Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shoes and PF

Posted by Lisa S on 1/29/04 at 11:13 (143177)

Hi- I need new shoes and advice. I have terrible feet, in addition to the PF.
I have flat feet, slightly wide (C width) and had bunion surgery 25 years ago and have had some regrowth, although it doesn't bother me. I've worn orthotics since the surgery. I work out daily at the YMCA lifting weights, and doing recumbent bike and rower since I can't do a tredmill because of the PF. For years I wore Addidas Response, and most recently got NB 609. The NB 609 are the ones I've been wearing since the PF developed about 6 months ago. Any advice? I see many of you like the Brooks Ariel or Addiction. And some seem to like the NB 991. Any thoughts before I go on a quest???

Re: shoes and PF

Julie on 1/29/04 at 16:51 (143199)

Lisa, I am wondering if you saw my response to your question, which you asked earlier on another thread.

Lisa S on 1/30/04 at 12:45 (143258)

Yes, Julie, I did, thank you! I hate to buy shoes from catalogues, untried. So I went to my local big box sporting goods store and bought a pair of NB 756 walking shoes. I'll wear them around inside for awhile to make sure my little toes don't get pinched. Thanks for your help and I'll let you know. I'd love to get back to the treadmill, elliptical and walking someday, but I guess I have to be patient.

Ron B on 1/30/04 at 17:21 (143276)

Lisa
I buy Brooks 'The Beast' my pod said this is one of the best. I guess every Doc. and everyone on this board have their own opinon. when I was in the Brooks outlet store, a lady was buying her third pair of 'the beast' she said she won't buy anything else. Three yrs ago her pod told her she was going to have to have surgery. she started wearing the beast and hasn't had to have the surgery. There is a womens shoe that is equal to the mens Beast but I can't remember the name. A Brooks store could tell you.
I use to wear NB but I like the Brooks shoe better. I like their wide shoes. Good luck with your walking
Ron B

Richard, C.Ped on 1/31/04 at 08:27 (143303)

We actually suggest the Beast quite often. Sometimes, orthotics will work great with a motion control shoe, sometimes they do not. The women's shoes are the Ariel and Addiction (if they still make the Addiction).

Re: Brooks Ariel

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/04 at 13:28 (143327)

I tried on the Ariel last year. It made me really 'walk funny' to the point of being scary! I was afraid I would injure myself just walking across the room. My comments to the salesman: 'Ooooh, nooo, these are very NOT right!!! Take them away!'

They are probably great for people who severely overpronate, which includes the majority of PF sufferers. To me they feel like they really take control and govern one's stride. You have no choice. You are forced to walk a certain way (at least that was my impression).

I guess I don't overpronate enough for the Ariel. For me, the NB 991 seems very good.

Carole C