Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Two & Three Strip Taping

Posted by john h on 1/20/04 at 10:10 (142439)

It is hard to take a good picture of your foot but here is my two strip method and three step method of taping using Leuko tape. You will have to dorsiflex your foot to your own taste. Remember the less you ben your foot upwards (dorsiflex) when taping the tighter the tape will be. Do not run the tape up on the back of your heel very much as you can create achilles tendon problems.

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b341d969c413

Re: Two & Three Strip Taping

Rick R on 1/20/04 at 13:21 (142454)

Thanks John. It appears our methods approach the challenge from completely different directions. It looks to me like you are restricting the degree of strain by creating a chord from the heel to the ball of the foot. I make no attempt to do this with my usual method. I wrap around under the arch over the top of the foot as close to the ankle as possible. One common observation, we both are careful not to put pressure on the achilles. I do anchor the tape with a wrap around the ankle but must be careful not to get it too tight. The technology to post pictures is within my grasp; the time however, still eludes me.

Rick

Suzanne D. on 1/20/04 at 17:14 (142475)

Thanks for posting these pictures, John. There have been several inquiries about taping lately, and this should help a great deal. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! I do the same 2-strip method, but I think I'll try the 3-step method sometime when I feel the need to tape.

Right now, my feet seem to be happy with the Birkenstock Maderas which I bought about six weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's just the change or if it's really the new shoes that are helping. I use in them the removeable footbeds which were modified for my Annapolis shoes. They feel even better in the Maderas than they do the Annapolis. I imagine that is partly due to the fact that I can wear thick socks with the Maderas and wear hose with the Annapolis.

Thanks again for posting the photos.
Suzanne :)

BrianG on 1/21/04 at 14:31 (142549)

Hey John,

Thanks for the 3 step method, I'll try it next time that I tape. I was just wondering if you have natural albino feet, or do you have to bleach them :)

Regards
BrianG

John H on 1/21/04 at 16:18 (142553)

Hey Brian my feet have not seen the sun since last summer. I knew I would get a comment on the closeup of my feet. As I do not wear socks with my Birks (only wimps do) I usually have tanned feet.

Re: Socks and Birks

Julie on 1/21/04 at 16:39 (142558)

OK John, let's give this hoary old topic another airing. I am sitting here at my Mac with my Orange Socks and my black Arizonas. Wanna make something of it?

And don't let me hear you call me a wimp, or I'll show you what I'm made of....

;-)

Julie on 1/21/04 at 16:41 (142559)

Brian, pay no attention to John. Only wimps use the three-strip method. Two-strip is best.
:)

Rick R on 1/21/04 at 16:43 (142560)

Well I learned my lesson. I'll have the makeup crew apply a canned tan before I post anything. So, once I have photo's on the PC, what do I need to do to share them with the whole class? I have managed to email pictures so far but what else do I need to know so I can gross folks out with my duct taped feet?

Rick

marie on 1/21/04 at 18:06 (142572)

Rick,

Go to http://www.shutterfly.com and set up an account. Follow the instructions on how to upload a photo. Once you have successfully loaded all your photos go to the top menu and select share on line. You will need to email your album to someone or yourself. When it's finished it will give you a link...copy and paste the link here.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

best wishes marie

wendyn on 1/21/04 at 20:01 (142579)

Rick, if you're going to take the time to take pictures of your feet and post them - we certainly expect to see a picture of YOU!!!!!

JudyS on 1/21/04 at 21:36 (142595)

All cool people wear sox with their birks......
when ya gonna' get with the program John h?

JudyS on 1/21/04 at 21:38 (142597)

I think we might need a contest.....
who's feet are better - John's or Rick's?

John H on 1/21/04 at 21:41 (142598)

Orange socks or a gal ok-- Orange socks on me-- send help quick--

I do remember buying a lot of argyles in scotland in the late 50's in Prestwick. I looked sort of cool in those and even the local lasses thought so..

John H on 1/21/04 at 21:44 (142599)

Rick: Wendy is very sensitive about pictures so watch your step. She has made Scott somehow remove several of her pictures from the board. Her latest is with dark glasses on a boat. Not sure what this all means or what hold she has over Scott who marches to his own drum. Post a picture of Brad Pitt and name him Rick. that should work.

JudyS on 1/21/04 at 22:04 (142602)

John - may I break this to you gently?
.....Argyles may not be too....well....cool...with your birks :)
better your lovely feet!

wendyn on 1/21/04 at 23:14 (142605)

John, all of those pictures are getting pretty old (the one of me sitting at the table is at least 4 years old - the boat one is over 2). I have newer ones, but I have not gotten around to sending them to Scott. Now that I have a digital camera, I keep thinking that I could post a picture of my lumpy feet. But, my feet look like crap - been a long time since I had a pedicure and they look awfully neglected.

Julie on 1/22/04 at 02:43 (142609)

Today my socks are red, John.

I'd bin the argyles. Judy is right.

Rick R on 1/22/04 at 12:43 (142641)

I'm not sure you can take it, just how tough are you!!

Rick R on 1/22/04 at 13:03 (142643)

Thanks for the recon. How do we know the Wendy pictures are really her? Could just be the stunt Wendy. The dark glasses are a warning sign. A video clip of the duck walk would be more convincing.

Rick

marie on 1/22/04 at 19:48 (142670)

Thanks for the giggles all! I think we should have a foot beauty contest. We can have categories and everything...socks, no socks, swimsuit and evening gown and of course each foot will have to answer a question. LOL.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/22/04 at 21:03 (142677)

John, until I read your post I did not even realize those were feet. They were so white that I thought you had done some sort of pre-wrap! They are without a doubt the whitest feet I have ever seen in my life.

You do need to get out when it gets a little warmer. :)

By the way, I like argyle socks.

Carole

Rick R on 1/23/04 at 06:45 (142690)

Yes, it is hot and stuffy in here.

Rick's Foot

BrianG on 1/23/04 at 12:23 (142725)

John, your lucky you don't live in New England, or you would have packed up your Birks months ago!! I wear white 'Wright walking socks' once it gets cold. I must not be using enough bleach in my laundry, as your feet are still whiter than my socks, hahahaaa.

Regards
BrianG

john h on 1/23/04 at 13:01 (142728)

Brian I wonder if a tanning salon can work on my feet? In the summer you can see where the straps of the Birks are on my feet from the sun (no socks). Last night my wife asked me why I was looking at my feet? I could not tell her I am being hounded by people because they are not tanned. Just wait till the pool opens Bubba my feet will be the first thing to see the sun. Come to think of it I may just use Photo Shop and touch up those babies and repost. It was probably just bad lighting when I took those.