Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

College Athlete needing to play through the pain

Posted by Lee F. on 1/29/04 at 08:45 (143161)

I am a college baseball player and have been playing through the pain of heel spurs for the last year. Even though I ice, do stretches, and wear orthodics, because I am in baseball cleats a lot means I don't receive much comfort and they hurt all the time. Is there anything I can do to temporarily relieve the pain for a few hours at a time so during my games I can play in relative comfort. I have the option of getting cortizone shots to numb the pain, but I have heard some negative things about cortizone. Please let me know anything I can do. Thanks

Re: College Athlete needing to play through the pain

Rick R on 1/29/04 at 09:44 (143165)

Research the various taping methods discussed on this site. It might make all the difference in the world for you. Taping helps me get over a flair up and is a preventative measure for anything the least bit athletic. Even just coaching kids I tape up. Have you talked to the trainer? I'd be curious what he/she might have had to say.

Joe B. on 1/29/04 at 10:22 (143168)

I have gotten some relief from one of those neoprene ankle braces made by ACE. You can get them at any CVS or Eckerd. The have the hole for your heel, but they seen to grip the plantar fascia and give some support at the area where it meets the heel. Good Luck.

Joe B.

Jamie on 2/02/04 at 11:38 (143466)

Taping is the key here. Theres a couple good examples of taping on this site. I feel your pain. I am an athlete currently training for a profootball combine in June. PF has really caused me alot of pain but i have been able to sprint and make my cuts at almost full speed with tape. Put your orthotics down in you cleats. Do those yoga foot stretches as much as possible. STAY AWAY FROM WEIGHTED CALF RAISES FOR A GOOD WHILE. I think if you get the taping method down you will find that you are able to run at almost 100 percent with greatly reduced pain.