Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Cheryl on 1/20/04 at 11:44 (142449)

hello . I am a 42 year old female who had surgery 4 years ago for a mortons nueroma in my right foot. I thought everything was fine so far with that till now I am getting horrible pain in the very bottom of the same foots heel . i know it has to be plantars or a heel spur. It is very painful after working 16 hours which I have to do a lot. the pain is like there is a rock in the bottom of hell and hurts to walk. could this be related to the mortons nueroma that was in the ball of the foot, or just unrelated and just happened to the same foot . I have been to so many ortho pods before I know what they will do. the cortisone and the inserts etc and they never work. they always give me naproxen to try to calm it and it does nothing. Is there some other drug out there that can help with heel pain?

Re: heel pain

BrianJ on 1/20/04 at 13:51 (142455)

Hi Cheryl --

It's likely that you have plantar fasciitis (sometimes generically known as a 'heel spur'). Please read the Heel Pain Book, which will give you helpful information. You should also see a good podiatrist to ensure that your problem is PF and not something else.

While drugs can offer some pain relief, it is better to address the core problem with rest and appropriate treatment. Please do this now before the problem becomes chronic. PF is a tough problem, so you must be diligent and patient.

carolyn s on 1/20/04 at 19:48 (142491)

had the exact same experience with surgery, except pain is at ball of foot.
any help??
How do you tape??

Holly on 1/21/04 at 12:42 (142545)

I have had pain in my heel for a while now. It now has a big bump on it. Do you know what the problem may be? Or any solution on how to relieve this pain i am having

Re: Heel Pain

Brandon on 1/21/04 at 20:36 (142585)

I am 23 years old, physically active, and athletic. Recently I had an IM Rod removed from my left femur. I was off of my left leg for about 4 weeks. I favored my right leg for about 4 weeks after that. When I began running again I started having slight heel pain in my right foot. Thinking it was possibly my mid-mileage New Balances, I purchased a new pair to run in. The discomfort persisted. I would like to know if it would be good idea to try OTC ibuprofan or go to my orthopedic doctor for a prescription anti-inflammatory.

Re: Heel Pain

Julie on 1/22/04 at 02:29 (142607)

It would be a good idea to stop running for now. If you have plantar fasciitis, running will make it worse. Anti-inflammatories can help relieve the pain (and reduce the inflammation) but it's a very bad idea to use them to mask the pain so that you can run.

Read the heel pain book for information about PF and conservative treatments for it, and see a good podiatrist for a full evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment programme.