Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions/Poll for those who have had release surgery

Posted by Mike on 1/16/04 at 09:48 (142178)

I see alot of posts here from people who have had surgery but have not seen any improvement, or the pain has returned after a year or so, or it has actually become worse. In addition, though this is the TTS board, I see alot of other conditions such as Mortons Neroma, PF, PT, etc.

I am scheduled for release surgery at the end of Jan and after a long battle with my insurance co., I am gonna have to pay for it myself.
For my own research, I would like to ask the following questions of anyone who has undergone release or similar surgery.

1) Condition - What exactly are/were you suffering from?
2) Surgery date
3) Type of Dr that performed surgery (Ortho surgeon, podiatrist, etc)
4) What proceedure(s) were performed? (Release in tunnel only, more than one release location, etc)
5) Recovery time - how long before you were 'mostly' back to normal (without pain)
6) Was it successfull? (Yes/No or %)
7) Are you diabetic? (Type?)
8) Do you know what caused your condition?
9) Did insurance cover your surgery?

Feel free to elaborate on any of your answers.
Thanks for your time and I wish everyone success in their quest to be pain free.

Re: Questions/Poll for those who have had release surgery

Faye J on 1/16/04 at 10:50 (142188)

Mike, I too had a lot of questions, and this message board did seem to have a lot of people who didn't get much help from TTS surgery. But I decided to go with the surgery. I had surgery 12/09/03 I had two large varicose veins compressing the nerve, they were too close to the artery so he had to move them and attach them with some scar tissue so they won't move, I also had a ligament lengthen and a heal spur removed. I was in a cast for two weeks, I will be in a boot until 2/08/04 then maybe into a soft shoe. I followed the doctors instructions, (I think that is the key to succes). I was not allowed to put any weight on it for 5 weeks.I didn't get my stitches out until then.I have been improving right on schedule. I hope to be back to work March 1st. My insurance will pay 80% and Part of the deductable. I would say my surgery is a succes so far.My other foot is now hurting more than the one I had surgery on, I will be having surgery on it in May. I had a podiatrist do my surgery, and I am not a diabetic. I hope this will help you. Fay J

Lari S. on 1/16/04 at 19:37 (142234)

In answer to your questions:
1) I had nerve burning and pain to the point that I could not wear a shoe anymore on my left foot, stand any type of sheet or blanket touching it, or enjoy the active lifestyle I had before this started. I was told that it was diabetic neuropathy and that nothing other than taking neurotin could be done for over 3 years. It got progressively worse. I was finally DX'd with TTS and went through PT, shots, icing, etc. with little relief.
2) I finally had surgery October 3, 2003.
3) I was lucky enough to find a podiatric surgeon (who DX'd the TTS) that moved here from a large hospital in Sacramento that was very fimiliar with TTS.
4) Release in the tt area, 3 vericose veins, shredding ligaments, and a small aneurism in the artery.
5) I am still recovering from the surgery, set back by 2 major infections at the incision site. (I was on antibiotics prior to and after surgery, and the site completely enclosed in a soft cast.) I've gone to wound therapy and PT 3 x's per week for the past 2 months in addition to seeing my doctor each week for debrideing. I am now attached to a KCI Vacuum Pump that is working great to fill in and enclose the gapping wound area. However, the TTS pain is pretty much gone and has been since after the surgery. I got out of the boot last week and went in to Merrell clogs with custom inserts to accomodate the vac pump. Those are the first shoes I've worn other than Birk sandals in 4 years.
6) YES, AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT, even with all I've been through in recovery. I can actually sleep through the night with covers over my foot and wear shoes. Now, if I could just get my PF under control I would be one happy lady.
7) I am a Type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump.
8) My Dr. is not sure exactly what caused the TTS, but feels that my extremely high arches contributed to the shredding ligaments, along with the vein/artery problems.
9)My insurance covered 100% of the surgery, all follow-up visits, plus 100% of the PT, wound therapy and the wound pump.

I wish you well on whatever you decide to do. Each case is so different. I followed my Dr.s instructions to the letter, kept off my foot and kept it elevated for 3 weeks, non-weight bearing for 5 weeks, simple exercises to reduce scar tissue, etc., etc. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it goes.
Lari

Carol D on 1/17/04 at 08:28 (142258)

Hi Mike,

I had surgery on June 5, 2003. I had had TTS symptoms for 1 year, steadily worsening. Burning on the ball of foot, shock pains (intermittent), and difficulty with much weight-bearing activity due to it worsening symptoms. I had no response to conservative treatments. I was finally diagnosed as having a Schwannoma tumor in the tarsal tunnel area through an MRI. I had sought out the MD who wrote the chapter on 'nerve compression' in a foot and ankle orthopoedic text. He is an orthopoedic surgeon. He excised the tumor and did TTs release. I was told to have my foot above my heart for the first week, on crutches for 6 weeks, began PT about 7 weeks (massage of scar, followed by aquatic therapy). I have had very good results. I have had no return of TTS symptoms. The healing from the surgery is long. My foot became 'tired and achy' with much use. Now, I do almost anything, except weight bearing aerobics. I was able to do long distance biking from about month #4---I anticipate a full recovery (including hiking and aerobics), but anticipate a full year to be at that point. As to cause, my MD says there are many reasons why a 'cell may go awry and start duplicating'. I had insurance problems--my HMO would not refer me to the MD I had located; I was lucky because I became eligible for Medicare at the time I was finally ready for surgery. I was definitely at the point that I would have paid for it myself. I believe my surgeons fee was about $5,000. and it was done on an 'outpatient' basis. Good luck. This is a long journey, but there can be positive outcomes. Carol D

bluestella on 1/17/04 at 18:14 (142287)

Well i had tts after having a break in my heel. Caused by way too much standing and retail! So i have release surgery on may 22nd of 2003! I still havent seen that much improvement. Actually i think its worse. Podiatrist. Release in the tunnel area. Not diabetic! No insurance so i am still battling with the lawyers and that. I have even been refused medical treatment but just finally now started getting some physical therapy! Which i think its great cause its some exercise cause my foot is stiff. I still am in a wheelchair. I wear a walking boot. I have excess swelling! And lots of pain! I am on neurotrin and evail and tramadol. And also taking horsechestnut! some herbal stuff my dr recommended me. I havent noticed that much of a change! But i do have no more burning in my toes. But have also been diagonised with PF now! And crps? Something like that. bye hope this helped some!

Melissa on 1/18/04 at 20:20 (142336)

I had TTS surgery 11/12/2003 after having pf for 5 years and rupturing the ligament doing aerobics in 6/03. This caused scar tissue which caused the tts. My inside ankle was totally numb and painful by the time of surgery. I would say I had a great podiatrist who did minimal incision (11/2 inches) and used very little suture material and the suture he did use was very fine, all to help minimize scar tissue which can be the cause of a failed surgery. He also put me in a cast for 3 weeks then another 2 weeks on crutches. I just started PT a week ago. I feel great, numbness is gone and healing is occurring. My poditrist said to be careful of doctors who do long incisions, it can really complicate your surgery and recovery- the less the better. I was covered under Aetna HMO and they did cover 100% of my surgery-only after 6 mos of conservative treatment- taping, injection, etc. I did have to pay for my own orthotics. I live in Oklahoma...

Mark T on 1/18/04 at 21:06 (142338)

1) Had TTS in left foot and suffer from PF in both feet.

2)Oct. 4th 2002 TTS release surgery

3)My podiatrist performed the surgery. (He is a surgeon too)

4) TTS release surgery, he found a varicose vein and also checked and released a second location.

5) Off work for 12 weeks. Mostly waiting on stitches to heal. I had some pain while working until July 2003.

6) 100% successful, but did have my big toe nail quit growing and it grew a new nail. The new nail didn't form right and the podiatrist needs to cut both sides of the nail to fix it.

7) No

8) Suffered from TTS and PF for 6 years. I think most of my foot problems were from racing motocross for 8 years when I was a teenager (now 42 years old). I had CTS release on my throttle hand and TTS release on my shifting foot.

9) insurance covered all of the surgery. The only cost to me was two co-pay office visits of $40 and meds. The podiatrist included all office visits into the price of the surgery, so all office visits after the surgery until I went back to work were no co-payments. I choosed short term disability through work instead of workers comp. Because I didn't file any claims of injury through the workplace and didn't want to worry about not being able to pay my bills if workers comp gave me the run around.

chris on 1/20/04 at 08:02 (142432)

1) tts and pf in right foot
2) 11/9/00
3) Dx by a pod intern, surgery by an ortho
4) removed fatty tissue entraping a vein and pf release
5) 6 - 8 months (needed pt because of scar tissue development)
6) yes 100% - told it may redevelop - woudl have procedure again if it does
7) diabetic - no
8) I believe it started after I twisted my ankle - but not sure
9) insurance covered 100% - but I am a military spouse and went to a miltary hospital.

You did nto ask how long I suffered with pain before having surgery - pain began sometime in Feb '00.

Linda on 1/21/04 at 06:28 (142516)

1) Condition - What exactly are/were you suffering from? TARSAL TUNNEL SYNDROME,PLANTAR FASCIITIS,HEEL SPUR
2) Surgery date 12/14/01,AND 3/24/02
3) Type of Dr that performed surgery (Ortho surgeon, podiatrist, etc) PODIATRIST
4) What proceedure(s) were performed? (Release in tunnel only, more than one release location, etc) TARSAL TUNNEL RELEASE,FASCIA RELEASE,HEEL SPUR EXCISION
5) Recovery time - how long before you were 'mostly' back to normal (without pain) I HAVE NEVER BEEN WITHOUT PAIN,ALTHOUGH WHEN I HAD RADIATION FOR TUMORS IN MY ARM RECENTLY,I WAS PUT ON A MEDICATION CALLED 'NEURONTIN' FOR NERVE PAIN,AND MY FEET FELT PAIN FREE. MY PODIATRIST JUST PUT ME BACK ON IT,AND MY FEET ARE STARTING TO FEEL BETTER. I WOULDN'T SUGGEST GETTING THIS PROCEDURE DONE. I DID PHYSICAL THERAPY UNTIL THIS SPRING,AND IT ONLY GAVE TEMPORARY RELIEF. TRY ANY ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES YOU CAN,ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT YOURSELF.
6) Was it successfull? (Yes/No or %)NO
7) Are you diabetic? (Type?)NO
8) Do you know what caused your condition? FLAT FEET I GUESS. I WAS A PERSONAL TRAINER,AND WORKED OUT 6 DAYS A WEEK,AND I THINK I PUT A LOT OF WEAR AND TEAR ON MY FEET.
9) Did insurance cover your surgery? YES 100%

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

Terri on 1/24/04 at 16:04 (142787)

I'm new to this site and happy to see I'm not alone. In response to your poll:
1. TTS in both feet.
2. First surgery just completed on Jan. 2, 2004 and still in recovery
3. My podiatrist is also my surgeon. He's one of the few in this area that will do TTS release surgery.
4. Release in 3 areas, nerves and tendons both.
5. See #2
6. Don't know yet, but after only 3 weeks the dr. is very happy with my progress so far. When testing the area, I exhibited no tingling as before. One thing I don't care for is a permanent numbness in my heel. He did warn me this would happen before he did the surgery.
7. No
8. My dr. told me I was a prime candidate for this. It appears I have no fat under the skin to protect the nerves. He stated that upon making the incision, my nerve literally popped out at him. You're supposed to have 3 layers of fat under the skin, I had only 1 thin layer. I was always on my feet and very active. I've had pain and severe foot and leg cramps for years, gradually increasing as time went on. Two years ago I realized I was in real trouble when our family went to the state fair and I only lasted for 1/2 hour before they parked me on a bench. I pretty much stayed there the rest of the day while they went off and had fun, then would come and visit me. That's when I knew something had to be done!
9. Yes, it did. I did have to pay for my orthotics in full though, $300.00, and my post-op visits are included in the dr.'s surgery charge. My surgery was done out-patient with a $100.00 deductible. I'm in an HMO and they haven't given me any trouble, even covered the rental of my wheelchair.

Mike on 1/26/04 at 00:42 (142847)

Well thanks to all for responding! Seems like most have had success which makes me feel better about dropping $30k on the deal. Worth every penny to get my life back. Im scheduled on 1/30 with Dr. Dellon. Have to fly down to Tucson but will be nice to get out of here as we just got 8' of snow today.

I'll report back with my outcome.

Thanks again!