Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RichardCped Orthotics for Tenosynovitis of FHL&FDL

Posted by sammy p on 1/30/04 at 08:48 (143228)

Richard,

I have been diagnosed with Tenosynovitis of the Flexor Digitorum and the Flexor Hallucis Tendon which are on the inside ankle and control flexion of the toes. Can you suggest any type of orthotic that could help this problem and have you ever seen this type of tendonitis treated succesfully with orthoitcs.

Thank you, Sammy p

Re: RichardCped Orthotics for Tenosynovitis of FHL&FDL

Richard, C.Ped on 1/31/04 at 08:24 (143302)

Do you by chance overpronate?? Have you worn orthotics in the past?
I think a basic orthosis that will get you in a proper neutral sub-talor position should do just fine. If you do overpronate, I would think that would stretch the tendon more which, as you know, hurts. If you see some one who suggests a hard plastic orthosis, I would be sure to ask for good cushion to minimize discomfort.
Hope that helps

sammy p on 1/31/04 at 10:22 (143311)

Richard Thanks,

I do have an orthotic that has a rigid plastic for the arch support, and does not seem to be helping after actaully getting this injury with my orthotics on. What is overproantion? And how can it be controlled?

Richard, C.Ped on 1/31/04 at 10:42 (143313)

Overpronation is basically sometimes flat feet. As you take a step, your foot 'flops' down to no arch.

sammy p on 2/01/04 at 13:57 (143396)

richard i actually have a high arch in my problematic foot.