Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Second pair of orthotics - another question for all

Posted by francesc on 1/20/04 at 15:32 (142463)

well, i finally got my new pair of orthotics yesterday from my podiatrist. he had them made with a more flexible, less rigid plastic but they were made from the same impressions that my other ones were.

is it possible for me to know right away that the left foot still isn't right? i know i just had them for a day but, it seems like here i go again with the pain in metarsal area (big toe) and down the middle of my foot. i only wore them for a few hours yesterday afternoon and a few this morning.

the thing is that the right orthotic is great and makes my PF feel much better but, the left still doesn't seem right. should i try them for a few more days?

how often does it happen that the impression isn't made right? my pod seemed to do all the right things -- i was seated, he pushed my foot in. but, i don't know how else to explain that the left orthotic just never seems comfortable while the right seems comfy right away (within an hour).

thanks and hope you're not sick of hearing from me!

-frances

Re: Second pair of orthotics - another question for all

Richard, C.Ped on 1/21/04 at 08:03 (142522)

When anyone comes in for a second pair, I always tell them that they will know if something does not feel right since they have been wearing orthotics already. It is hard to tell if the cast is correct without seeing it. I can tell if someone 'helped' me when I was taking an impression. There will be a 'dip' in the cast just behind the met heads. That tells me that as I was pushing, they also were pushing their foot down. Could this have happened?

Re: Second pair of orthotics - another question for all

francesc on 1/21/04 at 15:56 (142551)

hi richard,

thanks for answering so quickly.

to be honest, i'm not sure if this happened. it was a while ago when i had that impression taken. just for my info, what do you mean by a 'dip' behind the metarsal heads? does that mean that the orthotic would come out more pronounced there or less? just trying to visualize what you mean. also, how do you think that would affect the feeling of the orthotic on the foot?

i know these are all things i need to talk to my pod about but, he's not the easiest person to discuss these things with. he doesn't seem to listen to me completely.

thanks,
frances