Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Treatment for Flexor Hallucis,and Flexor Digitorum Tenonosynovitis

Posted by sammy p on 1/29/04 at 10:37 (143172)

What can I do for this condition as I have tried 2 cortisone ijections, ice, heat, 6weeks soft boot cast(weightbearing) 4 weeks crutches(non weightbearing) and still am struggling in pain..If the cortisone injections did not help much , do you think ionphoresis with steroid craem will benefit? Any other suggestions is appreciated.

Re: Treatment for Flexor Hallucis,and Flexor Digitorum Tenonosynovitis

Mike W on 1/29/04 at 12:05 (143182)

Hello Sammy,

The Flexor Hallicus has 2 muscles the brevis and longus and for FD as well.

Many Physical Therapists would have you try to stretch and exercises these FLEXOR muscles.

Instead you should try and strengthen and lengthen the ETENSOR TOE MUSCLES. These are the musles that allow you to flex your toes back up towards your body. I would bet that yours are very weak.

If you want more info you should check out http://www.foottrainer.com. , and then click Plantar Fasciitis. There are good anatomy diagrams of these muscles as well.

I would also suggest that you do a search on Julie's yoga stretches, they are excellent and have helped many on this site.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Mike W

Re: mike w.

sammy p on 1/29/04 at 14:09 (143188)

thanks mike,

when you mean strengthen and stretch the the toe extensors du you mean pull the toes toward my body with a towel? I used the towel stretch and this aggravated my FHL. I would loop the towel around my toes and pull the towel toward my body. what specific stretches do you mean?

Mike W on 1/29/04 at 15:26 (143191)

Hello Sammy,

No you should not pull your toes toward your body with a towel.

To isolate and stretch your extensors you want to move your toes towards your body with no resistance. To strengthen them you want to resist as you move your toes towards your body.

There are 4 exercises I would recommend:
Isolation on the base of your big toes.
Isolation on the tips of your big toes.
Isolation on the base of your 2nd - 5th toes.
Isolation on the tips of your 2nd - 5th toes.

There are a few examples of how to do this at http://www.foottrainer.com .

Regards,

Mike W

Dorothy on 1/29/04 at 15:36 (143193)

Mr. Wilmot:

Any progress on the video for the foot trainer program??

Mike W on 1/30/04 at 09:09 (143230)

Hello Dorthy,

I had one made but it was not not very good. The cost to produce a quality production is too costly at this time.

Regards,

Mike W

Dorothy on 1/30/04 at 11:56 (143255)

Ok - I'll quit watching for its debut. Thank you for the response - and for your good products and help.
Best wishes ~