Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery in 2 weeks

Posted by rsk on 1/19/04 at 08:26 (142356)

Hi group

I have decided to go for EPF in the next couple of weeks for my left foot (I have pf in both feet) . I am really concerned abt any complications that may arise as a result of the surgery. But I am gona go for it anyways as I have tried all the conservative methods. can somebody pls tell me what kinda complications that may arise due to this surgery. How much of the facia is generally cut and what are the long tem implications of this surgery. I have a high arch and very tight calf and hamstrings. I read that the surgery is more likely to be successful in ppl with high arches. is this right. Pls help

thanks...cheers

rsk

Re: surgery in 2 weeks

Pauline on 1/19/04 at 13:17 (142375)

Hi Rsk,
If you read the surgery board I'm not sure that you can say EPF surgery is likely to be more successful in people with higher arches. All types of people have posted here and I think both have had various outcomes.

Since the P.F. band is the main support to the foot my guess about your success statement perhaps is based on the fact that a higher arch may be lowered less than a flatter arch following the surgery and therefore because a great amount of arch still remains the person with a higher arch will have less problem. An interesting thought, but I don't know if any published medical studies have been done to prove or disprove this premise.

There can always be complications from any surgery and no guarantees come with P.F. surgery that says it will indeed make you pain free. My opinion is that this is probably the biggest falacy associated with this surgery. The other one is that you'll be walking on your foot in 2 days to a week.

Various complications can and do occur. Topping the list would be infection and nerve damage with or with out TTS leaving you in continual and constant pain, from TTS or RSDS. You can also experience slow healing, swelling, develop lateral column syndrome,and painful scar tissue. In addition, you may experience the return of your same symptoms prior to surgery and you may be required to use orthotics for the rest of your life.

Only you can determine that surgery is right for you. Please do your homework ahead of time and be prepared to accept the out come of your decision whether it's good or bad. Remember the other side of this coin is that you could feel better. You have to weight the facts, do the homework and make the decision. Best of luck with your final decision.

Re: surgery in 2 weeks To RSK

Bud P on 1/19/04 at 23:40 (142416)

RSK,
I had EPF surgery 12 weeks ago today. It was the best decision I have ever made concerning my feet. I still deal with a little bit of pain which seems to be post operative. Most of the pain is a tender sore feeling like a bruise. At this time I have no, I repeat no PF pain at all. The nagging intense pain when you sit or walk or drive or try to sleep. I have no first step pain at all in the morning. I set myself back a week ago by painting some walls in my home. It involved me stretching on my tip toes to reach high places. I was worried that I may have over did it and caused the PF to come back. But it didn't. I just was sore for a few days. Basicly the pain I deal with is sore feet like maybe burning. It is minumal though.I would say that I am 95% better. If I continue to progress like I am,another month or two I may be 100%. Then I will try to go back to running on treadmill and working out.

What I will tell you is this. The first week don't plan on doing anything except to the bathroom and kitchen etc. Use the boot they give you and crutches. Days 3 and 4 are the bad days. If things go right for you,you could be walking with just the boot by day 7. From that point on go at your own pace just don't over do it.
The doctor cut approximately 1/3 of my fascia. He did take pictures and show me what he cut.
I just want to remind you that things can go wrong. I have talked to a great deal of people on this site that surgery did not work for, I also have talked to just as many who had successful surgeries. What ever your decision, good luck and let me know how things went.

You can also go to the site on this board that people give their progress and rate the doctor. I was able to talk to many of the people from that site who had good surgeries. They also told me what to expect. Take care,

Bud

Re: For Bud P.

BrianG on 1/23/04 at 13:04 (142729)

Sorry Bud, but I missed your question on Jan 11th, as I took some time off. It was about qualifying for SSD. No, PF is not on the list of qualified disabilities for SSD. You can be approved though, if you add one or two other disabilities to the original diagnosis. In my case, it was PF, chronic pain, and depression. All were related to the PF, but it comes down to how the application is completed, and if your doctor will stand up for you. Not to mention, it's probably best to also be treated for each of your ailments.

Regards
BrianG

Re: surgery in 2 weeks

Nancy B on 2/09/04 at 21:17 (144018)

I just had the surgery done in both feet at six weeks apart. I asked my dr How many of these have you done?
How many went badly?
What are the risks?
Do you have pain management afterwards?
Do you provide close follow up post surgical?

He answered all my questions honestly and I went for it too. I could not go on like that,,,,I could no longer work,,,thank God for hubby!
The recocery time

is different in every person, I was told. It can take up to a year to totally heal, but it is something I am glad I did. I also stayed in the walking boot for SIX WEEKS. That was a very important point for my dr. He told of other physicians that went to a shoe too soon,and there were complications as a result. I like the boot, it helps me. I take it off to shower and sleep, otherwise, it is on my foot. Rest easy, I believe after we have tried everything, this is the only answer left. The stats are good,,,,99% success rate. Good Luck and Godspeed!
Get pain pills too! Helps without measure!