Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

kenalog and lidocaine injection directly into the achilles tendon

Posted by j watts on 1/19/04 at 17:36 (142389)

I have achilles tendonitis due to the mechanics of my aging feet. Last week i was given a support and injection of Kenalog and Lidocaine from my local Pod. In speaking to my primary M.D., he said injections into the achilles tendon are contraindicated and can weaken the tendon in the long run. I have an appointment to go back for another injection and to get moldable orthotics. Should I get the injection. My tendoitis is so much better after the injection Jwatts

Re: kenalog and lidocaine injection directly into the achilles tendon

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/19/04 at 20:19 (142403)

Are you sure he injected into the achilles? Your medical doctor is correct . This type of injection can lead to rupture. No local steriod injections into the achilles tendon is the standard of care

Re: kenalog and lidocaine injection directly into the achilles tendon

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/21/04 at 15:49 (142550)

Injections of cortisone into tendons is a controverisal topic. Although I generally avoid cortisone injections around tendons, there are times that these injections can be beneficial. However, if a cortisone injection is given, the tendon must be supported/protected and activity must be limited to avoid complications. Additionally, REPEATED injections into the tendon should be avoided. There are many articles regarding cortisone injections performed on the tendons of rabbits, and many of these studies did not show any increase in tendon rupture or tendon weakness. However, as previously stated, if a steroid injection is given, the area must be temporarily immobilized and repeat injections should be avoided.