Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Julie about yoga

Posted by Buck T. on 2/03/04 at 09:37 (143535)

Hello Julie: Feel silly. Been doing yoga stretches with bending toes back instead of toes foreward as you clearly indicated. Much better your way. Think I confused your stretches with someone elses.

Buck

Re: To Julie about yoga

Julie on 2/03/04 at 10:38 (143542)

Buck - read the instructions carefully. You're meant to curl the toes forwards, then bend them back and spread them. In other words, they move both ways.

Don't feel silly!

Ron B on 2/03/04 at 12:00 (143550)

Hey Buck
Talking about feeling silly, I can bend my toes forward and back BUT I CAN'T spread them !! They don't move sideways ! :O(
Ron B

Julie on 2/03/04 at 16:27 (143567)

Ron, that's normal, but they will spread eventually - with practice. Not being able to spread your toes and make space between them suggests the muscles that are supposed to accomplish that are too weak to do it. Keep working at it to strengthen them. The point isn't what you can do now, but what you may be able to do if you practise the exercise.

Ron B on 2/03/04 at 22:40 (143593)

Julie
I can't even come close to spreading my toes, its like they are glued together. my wife can't do it either. maybe it has to do with all the rain we get in Seattle, their probably rusted together. :O( I can spread my fingers pretty good. :O)
Ron B

Julie on 2/04/04 at 01:40 (143597)

Ron

It's not the rain in Seattle. It's the fact that your toes have been confined in socks and shoes all your life, and you have never moved them in this way. They are capable of moving, and they will move - forwards, backwards and to the sides - once you've 'educated' them. Here is your opportunity to get to know your toes, and to move 28 joints that you never even knew you had (yes, that's how many joints there are in your toes: two in each of your big toes, three in each of the smaller toes on each foot.

Our poor toes work so hard and so uncomplainingly for us, carrying us around as we stand, walk and run, contributing to our balance as well as to our mobility. And we pay them no attention - just cover them up in socks and shoes and expect them to do all that work with no thanks or even recognition. Then when we try to exercise them we find they don't move very much, and that's no surprise.

All those 28 joints will move, and you will be able to create space between them, if you want to - by practising. All my students can spread their toes; for most of them it took time.

You may find this helpful: when you're practising, focus on making as much space as you can between the big toe and the littlest toe on each foot. Once you have some movement there, the middle toes will start responding, and follow along. Be patient, and don't think 'I can't do this', or 'my toes won't do this'. Just practice.

Buck T. on 2/04/04 at 09:57 (143611)

Hello Julie: Well, now I do feel silly. But at last I have it...I hope. Extend heel forward, curl toes forward, gently curl toes back and learn to spread them. Thanks for explantion on toe joints and yoga practices.

Buck

Buck T. on 2/04/04 at 09:59 (143612)

Hi Ron: I live in sunny Texas where we don't get rain. But, somehow, I think my brain has rusted.

Buck

Julie on 2/04/04 at 11:37 (143619)

Yes, you have it, Buck. Happy stretching!

You too, Ron.

And no feeling silly, either of you.

:)

john h on 2/06/04 at 08:58 (143744)

I have no problem spreading my toes. My father could bend all his finger at the first joint at the same time. Try that. I cannot even do one finger.

Julie on 2/06/04 at 09:22 (143747)

I can't either, John :)

Kathy G on 2/06/04 at 10:10 (143763)

John,

You mean just his top joint? Without bending the other? Was he double jointed ? I can't even begin to do that!

john h on 2/06/04 at 13:12 (143783)

Yes I am talking about his top joint in all fingers Kathy on both hands. I do not know if he was double jointed or not. He was a dentist and obviouly used his hands a lot.

Buck T. on 2/06/04 at 16:27 (143812)

Hi Julie: Am looking at the yoga instructions. Right after it says curl the toes foreward, it says 'stretch' the toes and spread them. Some of us are not interpteting 'stretch' as bending the toes back. Would it be clearer if something like 'flex or bend toes back' were added? Might also add these are dynamic exercises and not holding ones.
Buck

Julie on 2/07/04 at 00:15 (143832)

Buck

I'm away all weekend on a course, but will think about this on Monday.