Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian G. just catching up

Posted by Lynne C. on 1/27/04 at 00:01 (142920)

Hi Brian,
I just wanted to touch base and see how you were doing. I haven't been on the site for a while and I was hoping you were doing better.
If you remember my insurance turned me down for eswt, and my appeal is in, but who knows how long that will take. My pod sent me to physical therapy for about 13 weeks. I did not see a great improvement at first, but it has really made a difference. I am on a 'if you need me' basis with the pod now. I think what really made a difference with me was the treatment at PT. When I had first tore my pf(two years ago) my therapist liked to have killed me. This time I had a great experience, Jody never caused me any pain. She used some type of patch and connected electrodes to it(I'm sure you know the name of the treatment). This was a pain management to allow me to stretch properly and more effectively. I have learned the stretching is the most important thing in my bag of tricks. Now I am able to work, and I am even tring different shoes, being careful. The trick to my stretching was understanding that the toe is equally important in your stretching routine. My pt strives for a toe angle of 60 degrees. I have found that at work if I place my foot against a nonmobile object like a cabinet. With my heel on the floor and toes angled up onto the cabinet and lean foward. This stratches the toes, foot, and calves. Morning stretches are crossing the leg, one hand on the ball of the foot and the other on toes. Making sure the foot and toes are stretched at the same time. I know this isn't possible for anyone who is in a lot of pain, but maybe some one can use the info. If any one reads this in the upstate South Carloina area, respond to this site and I will relay the info about my PT. Brian I hope your holidays were all you wanted, and may the new year bring happy feet. :D
Lynne

Re: Brian G. just catching up

BrianG on 1/30/04 at 21:31 (143290)

Hi Lynne,

I've been pretty busy with insurance problems, and haven't been checking in every day. I'm glad I didn't miss this post. It sounds like you've turned the corner, and are have better times ahead. It's funny, but so many differnet treatments will work for one person, and not another. It makes sense when people say to keep trying differnt treatments, we never know which combination, or treatment will get us back on that road to health.

Unfortunatly no improvement for me. After 10 years, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to cure this PF. Thankfully I still have a compassionate doctor, which allows me to get out some. Work is out of the question, but at least I'm not bedridden. Thanks for checking in, and keep that healing happening! :)

Don't give up on that appeal, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!
BrianG