Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Snow has changed to ICE

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 1/25/04 at 15:13 (142819)

We have about 2 inches of snow & ice here in Northern Ky. Looks like tomorrow may be a snow day from school because the forecasted warmer temps didn't arrive. (yet) I need a day to clean closets but would rather
not be making up a school day in June. If you have to travel today, I hope you have a safe journey. I'm not going out in this weather, its a good day to catch up on grading papers & to bake an oven meal!

Re: Snow has changed to ICE

Suzanne D. on 1/25/04 at 15:23 (142820)

Hi, Kathy! Here is central KY, we have had no snow but plenty of ice - enough to cancel all services at our church today, and that is the first time I can remember that happening in the 17 years we've been here. (My husband's a minister.) We have had some evening services cancelled in the past, and we've had some slim attendance Sundays, but today it was just to hazardous to be out on the roads. It is supposed to warm up some tonight, so I will just have to check the radio first thing in the morning to see if our school is cancelled.

Everyone stay warm and safe!
Suzanne :)

Suzanne D. on 1/25/04 at 15:26 (142821)

ooops...That should have been 'too' hazardous, not 'to' hazardous. Now when will I learn to proofread before I post? #-o

Re: Be careful, Kathy and Suzanne! and stay warm. :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/04 at 15:56 (142823)

marie on 1/25/04 at 18:30 (142827)

The wind has picked up and we are expecting snow and freezing rain. I suspect we won't go to school in the morning but I hope everyone else who has to venture out in this will give themselves plenty of time to get there. It's hard to say how bad it will be....I hate these cold old wintery days.

Re: For Carole

marie on 1/25/04 at 18:34 (142829)

Hi Carole....I hope you are warm and snug. I just heard from my son that he got the internship at LSU. He has to be down there in early June. It'll be a real culture shock for my Northern born son. :) We plan on turning it into a quick trip and hope to hit some of the antique shops while we are in Baton Rouge.

best wishes marie

Kathy in Ky on 1/25/04 at 19:56 (142838)

My school & my husband's school were just cancelled for tomorrow. We were hoping for a 2 hr delay but better safe than sorry. Now I have no reason to not tackle that closet! (except for catching up on my soaps)

Re: For Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/04 at 21:46 (142840)

That's nice! I hope he enjoys Louisiana. Check out St. Francisville for some beautiful historic homes and antique shops. It's just a few minutes north of Baton Rouge and I've heard the antique shopping there is great.

Temperatures have been in the low 70's yesterday and today, so we are definitely having no problems in staying warm and snug right now. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 1/25/04 at 23:19 (142844)

I can relate, we have gone from very nice winter weather - to very arctic winter weather. It will be around -22F this week, which is nasty, nasty.

I don't mind so much when I get to stick around the house, but it sure makes going to work and running errands a lot more difficult.

Stay warm!

Rick R on 1/26/04 at 07:43 (142853)

Now that's stinking cold. Careful what you touch out there or you will be sticking around the house. Don't you just love driving the car when the tires retain the flat spots from the previous night. Then the suspension system has the dynamic response of a concrete block.

Rick

Kathy G on 1/26/04 at 08:58 (142855)

Gee, Wendy, I won't complain about sub-zero temperatures and windchill factors of ten to twenty below. I am really getting tired of it, though. We're really not set up for this kind of weather in southern NH but we may have to change our ways. This is the second winter in a row where we've had extended cold spells like this.

We don't have a garage. A lot of us don't. When I'm going anywhere, I go out and start my car and let it run for five or ten minutes before venturing out. It kills me to waste the gasoline but I figure it's better for my body to get into a warm car. Luckily, we live in an area where the chances of anyone stealing the running car are unlikely but it's been happening to people in the suburbs of Boston. Someone had something stolen from their car in our neighborhood recently so for the first time in my life, I start my car and sit by the window and watch while it's warming up. I could lock it with my spare key but it kills me to think I may have to resort to that.

Big news here is that we may have snow for the primaries tomorrow. It depends on how fast the storm moves and it's really too soon for them to predict. That won't keep the majority of voters in, though. We pride ourselves in being hardy, or insane if you want to look at it that way, here in 'Cow Hampshire.'

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/04 at 10:29 (142864)

Kathy, it sure has been cold up there lately! I'm glad to hear that the snow won't keep voters away from the primaries. The New Hampshire primaries are always a very big event in our Presidential elections.

I don't have a garage either. It's barbaric. Everybody needs a garage. Even though we never have weather as cold as yours, I like them for other reasons.

1) I wouldn't have to wash my car nearly as much if it was inside, and

2) my car is less likely to be stolen if it's in a garage. Also

3) thieves wouldn't be able to tell if my car was there or not, so they wouldn't know if I'm home. And,

4) there's a measure of safety when coming home late at night, and

5) it's a great place to put the lawnmower and Christmas ornaments, and

6) I just like having a garage!!!

If there was room for one on my property, I'd have one built.

Carole C

marie on 1/26/04 at 10:46 (142866)

All the schools in Northern Indiana are closed....so are the ones in NW Ohio. It's about -3 outside...not sure what the windchill factor is. I have to make a trip across the street to the bank and I'm not looking forward to it.

Forget about cleaning out the closets....I've been shopping on eBay. That's why I have to go to the bank. What else am I suppose to do.;) I found a pair of very old dresser lamps that I liked. I just love to cruise the antique items.

Rick R on 1/26/04 at 16:26 (142878)

The van wouldn't start so my wife walked to the bank today and got processed through the 'drive' through window. She's kind of a small woman so it would be hard to mistake her for an automobile. I went home at lunch time to see if I could fire up the old van and the good news is an interior light got left on so there is hope for the battery. I jumped it and it cranked fast enough to flood but not start. I got the battery charger out so I could start fresh tonight and the stinking stitch stem made of plastic broke, not made for the cold and/or to last 30 years you know. That plastic bit probably saved me 3 cents on the cost of the charger back in 1974.

I have worse than no garage. I have a garage full of stuff and no car will fit. Hasn't seen a car since I junked the 1980 Horizon with a blown engine. This makes it all my fault.

Gee I love winter.

Rick

Kathy in Ky on 1/26/04 at 16:31 (142880)

I love ebay too but can't buy anything until we move. I sure don't want anything else large because I'm moving from a big house to a much smaller house. We'll be moving in about 6 weeks. Then I'll be able to go 'junking' all spring to accessorize the old farmhouse! My family will be tired of me trying out old stuff- lst thing I'm looking for is an old stained glass window for my kitchen window. Our area has lots of good estate auctions & antique shops, hope my feet hold up! Marie you would love to antique along the Ohio River.

wendyn on 1/26/04 at 17:23 (142885)

I don't have a garage either Kathy (unfortunately) but I do have underground parking at work. When it's really cold, I always warm my car up in the morning - but I do lock it while it's running. This morning I had to leave it for about 15 minutes, so I wasn't about to stare at it for that long.

Tomorrow is supposed to be worse -46C with the windchill (evidently - around -40 it's the same in celcius as it is in farenheit).

It's actually scary when it gets this cold. If you're out for more than a few minutes - any exposed skin will freeze. You can get frostbite very fast. I was out for less than 2 minutes at lunch, and I could feel my eye brows freezing in under 30 seconds.

Fortunately, we usually have only a few of these days per year!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/04 at 17:33 (142887)

Aw! Maybe when spring is here, you two can clear out the garage... meanwhile, can you just have the battery charged somewhere?

Sorry your day was so rotten!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/04 at 17:36 (142888)

You could FEEL YOUR EYEBROWS FREEZING!!! I knew it. I knew that I was never made to live up north!!! I couldn't stand it. I'd go nuts.

EWWWW that sounds so awful!

Wendy, your family needs to move down here. We do have mosquitos but our eyebrows remain completely thawed, year round.

Carole C

Sher A on 1/26/04 at 19:29 (142894)

Hi all,
here in northern VA we've got about 7' of snow on the ground. We have a winter storm watch up for icing tomorrow. The gov't is open and the schools are closed. I ventured in to work this morning since my husband has a 4wd Tundra. I was relieved to see that there wasn't much traffic on the beltway today because most everyone stayed home. That was really the smart thing to do, and what I'm planning to do tomorrow. Finally the workplace is telling people to stay home if they don't want to risk venturing out. In days of yore we were expected to show up at work no matter what. I'm glad to see that that attitude has finally changed after the 100 car pileup that happened around here 2 years ago. The kids were sure enjoying sledding today, on just about every available hill! It was neat to see everyone out and having fun instead of stuck or abandoning their vehicles in traffic!

Rick R on 1/26/04 at 20:00 (142900)

I clean the garage every spring. I'm not throwing my table saw, air compressor, ya da ya da ya da away. I suppose if I ever bought a new lawnmower I wouldn't need two. I still have my snow blower from 1966 or so. I have half a dozen bikes. Then there is my lovely wife's flower pots laying in wait. We just have lot's of people stuffed in small quarters so the garage gets the overflow. Then there's the basement e
gads. Fixed the battery charger, it's cooking now!! Actualy I like winter. When I can run I do heavy miles in the winter and do my best times or did when I used to pay attention to such. Both my wife and I 'like' to shovel snow, we are one odd pair. We'll do the neighbors for the heck of it. She started running and has become as much of a hard case as I was/am. I don't think she's missed a day for weather this season.

Rick

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/04 at 20:01 (142902)

Sher, your idea to stay home tomorrow sounds smart! 7' of snow seems like a lot to me.

So have fun! At least your eyebrows probably won't freeze like Wendy's did. 8-(PIPE)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/04 at 20:10 (142904)

Sounds like your garage has become a workshop and storage room! Oh well, sounds like neither of us have a garage right now. I suppose I can live, though it is *really* hard to find places to put things sometimes and sometimes late at night I would *really* like the safety of an attached garage with an automatic door opener.

My driveway goes along the side of my house, and I can squeeze my car in there between the house and the fence with about a foot to spare. That way I can unload groceries directly into the side door. It's like a garage with no roof, front, or back, I suppose.

That's great that your battery charger is fixed!!! Congratulations and hi-fives and all that. Yes, you are odd to like to shovel snow but you probably get a lot of exercise in.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/26/04 at 20:34 (142907)

Rick, I hope your van starts tomorrow. It seems whenever something goes wrong with a vehicle, it is always in the worst weather!

I hate to admit this, but I ran out of gas in my husband's vehicle one day last spring. It is only about 8 miles from my school to my daughter's high school, and I was picking her up in a driving rain. And I ran out of gas. I don't usually drive his Vue, and I didn't notice it was so low on gas. (I know I should have looked.) When that arrow goes down near the E, it is out!

I was fairly near the school, so I pulled in the median between the lanes and got out to walk with my umbrella which promptly turned upside down in the gusty wind. Unknown to me, along came my husband at about that time, and he said he thought to himself, 'Look at that poor woman all bent over in the rain'. Then he saw it was his vehicle and realized it was me!

That was a relief to be picked up, although I got a lecture about whatever kind of system (You can tell I'm not mechanical!)the vehicle has which can tear up an engine if it is completely drained of gasoline. Luckily, the worst that came from it was me being wet and embarassed.

Hope tomorrow is a good day!

Rick R on 1/26/04 at 22:01 (142909)

FYI he has a point, if you run it out of gas all of the garbage collecting in the tank gets sucked into the filter, if you are lucky. Back in the day a fuel pump cost me $20 and about 20 min. Now for our convience they have located them in the gas tank so it's a $500 job, and I have an aversion to taking a cutting torch to a gas tank, could be just me. Oh goody now you got two lectures just what you wanted!! We fellers do have to stick together from time to time.

Rick

Rick R on 1/26/04 at 22:09 (142910)

We have the same basic arrangement, narrow driveway to a detached garage. With 5 cars it gets interesting. My son does the arranging at night and has to be the guy in tune with everybody's schedule. He does a great job. If we screw up, 'Barney' gives us a $10 ticket. He's too wimpy to slow the traffic down however, that would be confrontational. Oh no, can't do that. I do occasionally, I guess I'm a tad more fiesty than the local fuzz.

Rick

wendyn on 1/26/04 at 22:20 (142911)

Rick - how are your daughter's wedding plans going? Did she pick a date?

wendyn on 1/26/04 at 22:22 (142912)

I don't know Carole. The frozen eyebrow thing sucks - but like I said, we usually only have a few days of this a year. You have bugs all the time!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/04 at 00:33 (142921)

Well, that is true... we do have bugs most of the year! Not to mention the fact that they carry West Nile virus.

At least you won't get West Nile from frozen eyebrows.

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/27/04 at 08:29 (142941)

The other thing that's strange is when the inside of your nose freezes up! That's the kind of weather we've been having. When I was young, I just loved cold weather and I would spend hours outside, as long as there was snow to slide in or ice to skate on. Back in those days, we never heard of windchill factors and I'm sure my mother let me play outside when it was really cold. But I wasn't stupid and I'd come in if I got too chilled. She used to really bundle me up; double mittens, woolen sox under my boots, scarf over my face so that only my eyes and frozen eyebrows were exposed! Now, with Raynauds Syndrome, my hands get so cold they hurt when it's below fifty! Glad it held off because I have wonderful memories of my childhood winters.

I'm not chastising Suzanne about running out of gas but I would like to pass along a word of warning from our mechanic. He says that the newer cars are built in such a way that if you let the gas go down too low, you can burn out your fuel pump. I know he gave me the technical reason but I don't understand all that stuff. All I know is that he said to warn my children, who like all young people tend to run their cars on fumes.

We're in for a veritable heat wave in the next couple of days. We are going to be in the twenties and maybe even hit 32 one day. Of course, the trade-off is that we are going to get a snowstorm. Actually, here in southern NH, unless the storm takes a turn, we should only get 1-3' and that's nothing. If it changes track, then we could get 'a whole lot more' to quote the weatherman this morning. They're not really sure what it's going to do. I thought this was the storm you've had down south but I guess it's coming from the west.

They're expecting a record turnout at the polls today. Last night, I let the answering machine take the phone calls. I got one from my daughter and my husband counted nine hang-ups! You know they were all politcal calls! And that was just between five and nine! I didn't bother to count earlier in the day. You can't say the candidates weren't out en force! We're really quite lucky to be able to meet so many candidates personally. Now, if they'd just stop calling! I didn't mind it so much when it was living people calling but now many of them are recorded messages. That really annoys me!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/04 at 08:55 (142946)

Brrr, your description of winters when you were a child sounds so cold. It's down to 37 outside here this morning, and to us that is quite extreme. We haven't had below freezing temperatures yet this year unless it was last night; I haven't listened to the news yet. Usually we do get a few nights each year that are below freezing.

Thank goodness I have a warning light in the instrument panel of my car, that tells me when gas is low. Otherwise it would be so easy to run out of gas. Of course, if the warning light ever fails then it will be me out there standing by a car with no gas in the rain, instead of Suzanne!

Frank sent me an e-mail this morning and says they are expecting a lot of snow tonight and tomorrow in western CT. This storm is apparently a big one.

This is an exciting day in New Hampshire. I know what you mean about recorded messages, though! During our last election I received quite a few, and it just seems so lazy. If they don't have enough volunteers to make real phone calls, then maybe they don't have enough support to win.

I'm staying home sick with a cold, today. It's not a really BAD cold, but I had some sick leave building up anyway and why spread germs?

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/27/04 at 10:56 (142956)

I hope you feel better quickly, Carole! @};-

I think it must be part of 'Murphy's Law' that when anything is going to break on our vehicle, I will be driving it, not my husband.

Years ago I 'blew an engine'. In my defense, it was an old car, and the mechanic who installed a used engine for us later told my husband that the warning light would not have come on as it shorted out first. I knew no light had come on. I did hear a 'funny noise', but then the car just quit - right in the middle of the road.

Our last van had 240,000 miles on it and was about on its last leg, and we knew that. But of course I was the one driving it when there was a noise and smoke, and I hurriedly pulled over. I did have my cell phone that time. The reason I didn't have it when I ran out of gas was that it was in my van which my husband needed to drive that day. I thought his would be in his vehicle but it was in his pocket at the time! /:)

Well, my lunchtime is about over. I guess I'd better take my last few bites and quit posting!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/04 at 12:26 (142957)

Suzanne, you have had some nasty experiences with dying vehicles!

When I was a young newlywed back in 1975, my ancient car lost its transmission on a lonely back road in rural Mississippi as I drove home from teaching a night class at Meridian College. This was before I developed a more mature version of common sense, or I wouldn't have been out there at that hour by myself to begin with. Randy was on duty at the base and not available, and cell phones hadn't been invented yet anyway. I had only lived in Mississippi for a month or two.

It was pitch black. There wasn't a light or house to be seen on that moonless night, and I was scared to death. No cars passed in either direction for a half hour. I was a half dozen miles from home and from the nearest phone but was about to start walking.

Luckily a car finally came by. I crouched behind my car, hiding because I was scared silly, not knowing who was in the car. But even more luckily, they stopped anyway and it was a nice Navy couple who drove me home.

But in general, I have not had so many bad experiences as you have had! Now that I live alone, I will make it a high priority to have a relatively new car that is less likely to break down. I need to make sure to carry my cell phone with me in the car; I often forget it.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/27/04 at 16:29 (142976)

You're exactly right, Kathy. It is not smart at all to let your vehicle get too low on gas. The fact that I was driving my husband's vehicle isn't really a good excuse. I should have looked that morning when I got in. Of course I had school and such on my mind. He is notorious for letting it get low - much more likely to do that than me - but then he's never run out of gas! (:(PIPE)

But it's a good reminder to us all.

Suzanne D. on 1/27/04 at 16:38 (142981)

That was a scary situation to find yourself in, Carole! I'm thankful that a nice couple came along and helped you. And, yes, it's a great relief to have a cell phone with you these days.

I ran out of time at lunch to write about the time years ago when I got stuck in the snow and got my college books out and put one in front of each of the back tires. I got enough traction to pull out! Of course the book covers had tire marks on them, but I made it back on the road, and that was most important.

Or the time I was behind three people who each in turn went into the ditch because of snow. Something flashed through my mind from my driving manual about turning in the direction of the skid. I did that, and I didn't go in the ditch. That was a relief.

Then there was the deer I grazed one year when my daughter was about three. She was convinced it was Rudolph and that now Santa wouldn't come. She worried about that for a month and kept looking at me as if I were a criminal!

It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if I never have any more drama on the road!

Suzanne D. on 1/27/04 at 16:42 (142982)

:D Got it, Rick! I have always tried to not let the gas get too low, but I was driving a different vehicle and didn't look. I should have, and that mistake could have been costly!

You made a good point. Hope you had no vehicle trouble today!

Rick R on 1/27/04 at 21:42 (143006)

Hi Wendy,

The combination of a Christmas season announcement and a June 11, 2005 wedding has made for a tight schedule, believe it or not. Halls were getting booked already but we got what she wanted. They made me go and see the dress tonight, I must admit it is stunning not to mention the stuffings therein. I just can't picture my wife in the old lady mother of the bride dresses. Best of luck tomorrow.

Rick

wendyn on 1/27/04 at 23:10 (143009)

Thanks Rick. You know - the mother of the bride does not have to wear an old lady dress. I'm sure she will find something quite nice.

Have I missed your picture!?!?!?

Rick R on 1/28/04 at 12:46 (143059)

I'll have to follow through on that threat, not sure when. I'll have to make sure the old woman doesn't attract too much attention, it may be difficult.

Rick