Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hallux Rigidus and Tailor's bunnionette bilaterally

Posted by Connie on 1/20/04 at 16:42 (142473)

Hi!

I have had total joint replacement in both my big toes for hallux rigidus but I still have some pain under my first toes near the navicular bones and also pain on the sides of my feet near both little toes. Custom orthotics made no difference to the pain. Would the tailor's bunion on each little toe cause the majority of the pain left. More Surgery? Thanks

Re: Hallux Rigidus and Tailor's bunnionette bilaterally

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/20/04 at 17:17 (142477)

It is very hard to determine without examining you. It is possible that the joint is elevated. Do you big toes touch the ground. Tough to help in your situation. May want to get a second opinion if there is over six months post surgery

Connie on 1/21/04 at 20:20 (142582)

If my big toe joint is elevated, wlll surgery be indicated to correct. Is this another big surgery? Even though I have an implant my first toe is considerably shorter than the second toe. Could this bone reabsorbed or retracted so soon? Could this be the cause and if it is, can you can anything about it? My current podiatrist told me to walk on my big toe but I have a very hard time doing this Why aren't my orthotics helping me?

How much do tailor bunions play in the mechanics of your foot? When do you correct tailor bunions?

I have made an appointment with a different podiatrist.

In the meantime, any information would be useful. Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/04 at 20:46 (142590)

You may need a fusion of the big toe joint. How is the range of motion at the joint. Is the joint still jamming?

Connie on 1/21/04 at 21:04 (142594)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I have a good range of motion. I really don't ever want my toe joints fused. If necesary can't another type of joint be placed in both big toes? Thanks Connie

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/04 at 21:36 (142596)

Ok. The range of motion is good that is a very good sign. Another possible reason is the entire first ray is elevated off the ground. I need to examine you. Ask your doctor if he or she thinks you have metatarsus elevatus.This is where the big toe joint is off the ground and you are shifting your weight to the outside of your foot.

Connie on 1/21/04 at 21:47 (142600)

I have an appointment the first week of February. Thanks so much for the advice!!!!

michelem on 1/23/04 at 11:27 (142721)

I am having problems with the lateral portion of my foot. I was running yesterday and I had to stop only 20 minutes into my workout. The pain goes from right under my calcanous bone working it's way laterally to under my foot. It's not my heel that hurts. I noticed that my shoes start pointing up in front(like an elf) after I have worn them for awhile. Could I not be runnning right? I am stretching like crazy. One of my friends thinks that it is plantar fasciitis. I don't know what it is but it hurts. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do or what it might possibly be? Thanks for helping me out.
sincerely,
michele