Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Primary Season in NH - NOT a political post, Scott!

Posted by Kathy G on 1/23/04 at 08:38 (142696)

Here in NH, the Democratic primaries are next Tuesday. Since the Iowa caucuses, the political candidates and their staffs have all come to NH! On Monday, I was out half the day but was still home to receive seven political phone calls in person, including four from one single candidate. That's not even counting the four messages on my machine. Remember, we've been getting at least a couple of phone calls a week for months now.

I've been involved in many political campaigns in the past but in the old days, we didn't start as early as they do now. Nonetheless, I am always nice and courteous to the people who call because I know how important these surveys are. For the most part, at this stage of the game, they just ask who you're going to vote for and I've never had a rude telephone call. But Monday, I reached the end of my rope. Maybe it was because I was waiting for news about my niece's new baby but I'd just had it.

I decided to change my answering machine so that it would pick up after two rings. And I changed the message to say that if this was a political pollster calling, I'd made the decision to write in my own name on the ballot so there was no need to call back. I told others to leave a message.

I haven't received a single political message since I changed the message! :D

Re: Primary Season in NH - NOT a political post, Scott!

Suzanne D. on 1/23/04 at 09:50 (142706)

Good thinking, Kathy! :D After all, sometimes enough is enough.

That brings to mind how our school secretary got rid of some unwanted calls. One night someone called and asked if she made decisions in her household before they started their speech. That had happened before, and she was tired of that question.

So she said loudly, 'I don't know...Just a minute. Jeff, am I allowed to make decisions?'

They hung up!

Now I'm going to read your other post and answer it and then get back to working in my basement. I took a personal day today as I have been working some almost every evening, some early mornings, and every Sunday afternoon down there, and what I thought could be a 'year-long project' is to the point that I just want to finish! I almost have my sewing/school room all in order, organized, boxed in plastic, etc. A Friday with a 7 a.m. faculty meeting (with an agenda that didn't relate to first grade) and a classroom of children who have been extra 'wired' this week seemed a good day to finish!

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/04 at 10:18 (142711)

Sounds like you are making great progress on your basement, Suzanne! I think taking a day off now and then is helpful to anyone. It helps me to regain perspective.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/04 at 10:19 (142712)

I think that's cute, Kathy! Probably the pollsters mark down your vote as 'Other'. :D