Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chiropractic manipulation of the foot/ankle?

Posted by edgar on 1/22/04 at 15:51 (142652)

I would like to get an opinion from the docs on whether this is an unsafe or safe procedure of manipulating the foot ankle joint for tendonitis or tts?

Re: Chiropractic manipulation of the foot/ankle?

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/23/04 at 15:33 (142740)

Edgar,

Chiropractic manipulation of the foot is generally not unsafe, although my personal feelings based on past experiences, is that there is minimal positive effect of the manipulation. I've had many patients in my office that had previously had a manipulation for a variety of foot problems, and any relief that was obtained was very transient. The only pathology that I've seen helped was cuboid syndrome, which is bascially a partial displacement of the cuboid. I know the ligaments and tendons of the foot very well, having performed surgery on the foot and ankle for 18 years, and can tell you that the tightness and strength of the ligaments does not physically allow someone to manipulate things back into place. In the case of a true dislocation, it is very difficult to reduce the dislocation even with the use of anesthesia, and would be too painful to perform without anesthesia.

Re: Chiropractic manipulation of the foot/ankle?

Larry T on 1/25/04 at 12:29 (142813)

A very sharp response Dr Wander. I have had patients say their Chiro 'adjusted' the bones of the foot to better position them. You are right too much tension and structure to just push bones around.