Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

onset of pain - slow or sudden?

Posted by anne on 1/21/04 at 20:26 (142584)

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what people's first experiences of PF were. I just find it strange because i know someone else who has PF and her pain started slowly, whereas with mine, the onset was quite sudden and dramatic and within 2 days I had to crawl even to go from my bedroom to the bathroom because it hurt so much to put any weight through my foot. It seems strange that the same condition can be so different. What have your experiences been?

Re: onset of pain - slow or sudden?

R C on 1/21/04 at 22:36 (142604)

Mine was sudden. I was moving heavy furniture. I didn't feel a snap, but the signs of fatigue were there, and I should have stopeed (and hired professionals).
The next morning I had the classic PF signs.

Buck T. on 1/22/04 at 11:07 (142634)

Mine started slowly and I attempted to ignore it. I just retired and took part time job as mental health worker. Much time spent on concrete in wards. It started then, but don't know if job really had anything to do with it.

Mark S on 1/22/04 at 19:23 (142667)

Sudden. It happened at mile 6 of a 20 mile training run (which I completed). In fact, I can point out the exact block where I first felt the pain.

But my FIRST experience with pf was different. It was 10 years ago and it was slow onset. Plus I had the classic symptoms - like morning pain which I don't have now. And, unlike now, it was gone inside of three months.

I'm wondering how much *age* affects ability to heal. Hmmmmmmm....

Carole C in NOLA on 1/22/04 at 21:09 (142678)

Mine began very suddenly. I know the exact hour when I first felt PF pain. Before then, my feet were remarkably hardy and pain free. However, my PF was caused by injury due to an injudicious new exercise regimen that I had just started.

Mine was also fairly severe because it took me two months to figure out what had caused it, and to quit doing it!

I am no expert, but I tend to think that those whose PF comes on very suddenly and strong, like yours, may have injured their feet somehow like I did. I tend to think that those whose PF comes on more slowly, might have feet that are weaker and whose hurt originates simply with normal standing and walking.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/22/04 at 21:21 (142679)

Anne, mine started during a week of summer school. One day it just hurt to walk; every step I took with my left foot found me trying to walk on the edge of my foot somehow to keep from stepping on the heel.

But knowing what I know now, I believe I had signs long before that, but I didn't realize they were anything but 'tired' feet. My arches would hurt then, and usually changing shoes helped, or getting off my feet for awhile. I didn't know about plantar fasciitis and just thought my feet would always 'snap back' after such episodes.

Best wishes,
Suzanne :)

Julie on 1/23/04 at 02:28 (142683)

Mine began gradually, a couple of weeks after a minor back injury. It started with a minor, nagging pain in the classic spot, and took about a week to become severe. Both the osteopath who was treating my back, and the podiatrist I saw on her recommendation, thought it was caused by impingement of the sciatic nerve. I think they were probably right, though of course it could have been coincidence. But I've always felt that the nerve impingement was simply the trigger that tipped me into PF, after a lifetime of walking on slightly flat feet, and slightly over-pronating.

I think there's a parallel with the mythical 'slipped' (actually prolapsed) disc. The classic case of 'sudden onset' is the person who says, 'I bent over to take something out of the oven and I couldn't straighten up'. But this doesn't just happen, it's usually the cumulative result of a lifetime of using the body in a particular way.

PF is a repetitive motion injury. When you think about the punishment most of us subject our feet to, not least the less-than-perfect shoes most of us wear (especially women) it's not really surprising that it's such a common ailment. Also, the individual case of PF may not have only one contributory cause: it can be a combination of factors, as I think it was in my case. This may be why it can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint the cause(s) and this is why I keep batting on about the need for professional podiatric help.

Age is certainly a factor, Mark.The ability of our tissues to heal diminishes as we age - everything takes longer. Young people have a much better chance of healing quickly - but of course it's young people who usually find it so much more difficult to be sensible and stop doing whatever it was that brought PF on. I don't think you'd find many oldies who'd run through the pain - apart, of course, from john h. ;)

Kathy G on 1/23/04 at 08:26 (142694)

Mine was gradual and I ignored it thinking it would go away. Big mistake! But I had a Morton's Neuroma for wich I was being treated and just thought it had something to do with that so I never bothered to mention the increased pain in my arch area to my doctor. That's my explanation for my stupididity; I hate to admit I was just plain dumb!

Rachael T. on 1/23/04 at 13:05 (142730)

Suzanne, My onset 3 yrs. ago was just like yours....foot hurt 1 day & hard to walk...but upon research here at heelspurs.com, I discovered that I too had symptoms maybe 10 yrs ago that I thought were 'reflexology related!' Truly, where it hurt then was when I 'squeezed' my back of my foot - where the heel connects to the leg....I thought that those spots were reflex spots & I researched those 'reflex spots'/organs in the reflexology books...well, I guess it wasn't an organ at all - just my heels & fascia beginning to 'whisper!' Weird, eh? I also would note now & then (10 yrs. ago also) - that I would say I jumped off a horse today & must have landed on a stone as I felt a bruise....well, that was PF then too! Altho', as you prob. read on Orth. & inserts & shoes Board....I am doing much better wearing Brooks Ariels & SDO's - by Dr. K. & of course, changing my lifestyle over the past year--but now, adding my old lifestyle activities back slowly - a little at a time.

ehren on 1/24/04 at 22:08 (142792)

my story: :)

back surgery for herniated disk, healed well, everything went well, according to plan, then, about 8 mos. after surgery, pf signs. i got it after playing basketball, etc. got cortisone shot, the whole works, never really got better, rather, accelerated into the leg, adn then went to the other leg! i got an mri on the back and everyone says the back looks good (orthopedist, neurosurgeon, neurologist), but pain continues in feet, adn sometimes legs. neurologist diagnosed me with tts after an emg and ncs. currently, im going crazy trying to figure it all out (a second neurologist wasnt convinced it was tts- im starting to hate doctors). i feel all out of whack and im 26 and i want to get back to feeling like im 26!
if anyone has similar experiences, knows anybody with similar experiences, please, let me know.

anyway, my pf was rather slow in its onset! didnt do anything about it until months after first twinge.