Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help! Can someone give me a suggestion?

Posted by David K on 1/21/04 at 20:51 (142591)

I have tried several things to get rid of my PF. I hope someone here can make a suggestion of something else to try or something to look for.
I got it Oct '99 since then I've tried:
- rest, icing, stretching several times for 5 or 6 wks at a time
- reducing my activity level to nil for weeks at a time
- physical therapy 3 times, for 5 or 6 weeks each time
- accupuncture
- orthotics
- a cortizone shot
- orthotripsy (Ossatron) twice
- surgery, a fascia release by a very conscientious podiatrist
- rolfing
- nothing unusual on an x-ray
- nothing unusual on an MRI
- a bone scan is mildly positive

After all this there has been no change. It is the same as it was 4+ years ago. I generally don't have a problem when I get out of bed in the morning. I can do a 15 min walk most days, but I have trouble if I try to go for a bike ride, run or walk more than a mile. I also notice it will get worse if I don't do some ham-string stretches at least once a day. FYI I'm 6' and 180lbs.

Re: Help! Can someone give me a suggestion?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/04 at 20:58 (142593)

This is classic pf. No morning pain. Research RFL on this site. This could be your answer.

BrianJ on 1/21/04 at 23:36 (142606)

Hi David --

I think Dr. Zuckerman meant to say you do NOT have classic PF, because you do not have sharp pain when you get out of bed in the morning. I've had atypical PF (like yours) for over 6 years, and have tried all of the same things you have, also without success. I'm having RFL done on February 5th, so I'll be glad to let you know if it helps me. Another poster on this board had RFL twice, and he says it has significantly decreased his pain.

HilaryG on 1/22/04 at 08:33 (142618)

I have had atypical PF for around 20 yrs and the only thing that has help has been ART. Please do a search on ART and Active Release Techniques both on this Message Board and on the Web. Also look at the websites active release.com and drabelson.com for information on ART. Good luck. Hilary

David K on 1/23/04 at 08:51 (142697)

Good luck with the procedure! And yes I'd be very interested in knowing how well it works for you.

David K on 1/23/04 at 08:52 (142698)

Thanks! I'll look into it. Good luck!

Kathy L on 1/23/04 at 10:50 (142715)

My two cents are: you are what you eat. Your body can only heal itself naturally with proper nutrition. Stretching, icing, cortizone shots, night splints, rest… these all are supportive mechanisms… but if your body doesn't have the right nutrients… it won't heal. I was watching Animal Planet, and a lady trying to heal a horse's torn ligament brought in a professional race track trainer, and he used supplements and got results where the vet had given up. Do a search on this forum for supplements. I used MSM and Coenzyme Q10, and got surprising good results.

Julie on 1/23/04 at 11:14 (142719)

Kathy, you're absolutely right. Nutrition is so important for healing, and far too little attention is given it in our discussions here.

Re: Sir : My Both Heel Pains.

mir on 1/24/04 at 13:13 (142784)

Sir,

My both heels pain right from the morning and so on i did every thing but no use i went to so many docs. but no use i would like to know cany you help me i cant run since 1 year i can just walk but not for long i cant stand for long time at one place it pains to much.

please help me.

mir