Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Let, it snow, let it snow, let it snow....ok enough already!

Posted by marie on 1/28/04 at 16:56 (143108)

Just checking in with everyone. We got blasted last night with 11 inches of snow, making the total over the past two days around 15 inches. Our poor little Heidi (our mini daucshund) is so unhappy about going outside. We dug out this morning...I'm not sure if we'll be back at school in the morning or not. So far I recovered the dining room chairs and bought several things off eBay. How is everyone else doing? I know this storm must be out east by now.

best wishes marie

Re: Let, it snow, let it snow, let it snow....ok enough already!

Kathy in KY on 1/28/04 at 17:55 (143113)

We had a 2 hr delay, I teach in Brown Co.(southern Ohio). I'm glad to get the day in to avoid make up days during Spring break. Our snows are nothing like northern Ohio but our roads are much more hilly & crooked. I can't wait to go antiquing but every weekend seems to be when the nasty weather arrives!

Lari S. on 1/28/04 at 19:01 (143116)

Send some this way! At least it's pretty and my dogs love snow. They hate going out in the rain, an that'saAll we're getting. The ground is so saturated already that it's standing in small lakes in the pasture. So much for getting my bulbs in. We have another storm headed in, so it looks like it will be a while before I can do anything in the yard.
Lari

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/04 at 19:29 (143118)

Sometimes I think about how nice it would be to live up north. So many areas up there have much lower crime rates than we have in New Orleans, and such pleasant summers, and no hurricanes.

When I hear about 15' of snow in 2 days, I remember! Oh THAT's why I would rather put up with the terrible crime rate, the humid, hot summers, and the scary hurricanes and tropical storms down here. I love looking at snow (on TV). But otherwise, I don't love it!

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/28/04 at 19:55 (143123)

We got only about two inches but it's now back to windy and very cold with winchill factors below zero. I'm tired of being cold! So far, we've not had that much snow but the winter is still young!

I often think of you and your wonderful climate, Carole. And growing up in Hawaii......how great that must have been. By the way, my niece had a little girl, my sister's first granchild. There were some complications and she developed pneumonia but she's doing very well and coming home today. One of the reasons I mention this is that my brother-in-law was in the Marines and stationed in Hawaii when my niece was born and her middle name is Melia. That's the Hawaiian version of Mary. She and her husband decided to name their baby girl, Melia, and call her Mia as a nickname.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/04 at 22:15 (143139)

What a pretty name for your niece's baby girl! I am very thankful to be living in a relatively warm climate this winter, although it nearly got down to freezing last night. At least we don't normally have snow, or freezes that last longer than a few hours.

As soon as I find the perfect place to live, I'll let everyone know! It has to be a medium sized town or city in the U.S. that has no snow, a low cost of living, a low crime rate, no hurricanes, stable ground, lots of interesting things to do and to explore, and low property taxes. So far, I haven't found it.

Glad to hear that you only got two inches! That's just enough to be pretty, and probably isn't enough to stop you from going places and doing things.

Carole C

marie on 1/29/04 at 05:38 (143154)

You're describing southern Indiana. Of course they get snow too but not as much.....Tennesee may be very nice also. I'm looking to find a place in South Carolina when we retire....but that's a long way off. Lousiana is a beautiful state I love visiting there. Your right about the crime rate in New Orleans. I don't believe they collect taxes for schools and I have heard that the schools are not so great. Other than that I think the Lousiana itself is gorgeous and has such a rich history and culture.

marie on 1/29/04 at 05:42 (143155)

We're on a two hour delay this morning. It's -6 degrees. Some of the Michigan schools are calling it quits for the day. We're expecting another two inches and the wind is blowing. We have alot of wide open farm land in Ohio and the drifts can be worse than the snow. I think we'll go today but I'm glad they called for a two hour. I hate to think of the new teen drivers out in this and the buses too.

later, marie

Carole C in NOLA on 1/29/04 at 07:07 (143156)

Knoxville, TN sounds like a nice place to live, but I've never been there. It does have snow, though. Brrrr.

Carole C

Pam S. on 1/29/04 at 20:12 (143213)

Dear Marie:
Maybe you have had a dachshund before so you know this but they HATE the cold and wet. You will need to get a sweater for her. Some people even get little boots. HAAAA We never did that but they can hardly walk in the ice and snow. Alot like US!!!!! They are the same in the rain even when it is warm.

When it snowed we would just dig a little path for her to walk out on the back terrace, do her business and race back in as fast as she could. I hope Heidi is trained because this is tough weather for dachshunds and for All of us. It's 2 in Chicago. BRRRRRRRRR Stay warm all, pam

Kathy G on 1/30/04 at 09:36 (143235)

Yes, the windows are rattling and the windchill factor is zero and I'm tired of having to heat up the car! On the plus side, it doesn't get dark until almost 5PM so things are looking up!

I don't know what state has the ideal climate. Many folks around here retire to the Carolinas. I'm such a creature of habit, I probably wouldn't be happy anywhere but New England. When we retire, my husband would like to spend from the day after Christmas until April 15th in a warmer climate. That's the stretch of winter he doesn't like. The rest of the year, he likes New Hampshire. I keep telling him that we appreciate the spring much more after having gone through a cold winter, but he says he'd appreciate spring just as much if he's been in a warm climate prior to its arrival!

john h on 1/30/04 at 10:40 (143244)

Kathy: I have lived all over the world from northern Greenland in the artic circle to the heat and jungle of Thailand and Vietam. i have lived in the northeast,south,midwest and west. I have concluded the best place to live is where you have good friends and an enjoyable job. In the final analysis it was not the weather but the people around me and my job that made me happy or less happy. I have a wealthy friend who is constantly moving into a bigger and bigger homes but he is never happy. A recent study by a Professor of Sociology I think from Yale concluded that money did not produce happiness after you reached the threshold of $50,000 per year. this amount provided what you needed not necessarily what you wanted and happiness was determined by things other than money after this point.

Suzanne D. on 1/30/04 at 10:50 (143246)

Wise words, indeed, John! I lived for five years in a tiny little 'run-down' town in KY. My husband preached in a small church, and we had some good years there. There were some fine people we met and were friends with, and I loved taking my oldest out in her stroller every afternoon for a walk. Everything was close by - the dr., the drugstore, a couple of little grocery stores. I taught 25 miles away, so I had a pretty long drive, but I didn't mind it except in bad weather. I had time to 'unwind' on the way home and prepare myself before I got there.

But I had a friend who drove through our little town and told me quite sincerely that she felt sorry for me. It looked so pitiful, she thought. I almost was shocked. I didn't look at the place that way. I told her, 'I guess if you just look at the buildings, it would appear that way. But there are some fine people who live there, and I don't really think about the physical surroundings. It's the people that make the difference.' It was her turn to look surprised; I guess she didn't think about it that way.

Thanks for your words,
Suzanne :)

marie on 1/30/04 at 11:18 (143251)

John that is one of the most insightful comments I've read in a long time. I copied and printed and posted on my school bulletin board. I feature an insightful quote every week and this week it will be yours!!! Thank you for the inspiration. I hope you don't mind but i'd like to credit you with it!!!!!

best wishes marie

john h on 1/30/04 at 11:36 (143253)

I can think of no higher compliment than have some children read something I have posted. Teachers are very fortunate to be able to effect childrens lives forever. Few of us will ever be able to have such an impact and leave such a legacy. Thank you for considering this worth while to present to your students. I would be very proud to be credited with this.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 13:00 (143259)

We all need $50,000 a year just to provide for our basic needs? Could have fooled me. :)

Carole C

john h on 1/30/04 at 15:44 (143270)

In NYC that might get you through a couple of months. In Cheyenne, Wyoming you might live very comfortable.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 16:47 (143274)

Exactly! I am so glad that I live in Louisiana, where the cost of living seems so reasonable. :)

Carole C

marie on 1/30/04 at 21:22 (143288)

50,000. a year is just fine for our small towns. Here you can still purchase a nice home for under 100,000. Property taxes are very reasonable...we only pay 50.00 a year for our cabin. There are alot of nice homes between 50,000. and 75,000 and some under 50,000.......but not around the lakes...you'll need about a million or two and some are between 5 and 7 mil for those homes....there is even an actual castle on one of the lakes. Apparently this couple always wanted a castle so they built one. It even has a cannon. The neighbors weren't to happy but hey you only live once and as they say 'your home is your castle'.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 21:48 (143291)

Census 2000 records the median household income in Louisiana as $34,566 and median home price in Louisiana as $85,000.

The median household income in Indiana in Census 2000 is $41,567 and median home price was $94,300.

In New York state (not just NYC by itself), the equivalent median household income was $43,393 and median home price was $148,700.

I really don't think that a person needs above the median income in any state in order to have what they need to keep body and soul together. People these days just do not have the slightest comprehension of what they NEED.

Sometimes what they really need is a reality check (not referring to anyone on the board, but just in general).

CArole C

marie on 1/31/04 at 08:21 (143301)

You're so right, Carol. People don't need as much as they think they need. The info you posted just goes to show how the cost of living from one state to the next is vastly different. I think the main thing is to live within your means no matter what your income level. I've known too many people who have over extended themselves with a home purchase or vehicles. It seems all they do is work to pay the bills and they don't seem all that happy or like they're having fun. The people who own the lake homes around here are usually people who don't live in this state year round. Maybe 3-5 months a year. Seems silly to me to have a home that size and priced for a few months of the year. The reason why our property taxes are low is because the summer lakers don't live here year round and aren't interested in paying taxes for schools and such. That's part of the reason why our school budgets are very tight.....that and unemployment.

Kathy G on 1/31/04 at 08:52 (143304)

John,

Wonderful words and so true! You are such a wise person, both in the true sense of the word and in the sense of being a 'wise guy!';)

Julie on 1/31/04 at 08:55 (143305)

But Carole, do you really think people are entirely to blame for not comprehending what they need? The economy is based on people wanting more than they need, and incurring debt to fulfill their wants. The system we all live under, which must stimulate consumer spending and debt in order to keep rolling, does so quite effectively. If everyone were satisfied (as of course we should be, no argument there) with the fulfilment of needs, the manufacturers of all the unncessary 'things' would go out of business, the millions of workers who make them would be unemployed. and in short the economy would collapse.

It's the economic system that needs a reality check.

JudyS on 1/31/04 at 16:02 (143334)

The median price of a home in Southern Calif. just hit $420,000.

Is that disgusting or what?

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/04 at 16:34 (143337)

Yes, that's amazing, and that's why I can't afford to live there! (grin) It's a beautiful state, though.

Looking on the bright side... it keeps California from being utterly flooded with people from middle America seeking 'The California Dream'.

Nobody seems to have 'The Louisiana Dream'. :))

Carole C

Re: needs and wants and the cost of living...

Suzanne D. on 1/31/04 at 16:58 (143339)

Interesting posts! (And, Carole, I don't see too many people beating the doors down to come to Kentucky, either! :D Other than the first Saturday in May for the KY Derby...)

Speaking of needs and wants, I couldn't help but think about my grandparents who 40 years ago had to be convinced by their grown children that they needed indoor plumbing. I remember dreading to go and visit (although I loved them) because if I was there very long, I'd have to go outside to the outhouse. To get there, one had to go through the chicken yard, and - believe it or not - I was scared of the chickens! My grandparents had raised 6 children in this farmhouse they built without indoor plumbing, and they didn't see the need to install it. But they finally did, and I think they were glad afterwards.

Cell phones used to be for only the big bosses on t.v. movies, and now virtually everyone has one, and it is considered almost a need if not definitely one. So, needs and wants change with time, and it's an interesting topic.

Thanks for making me think!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/04 at 17:30 (143340)

I feel like for me, a cell phone is a 'want'. I've only had one for two and a half years. I had already thought maybe I'd discontinue it when I retire in a few years, because I really don't use it much.

I have to admit that for a city girl like me, indoor plumbing would be a need unless or until I could learn how to maintain an outhouse. I don't even know how to deal with septic tanks either. It's all a mystery to me.

But you know, for $50,000/year a person living in Louisiana can afford all of the above and live pretty high off the hog as well. I wouldn't consider DVD's, synthetic fingernails, beer, or a big screen TV a need, even on Superbowl Sunday. Maybe that's because my parents were young adults during the Depression and told me what it was like to live back then.

Carole C

marie on 1/31/04 at 18:13 (143341)

My hubby's grandmother was a school teacher. First grade, I believe, and she always told her students to 'never get attached to anything you can't live without'. She had a pretty hard time of it. She raised three boys virtually on her own when she and her husband divorced. And for many years she couldn't even afford to have the two oldest living with her. So they were raised mostly by her parents. I suppose she really learned the hard way what those words meant.

I know about her advice to her students because whenever we run into to them they always mention it to us. Most of her students are in their 70's now but they always remember that about her.

We all have little wants that we probably don't need and it has made our economy continue. Take the automotive industry...electric windows and door locks , ice melters on the back window, cd players and now electronic maps, (don't know what their called)....just think of all the gadgets on a car that we really don't need but they seem to inspire people to buy new cars all the time.

That reminds me of my sister-in-law's ecsentric Uncle Maurice. He invented the push buttons for changing radio stations on a car radio. Maurice was one of a kind. He had alot of other inventions as well and was a successful electrical engineer....they had lost touch with him for many years and found him living in a state home in one tiny room filled with all his old original designs for his inventions. My sister-in-law and her mom took him home to spend the rest of his life in the comfort of a real home. He modernized the lives of many Americans but was living as a recluse with absolutely no possesions when they found him. Life is interesting.

best wishes marie

PS: Another winter blast is expected Sunday night.

wendyn on 1/31/04 at 18:39 (143347)

Interesting post. I'm always fascinated by people who really want the 2 or 3 thousand square foot homes. If a lot of money kicking around, a house may be a good investment (our real estate costs are going way up) but I know so many people who max out completely on mortgage payments.

Why?

I love owning home, but I don't think I'd like the house owning me.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/04 at 19:03 (143351)

Wendy, I don't even WANT a 2 or 3 thousand square foot home, even for the same price. I often say, half jokingly, that I'd need roller blades just to do the laundry in such a home. It's much easier on my PF to have everything right nearby and I'm enjoying that in my new home.

I don't really NEED even this small home. But I want my small home and the privacy it affords, so I have it.

I'm sure that the same holds for people with larger homes. It's a want, not a need.

Carole C

Julie on 1/31/04 at 21:55 (143357)

Interesting post, Suzanne. Needs and wants do change with time. And with possibility: perhaps some 'wants' metamorphose into 'needs' once it becomes possible easily to fulfill them? Cell phones are a good example. It took me years to succumb and get one, and I finally did only so that I could let my husband know if I was stuck in a traffic jam or late getting home for some other reason. That is in fact all I use it for, but it has been extremely useful for its purpose, and saved us both worry and stress on a number of occasions. I would call that fulfilling a 'need'.

On the remote, wild, southwest coast of Crete, I've seen fishermen standing in their little boats with their cell phones to their ears - reassuring their wives that they are ok, chatting to their mates, whatever. A solace in a lonely life. And I've seen a shepherd in the mountains talking on his cell phone - maybe telling his brother or son, or a friend, the whereabouts of a stray goat. Or his daughter that he'll be late home for lunch. So much easier than tramping miles over the hills to deliver the message. I would call that a fulfilment of a 'need'. It's an extraordinary sight, at any rate!

Suzanne D. on 2/01/04 at 07:52 (143360)

Yes, Julie, needs and wants do change with time, don't they? Each February I teach my children about the life of Abraham Lincoln who was born near here. They are always amazed that his cabin had one window which was covered with a piece of oiled paper and that he slept on a mattress stuffed with corn husks. Later, when his step-mother came to live with them - she brought feather mattresses and glass for the windows. Those were probably needs for her and, at the time, maybe wants for Abe and his family.

That's an interesting picture to imagine a fisherman or a shepherd with cell phone in hand! The widespread use of cell phones surely has saved a lot of worry and stress. I know when my daughter went off to college four and a half years ago, it gave me peace of mind to see her pull out of the driveway, knowing she had a cell phone if she had any trouble.

Suzanne D. on 2/01/04 at 08:04 (143361)

Carole, you wouldn't want to learn how to maintain an outhouse! :D I am glad that they are mostly a thing of the past now. However, there are still a few around. My husband preaches at a second little church every other week located in an adjacent county which happens to be on central time. Being an hour behind us, he can go there after our service here and be there on time. They have a very small congregation using a little building which has no bathroom. They have an outhouse, but my daughters and I, who have sometimes accompanied him to those services through the years, manage to always use the bathroom right before we go, so we've never used it. (There are no chickens in the yard, but it still brings back memories!)

My parents used to talk about living through the depression, too. Daddy was the oldest of six, living on a farm, and he said they were lucky because they always had food to eat. He said at that time to be what they called 'fleshy' (not thin) was considered something to be prized for that meant that you had plenty to eat. He said that the sentiment then was 'If you have a roof over your head and something to eat, don't complain'. Grandma made dresses out of feed sacks and instructed Grandpa to not come back from the feedmill with sacks made of different fabrics. She wanted them all the same so she could cut them up to make a dress. The story goes that she sent him back once when the sacks didn't match, so he never repeated that mistake!

With my luck with vehicles, I think I'll classify a cell phone as a need! :D If you do much traveling, you might want to think about keeping yours, Carole. Your friend here will worry less if you do! :)

Kathy G on 2/01/04 at 09:02 (143362)

Such an interesting discussion! My husband and I are still among the relics who don't have a cell phone. It must be hereditary because my son only got his wife's cell when her company decided to supply its workers with them. She already had one of her own and had a contract so he took it over. He claimed that he just didn't believe that people needed to talk to someone all the time and she says he doesn't use it often but seems to like having it when he needs it. He has called me on it but refuses to use it while driving unless he's on a highway. I like his way of thinking.

My daughter has had a cell phone since she was seventeen. I just felt better that she had one with her when she was in her car. I, like Suzanne, worry less when she pulls out of the driveway. She is also less apt to use it in traffic but she's not as strict about it as her brother. There's seven years between them and I think it's the age difference. He didn't get one until he was twenty-eight.

A shepherd or fishermen in using cell phones? Now that really makes me feel like I'm behind the times! I think if I traveled as much as I used to, I'd be more apt to get one. But since the arthritis, I'm much less likely to jump in the car and go to Maine for the day as I used to. I suppose one of these days I'll succumb.

As for the idea of big houses and the conspicuous consumption we are witnessing, I am very concerned. Teacher friends, and I wonder if Suzanne sees this, are telling me that students come in with rather extravagant toys that were given as rewards for good behavior. My own niece called me on her cell phone the other day on her way from the pediatrician's office. She was stopping at Target to allow her two-year-old to pick out a toy as reward for behaving at the doctor's! It was expected that my children would behave at the doctor's and the most they got from me was a hug and a 'I'm proud of you!' Different times!

Julie on 2/01/04 at 09:46 (143366)

Fishermen and shepherds observed with cell phones really make you think! I still find it extraordinary, though I see it fairly often.

Kathy, is it really legal in the States to use a cell phone while driving? I thought the UK was always behind the US, but it's now illegal here to use a hand-held phone while driving. Many, including me, think the legislation didn't go far enough: it should have banned all phone-talking while in charge of a moving vehicle. It's dangerous to have your attention distracted by a conversation with someone who isn't in the car with you: there have been many accidents. I get the creeps when I'm anywhere near someone who is busy phoning - I assume they're only half paying attention to their driving, and give them a wide berth and watch them carefully. I've called my husband when I've been in a stationary jam; otherwise I pull off the road.

wendyn on 2/01/04 at 10:44 (143367)

In Canada, it's not illegal to drive while using a cell phone. I'm amazed at how many people I drive by who are yaking on the phone (especially kids)

wendyn on 2/01/04 at 10:46 (143368)

My favourite thing about cell phones: I have never had to wonder where my teenager is. I phone him. Also - never any excuse for why they didn't phone home...

marie on 2/01/04 at 11:17 (143370)

I was glad I had my cell phone when the deer attacked my car last fall....except I had let the battery run down and couldn't use it. Luckily one of the school bus drivers stopped to see if I was ok and he had a cell phone....accept we couldn't figure out how to use it. After about ten minutes of trial and error we got a phone call to my hubby.

As far as cell phones in way out places .....when in Japan we went hiking in the jungle on Shi-koh-koo (msp?) we not only made cell phone calls but we also emailed back and forth to loved ones in the states on a palm pilot. It was a funny image I'll always remember. It was hot and truely a lush mountain jungle with monkies and snakes. Crazy times.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/01/04 at 12:42 (143380)

We have a local contraversy concerning cell phones while driving, and there has been a lively discussion about it on TV during the past two or three weeks. Apparently it's legal to use cell phones while driving in one of the local suburbs, but policemen there have been pulling people over and writing them tickets for it anyway. They are using some other law to cover it.

Some people complain, and others say that it should be specifically illegal. Still others like the status quo.

Carole C