Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

week 4 of cast

Posted by jen on 1/26/04 at 19:47 (142898)

hi all
well week 4 of my cast, i went in today and the x ray showed the same as last time for my fractures. the nurse removed cast and fitted a new one. this time she left all the toes exposed and its a bright red cast. i was told at least anohter 6-8 weeks on crutches with it then mayby a cast i can walk on

im so fed up with it but it doesnt hurt a bit now. if i try to step on it it hurts a lot. Is 12 weeks common for this in a cast?? dr thinks its going to be all of that at least

Re: week 4 of cast

R C on 1/26/04 at 20:01 (142901)

12 weeks is a long time, but I urge that you stay the course, and resist the desire to put weight on your healing foot. Even one step before its time can put you back on square one.

12 does seem like a lot, butgiven the combination of injuries you have, it's not surprising.

Getting through the boredom was one of the biggest challenges for me whel I went through this. If there's a book you've been wanting to get through , vidoes you've wanted to see, now's the time. Learn guitar? Cross-stitch? Chess? Do dumbbells to get a little exercise? Just trying to think of ways to pass the time...

jen on 1/26/04 at 22:49 (142914)

thanks rc ive been having different toe polishes applied and thats fun:) each time i try to put weight on it hurts.
i use crutches but in malls etc i go in wheelchair, im 28 and fit so im not worried but this foot is really slow healing, im moving toes alot the r said its ok, so i always flex them around i have long toes so it seems t stretch them

Pauline on 1/27/04 at 08:12 (142938)

Jen,
Four weeks in a cast for an adult with a fracture isn't a long time. I think most doctors estimate at least 6 to 8 depending on the fracture and some take longer depending on the severity of the fracture.

I don't know when you go back, but if I were you I'd want to be seen again before 12 weeks is up.

You can ask for xrays at 6 or 8 weeks to check your healing progress. I hope you are seeing your xrays each time and having the doctor point out the original fracture line and the healing that is taking place.

If NO healing is seen on film in 8 weeks time, you may want gather up all those xrays and seek a second opinion.

X-rays usually show the healing of fractures nicely. Following the fracture pictures along with your doctor is an easy way to keep taps on your progress.

john h on 1/28/04 at 10:40 (143042)

A friend tore his achilles tendon two weeks ago playing basketball. He had surgery and was placed in a cast for 10 weeks. Sunday at Church while on crutches he fell. Cracked open the cast and reinjured the tendon More surgery scheduled this week.