Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Z and Wander MRI Report Findings Interpretation of Ankle/Foot

Posted by sammy p on 1/26/04 at 16:34 (142882)

Dr Z, Dr Wander,

I have been diagnosed with post tib tendonitis, and finally got my mri report. I've tried 2 cortisone injections, vioxx, ice, heat, orthotics, soft boot cast with weightbearing for 6weeks and 4 weeks on non weightbearing(CRUTCHES). I am still in PAIN. My podiatrait just gave me a ankle brace, that limits motion side to side ,but can flex the foot back and forth. Are there any specific stretches you can reccomened and could you please advise me on my MRI Findings as to the severity Thank you.

FINDINGS: There is a skin marker placed over the medial aspect of the talus. There is fluid signal intensity surrounding the flexor hallucis and flexor digitorum tendons consistent with tenosynovitis. This is more pronounced surrounding the flexor hallucis tendon and there may be a septation associated with it. No tear of the tendon is identified. The surrounding muscles are normal in signal intensity and morphology. The extensor tendons appear intact. The PCT is intact. Ther is normal fatty signal intensity seen within the sinus tarsi. The achilles tendon is intact. The anterior and posterior talofibular ligaments appear intact.

IMPRESSION: TENOSYNOVITIS OF THE flexor digitorum and flexor hallucis, particulary the latter, where there is an associated septation within the fluid. Recomend clinical correlation.

So what does this mean???? Thanks Should it prevent me from walking on my foot? Is there risk of rupture?

Re: Dr Z and Wander MRI Report Findings Interpretation of Ankle/Foot

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/27/04 at 21:05 (143001)

Your report does not mention the posterior tibial tendon, it states that there is tenosynovitis of the flexor tendons. These tendons are responsible for flexing the toes and may be helped slightly by the ankle brace. The posterior tibial tendon, flexor hallucis longus and flexor digitorum longus tendons all pass through the tarsal tunnel, but the flexor tendons have a different function than the posterior tibial tendon, and you may not have much relief with limiting eversion and inversion as you describe. You should discuss your MRI results with your doctor, because there is no mention of posterior tibial tendon abnormality on the report you've supplied.

Re: Dr Z and Wander MRI Report Findings Interpretation of Ankle/Foot

sammy p on 1/28/04 at 15:11 (143083)

Thank you for responding DR wander,

How would you treat tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis and flexor digitorum tendons? Have you ever seen this injury? Thanks for your advice.