Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Socks

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 13:17 (143260)

I've always just worn cheap packaged Wal-Mart socks, the thicker ones. They feel like cotton, though they might have some poly content. They shrink in the wash after a few months, though. I can still wear them, but I like them better before they shrink.

I've never had 'nice' socks, like Thorlos. Thorlos have been recommended by several people here, because they are very comfortable for PF sufferers. They also sound warm, thick, and luxurious.

Do Thorlos shrink in the wash? Can you just throw them in with t-shirts and jeans, like I do now with my cheap socks?

Just curious, since I am getting to the point of needing new socks. I am not very interested in separating my wash just for socks; life is short and there's much more I'd rather be doing.

Carole C

Re: Socks

Suzanne D. on 1/30/04 at 13:55 (143263)

Hi, Carole! It's a nice time to be thinking about socks as it is COLD here today! :)

I bought a pair of Thorlos, and I've worn them often. They have not seemed to shrink to me, and that is something I notice. Wearing a shoe size 11, most socks are just the right length, and if they shrink they 'bug' me and don't last as long because I have them stretched so tightly.

I also like the socks I've bought at Lane Bryant. I suppose those stores are all over the country. I've found some nice and pretty socks there, and - maybe because the store is for larger size women - the socks seem to me to be more generously cut, and they last well for me.

My favorite socks come from a little shop in Brown County, Indiana, called 'The Bare Feet' store. The whole store is nothing but socks of all kinds and patterns. Those socks are thicker than average and hold up so well.

To answer your question about the Thorlos - I don't treat them in any special way when I wash. I don't the other socks I wear, either.

Happy sock shopping!
Suzanne :)

Julie on 1/30/04 at 14:59 (143266)

Carole

Thorlos don't shrink. They wash very well, in the machine or by hand, and they last forever. There are several varieties, ranging from 'light hiking' to a really heavy, thick ski sock. The light hiking ones are the ones I use, and they're quite thick enough. The great thing about them is that they actually contribute to support - a really well-made sock. I'm sure you'll like them.

john h on 1/30/04 at 15:41 (143269)

What I am finding with my older Thorlos is they start to unthread at the top. I use the washing machine and it is one that spins really fast.

Kathy in KY on 1/30/04 at 16:32 (143272)

I just did a search on ebay, there are some Thorlos listed on there this week. That might be a good way to try out a few pair to see if you like them.

Julie on 1/30/04 at 16:33 (143273)

Yes, I find that too, but only after years of wear - and the threads can be snipped off (maybe Mary could do that for you...) :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 20:16 (143281)

Thanks for the tips on socks, Suzanne!!! You have given me some good ideas. We have a Lane Bryant here too, and I will check out there socks. The Thorlos sound great, but expensive.

Thanks again - - :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 20:18 (143282)

Thanks for the information, Julie! I'm glad to hear that they don't shrink. They might be exactly right for me, then.

If I look online, maybe I can find someplace in my area that carries them so that I could see what they're like before buying them.

Carole C.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 20:19 (143283)

Good idea! I still haven't signed up for PayPal so that I can buy things on e-bay. I should, though. There are a lot of nice things there.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 20:22 (143284)

I meant 'I will check out their socks', not 'there socks'. I must be getting tired tonight! Thanks again.

Carole C

Re: Their/there

Julie on 1/30/04 at 21:27 (143289)

It's the easiest of keyboard errors to make, Carole. I made it the other way round yesterday in one of my posts: I meant 'their', keyed in 'there', noticed it after posting, felt embarrassed, and almost posted a correction. But then I figured that probably no-one notices these things, or if they do, they either don't care or they make allowances for flying fingers occasionally landing on wrong keys, and for busy folks not having time to proofread everything they say.

I also typed 'thing' for 'think' yesterday, and goodness knows what else. We know you can spell, so don't worry.

Just don't misspell 'Thorlos' when you get to eBay. You might end up buying something else. :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/04 at 21:52 (143293)

I didn't notice your there/their typo, or thing/think either one! Thanks for your faith in my spelling. I was embarrassed, too.

I'll be careful on e-bay. LOL

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/31/04 at 09:07 (143307)

I've never worn Thorlos but my husband tried them when they were pretty new on the market and he found them to be too hot. It may have been that they didn't have as many varieties as they have now. He does tend to have very sweaty feet.

I have problems with sweaty feet if I don't wear sox that have a great deal of cotton in them but I like thin sox so I wear cheap versions of 'Gold Toe' sox. Thy're usually 95% cotton and 5% spandex or similar blend. I can't remember what they're called but I pick them up in J C Penney or Marshall's when I see them. I can't bring myself to spend $6 on a pair of sox.

I like to wear sox that will look all right with the jeans that I usually wear so most of them are navy with flowers, stripes, whatever on them.

Julie on 1/31/04 at 09:25 (143309)

Yes, Kathy, that's right: even the lightest Thorlos are fairly thick. But the synthetic material they're made of is supposed to wick away perspiration moisture, whereas cotton absorbs it. Sporting goods shops always tell you that now, and advise buying synthetic socks for walking, or whatever. I've found this to be right: my feet get less hot and less sweaty with the Thorlos I now wear for walking, than with the cotton socks I used to wear.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/04 at 13:18 (143326)

Maybe I'll try one pair of Thorlos first, and decide if I like them. I've always liked the feel of cotton, but it isn't so great when it shrinks!

I used to wear Gold Toe socks a long time ago, but for some reason I switched. They are nicer than Wal-Mart socks, and not too expensive.

Carole C