Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thinking of Wendy today...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 1/28/04 at 07:10 (143023)

We'll be anxious to hear about your husband's doctor visit today. Just letting you know you're in my thoughts...

Take care!
Suzanne :)

Re: Thinking of Wendy today...

marie on 1/28/04 at 10:42 (143043)

Same here, Wendy. Our prayers are with you today.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/04 at 15:17 (143086)

Wendy, we care and we are thinking of you today!

Carole C

Lari S. on 1/28/04 at 18:53 (143114)

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Re: Merci

wendyn on 1/28/04 at 20:05 (143126)

Thanks - actually today did go pretty well.

I had a lot of work stress yesterday, and combined with the doctor appt planned for today, I managed to set my own personal record for insomnia. I slept from 11:30 to 12:30 last night, but then I was awake until around 4:30 or so. I get up at 5:30. So, I got around two hours of sleep. I can live on 3 or 4, but evidently not 2.

I'm actually having trouble typing so I apologize for any typos or sentences that don't make cents I mean sense :)

The urologist was great. Really nice guy, very easy to talk to. He said that ultrasounds of bladders can be misleading - maybe three is something in there, may there isn't. They will do a cystoscopy next Thursday morning to check it out. This is a very quick procedure done with local anesthetic, and it allows them to go in and have a look around. The doctor said they will know right away if there is a problem, so we won't be waiting for biopsy results.

Even if there is a malignant tumor, he said that they are usually superficial and can be removed. Hubby can drastly reduce his chance of reccurence if he quits smoking (cuts the rate in more than half). He is not a heavy smoker, but even some is too much.

For the stones, they have booked him for a different procedure closer to the end of February. They inject a dye and do some sort of contrast xray (since they can't really see the stones on a regular xray). Then they will have a better idea if they can blow them up with shock waves.

I need to go have a bath and pass out in front of my tv in front of an Austin Powers movie.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, and I'll write more when I have both eyes open!!!

JudyS on 1/28/04 at 20:58 (143133)

Wendy - keep those eyes closed, sleeping, for as long as you can young lady! It won't do for you to get sick.
It almost sounds as though the docs may not feel a need to be seriously concerned about your husband's condition. Didn't it take about three weeks for today's appointment? And the cystoscopy is a week away as opposed to immediate. I'd like to read those things as good signs and I wish your family peace in the coming weeks.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/04 at 22:42 (143140)

Wendy, this is encouraging. One more week to wait, but your doctor sounds reasonably optimistic.

Two hours of sleep is not enough! Especially when the two hours are not together. Maybe you can get some sleep tonight. Take care.

Carole C

Julie on 1/29/04 at 05:29 (143152)

That does sound encouraging. I'm very glad. Smoking does appear to be the main contributory cause of bladder cancer, so he'll be doing himself a great favour if he can stop. I'm sure he'll get every possible support from you in the effort.

Take care. I hope you can catch up on your sleep tonight. Stress is certainly an insomnia-trigger. Get your tape out and use it before you go to bed. :)

Lari S. on 1/29/04 at 10:57 (143175)

That sounds like pretty positive news, and having a urologist that you can relate to makes a big difference. Hopefully, all the tests will be uneventful and lead to a recovery.

john h on 1/29/04 at 11:26 (143179)

Wendy many years ago I had a cystoscope after an aircraft crash. No anathestic and really was no big deal. Sounds terrible but done in Doctors office in a procedure room. Took about 10 minutes. I had an MRI when I had a kidney stone about 5 years ago. The MRI report indicated cyst on the liver. This scarred the living daylights out of me. A quick search on the net indicated nearly all of us have cyst on our livers. More people have them than do not and they are usually found when you have an MRI for something else. My Urologist later told me he did not even mention it as he would have been supprised if there was not a cyst there. You see a lot of Doctors and hospitals advetising complete body scans these days. I was reading in I think the Mayo letter that these scans create more fear than problems they find. Typically they always find something which requires further test and typically prove to be of no consequence.

More new medical info: Recent studies show that an MRI is more effective and less expensive than a colonsocopy in finding polyups. Sounds good to me. However, if they do find polyups you have to go thru the real deal. We will probably be seeing more Doctors switching to the MRI for this procedure but the Docs with that expensive equipment to perform a colonoscopy will delay as long as possible.

Tammie on 1/29/04 at 17:00 (143201)

I was so sorry to read about your husband,I hope all works out well and that soon both of you will be relaxing over a glass of wine. Life seems to throw those curves in life sometimes, I ofton wonder if it is to get our attention and to remind us of how precious life can be! Maybe when this is all over he will decide to give up a old habit.As I am sure he does not want to take any risks no matter how small they are. This could be a gift in real disguise saving him ultimatly.

I only wish the best for you and your husband and family! I will remember to include him in my prayers. Will be thinking of you all! Hope you both get some rest as I am sure your both exhausted!

JudyS on 1/29/04 at 17:17 (143204)

Tammie - I just wanted to say that it's always a delightful surprise to see your name here now and then! Hope you're hanging in there OK.

wendyn on 1/29/04 at 21:47 (143218)

Thanks Tammie - I hope you are keeping well. It was nice to hear from you.

wendyn on 1/29/04 at 21:48 (143219)

Judy - I made it into about 15 minutes of the movie. I was SOUND asleep on the couch. I crawled into bed about 9:00 and then slept most of the way through to this morning.

I feel much better today!

wendyn on 1/29/04 at 21:51 (143220)

Actually Judy, (and my last post was to Carole - oops)

It was almost 2 months for the appointment. Unfortunately, that was on an urgent request - the wait for a urologist is about 6 months normally. Yes, the wonders of socialized medicine.

A week away is immediate, since we were thinking we may wait weeks!

Funny how it's all your perspective. It doesn't change anything though - I hope that everything comes out okay, and that we have worried all over nothing.

wendyn on 1/29/04 at 21:53 (143221)

Smoking is directly linked to bladder cancer (the toxins concentrate in the urine) and is actually more common in smokers than lung cancer. Lung cancer gets the press because it WILL kill you, and it will likely kill you real fast. Bladder cancer tends to be more treatable, and it progresses more slowly (believe me, I know more now about bladders than I ever wanted to know!!!)

wendyn on 1/29/04 at 21:53 (143222)

Yes Lari, having someone you can relate to makes a huge difference.

wendyn on 1/29/04 at 21:55 (143223)

That's what the doctor said John - it sounds a lot worse than it is. This procedure will be done in the hospital - but like you said, it only takes about 10 minutes.

A colonoscopy does not sound like a lot of fun. I think I would rather have the MRI first.

Kathy G on 1/30/04 at 09:30 (143233)

Thank goodness it sounds like everything is all right. It's great you don't have to wait so long this time. It's tough to have something like this hanging over your head. Your husband must be much relieved and he'll feel even better when it's all over with.

Glad you slept. You probably haven't been sleeping properly since you found out about this whole thing so now you'll find some peace.

john h on 1/30/04 at 10:46 (143245)

Wendy after age 50 everyone should have a colonospoy every 5 years or more often if you have a history of polyups. This is a procedure that can pickup pre cancerous polyups and remove them promptly. Colon cancer is one of the major causes of cancer related deaths and highly curable when caught in the early polyup stage. Problem is most people just do not want to go through the procedure which is no big deal. The MRI will be even less of a big deal. Medicare even will pay for this procedure so you know it must be cost effective.

john h on 1/30/04 at 11:00 (143248)

Wendy this is what really disturbs me about socialized medicine. You wait for two months to find out if you have some dreaded disease. You go through the mental anguish and if you do have a problem it is only getting worse. I can go to my urologist and if i need a procedure or surgery I can be scheduled within 2-4 days. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago. I was with her at the time. Her Doctor is one of the leading cancer surgeons in this part of the country. She told him she wanted to have the surgery ASAP. He scheduled the surgery the same week. If she would have to have waited 2 months or more she would have been a basket case and so would I. We are on Medicare so she did not receive prompt treatment because of money but because our system allowed it to happen. I read from some people waiting to see a Podiatrist for several months. I can see my Podiatrist in 2-3 days. The only guy I have trouble seeing is my MD Foot and Ankle Surgeon. We only have two that serve around 300,000 people so unless I have an emergency it will take me a month to get an appointment with him. You can get an MRI the same day as scheduled. Anyone poor,broke, or rich can walk into any hospital emergency room and you cannot be refused treatment even if you have no money. Many people use this for colds or anything else because they do not have to pay. It overloads the system and cost the hospital a lot of money but the fact is anyone can see a Doctor on any given day..

Suzanne D. on 1/30/04 at 11:08 (143250)

This IS good news, Wendy! I'll continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care, and get some well-deserved rest!
Suzanne :)

Re: Thanks to u both!

Tammie on 1/30/04 at 12:21 (143257)

I have been looking in as I Have been reading about several that are facing possible dx with RSD.It worries me and If I can help at all... I would like to.So I have to glance in social to see how our friends are!

Re: Thanks to u both!

Kathy G on 1/31/04 at 08:59 (143306)

Yes, despite all our complaints, our medical system could be so much worse. When we used to vacation in PEI, we had some Canadian friends who they told us that the notion of the US changing to the Canadian form of healthcare was insane. One lady had MS and it was unbelievable what she had to go through to get treatment.

Several years ago, I had a close friend who came from Great Britain. She had bad bunions on both her feet. Despite the fact that she was reduced to having to wear bedroom slippers most of the time, her surgery was considered elective and had her family not been able to afford private medical care, she would have had to wait for three years to have surgery.

That's why I'm glad that I don't have to deal with this whole healthcare problem. I don't know how Congress or the President is going to sort out a problem that seems to have no ideal solution.

Re: Catching up here.....

marie on 1/31/04 at 18:23 (143342)

Hi Wendy,

I'm just getting caught up on the posts, sounds like some encouraging news. In a week you'll know more. Hope this gets your hubby to quit smoking.....it's tough but he'll only be the better for it. I'll be thinking of you next Thursday.

It is so nice to hear from you now and then. I hope you are well and know that we all think alot of you!

best wishes marie

wendyn on 1/31/04 at 18:36 (143345)

Thanks Marie. I may be around here a bit more. I am taking one online course, and I was supposed to start another 30 hour classroom course this week. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it was cancelled. It appears it will be a very easy semester for me, and I'm already a week ahead in my class.

So, you may be hearing from me more often!!!!

marie on 2/01/04 at 11:19 (143371)

Good we always appreciate your posts.