly is the pain? Is it between toes? Are you wearing different shoes?

Lynn M. on 1/16/04 at 11:00 (142194)

Hi Richard, The pain seems to be from the middle of the top of my feet. It radiates down to mainly my big toe (sharp stabbing pain), it also burns. No I haven't changed shoes, but I'm thinking about going to get a shoe that has more room in the toe box and just more room for my foot and orthotic- this is really bothering me. I was wondering if my foot being put in a new position is pinching the nerves on top of my feet? Is that possible, I hope not because the orthotics are helping the tts pain.

Julie on 1/16/04 at 11:52 (142203)

Lynn, before I read your second post I felt that the shoes were probably the problem. The shoes you're wearing may not have room for the orthotics - try a pair with a higher (and possibly also wider) toebox quickly and see if it makes a difference. I have a feeling it will. Toebox height is awfully important, often overlooked.

I have been wearing North Face Targas ever since I got my orthotics - they have lots of room in the toebox and are otherwise a good, supportive shoe. They're essentially a hiking shoe, so they have a thick sole, lots of tread, and good cushioning.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/16/04 at 14:30 (142214)

Some orthotics that are made are just to thick for certain shoes. Do see if you can find a shoe with a deeper toe box. When you try on shoes, use your orthotic. Also, if possible, take the insole out of the shoe, then put in your orthotic.

Debbie D. on 1/22/04 at 09:15 (142621)

I was casted for orthotics yesterday for TTS. I have been in physical therapy for almost 5 months, treating the pain and swelling, and it is helping. Orthotics were prescribed for me because of the TTS. I certainly hope that I get even more relief from them. It sounds like you are getting some relief. As far as shoes go, I've been wearing Easy Spirits. They have a removable insole, and the casual shoes I wear are high top booties, which also have a removable insole. The orthotics should work in my shoes. Both my sneakers and casual shoes have a square toe box. You might want to check out the Easy Spirit line.