Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sclerosing alcohol injections

Posted by Tammy S on 1/26/04 at 10:47 (142868)

I have a Mortons neuroma in my right foot. I have had 7 ( so far ) injections in this foot with about 75% improvement. The days I work a 12 hour shift my foot is very sore again, but the other days I can say are improved by 75%. My doc is willing to do more with the hopes of total pain relief. Does anyone have experience with this, and after this long is it probable that the pain will go away totally or am I wasting my time and money? How many of these are safe to get? I had a 6 week span of time once that I was not able to get to the Docs and the pain was as bad as before ANY treatment began. I feel discouraged about this being effective. Thanks for your thoughts................Tammy

Re: sclerosing alcohol injections

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/27/04 at 21:08 (143002)

These injections are relatively safe and can be very beneficial. Dr. Gary Dockery of Washington (state) really made this procedure very popular. I believe that Dr. Dockery gives a series of a minimum of 3 and maximum of 7, though he will wait a while and repeat the series. I also believe that he feels that the ideal span between injections should be approximately 7 days for the most benefits. I don't think you are wasting your money and believe that you should discuss your concerns with your treating doctor.