Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NODULE IN FEET

Posted by KATHY H on 2/03/04 at 13:17 (143555)

I AM ABOUT TO HAVE A DR APPT. TO REACH A SECOND OPINION ON SURGERY FOR PLANTAR FIBRMYALGIA IN THE PLANTAR FASCIA IN THE ARCJ OF MY RT. FOOT. 3 YEARS AGO I HAD SURGERY TO REMOVE A PEA SIZE TUMOR IN MY RIGHT FOOT. I AM ABOUT TO HAVE A 2ND SURGERY TO REMOVE A MARBLE SIZE OR LARGER TUMOR IN THE SAME PLACE. THEY SUGGEST CHEMO TO KEEP THEM FROM RETURNING. HELP WHAT DO I DO. I GET MUSCLE CRAMPS IN THE BOTTOM OF MY FEET SO BAD I CAN'T DRIVE A CAR. IT'S LIKE WALKING AROUND ALL DAY WITH A ROCK IN YOUR SHOE.

Re: NODULE IN FEET

Pauline on 2/03/04 at 16:30 (143568)

Kathy,
Not to seem nosey but what type of doctors are you seeing for this condition and who has suggested chemo to you?

KATHY H on 2/03/04 at 19:50 (143584)

BOTH TIMES IT WILL BE AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON. TWO DIFFERENT DOCTORS BUTT BOT OF THEM ORTOPEDICS

KATHY H on 2/03/04 at 19:54 (143585)

THE DORTORS I HAVE SEEN BOTH TIMES ARE ORTHOPEDIC SURGEONS. THE DOCTORS IN PHILADELPHIA ORTHOPEDIC HOSPITAL HAVE SUGGESTED CHEMO.

Pauline on 2/03/04 at 20:38 (143586)

Kathy,
Thank you for posting. I think we will all learn something from your posts. I've been on the board for just about 3 years and am interested in understanding more about the chemo that was suggested to help your condition and your surgery.

I don't ever recall another post from someone with this and the use of chemo so this is definately something that I hope you will keep us informed about as you learn more about it.

I'm sure others who suffer as you do will be very interested too.

Hopefully the doctors that post here will have some information for you especially since your having to go through repeat surgery and now with a suggestion of chemo too.

I surely hope everything goes well for you and will keep you in my prayers. Please keep us posted because your condition frequently shows up on this site from time to time. Others will certainly learn things from your post. It works both ways. That's what is great about this site.

Julie on 2/04/04 at 01:24 (143595)

Kathy, are these tumours cancerous? If not, I am extremely puzzled by the suggestion of chemotherapy to remove them. I am not a doctor, but I have had cancer, and I know a little about chemotherapy. Is this what your orthopaedic doctors are suggesting?

There are many different chemotherapy drugs. Some are more toxic than others, but all of them kill healthy cells as well as unhealthy cells. If your tumours aren't malignant, this seems a very extreme way of going about treating them.

Of course I only know what you have told us, and there may be more to it than you have said, but what you did say worried me to the point where I felt I had to say something.

KATHY H on 2/04/04 at 10:00 (143613)

JULIE, MY TUMORS ARE NOT CANCEROUS. THEY DO SPREAD. SO TO KEEP THAT FROM HAPPENING SOME TYPE OF CHEMO WAS SUGGESTED. I WAS TO SEE THE DRS. YESTERDAY, {FEB. 4TH} BUT DO TO BAD WEATHER THE OFFICES CLOSED. I AM ANXIOUS TO FIND OUT SOMETHING.

Re: NODULE IN FEET NON CANCEROUS

KATHY H on 2/04/04 at 10:01 (143614)

JULIE, MY TUMORS ARE NOT CANCEROUS. THEY DO SPREAD. SO TO KEEP THAT FROM HAPPENING SOME TYPE OF CHEMO WAS SUGGESTED. I WAS TO SEE THE DRS. YESTERDAY, {FEB. 4TH} BUT DO TO BAD WEATHER THE OFFICES CLOSED. I AM ANXIOUS TO FIND OUT SOMETHING. KATHY H

Dr. Z on 2/04/04 at 10:44 (143617)

Hi KAthy

Is the condition called Plantar fibromatosis or fibroma. This has a very high surgical re-occurence. I have never heard about Chemo for this specific problem. If you take a look at the search engine on this site there are some very good treatments out this for this. Get a second opinion if we are talking chemo. Just never heard of this unless with are talking about a local cancerous growth

Julie on 2/04/04 at 11:42 (143621)

Kathy, I'm glad to hear your tumours are not cancerous.

Chemotherapy is only for cancer, and it is an aggressive, toxic treatment that does not work even in all cases of cancer. Dr Z has advised you to get another opinion and I absolutely agree. Chemo would be the classic 'sledgehammer to crack a nut'.

Perhaps the orthopedic doctor used the term 'chemo' very loosely, really meaning something else. But in that case, the most charitable explanation is that he has misled and confused you.

I'm sure there is an answer to your foot problems, but chemotherapy is not it. Please be very careful. You do not have to believe and accept everything a doctor says.

Pauline on 2/04/04 at 16:52 (143632)

Julie,
I'm not so sure that chemo isn't used for treating her condition.
I was trying to find information for her and came across this article. Here is a case where a non malignant tumour is treated with surgery and chemo. Certainly not her condition, but a different use of these drugs.

I think your correct in warning her about chemo treatment. She definately needs to do a good amount of homework, maybe a visit to a Medical Library to learn more about her condition and proposed treatment options.

She also needs to take this seriously and ask lots of questions of her treating physicians.

Desmoid tumours (also known as fibromatosis or musculoaponeurotic fibromatosis).
Desmoid tumours are not true sarcomas and strictly speaking, they are not malignant either, because they do not spread. However, they do often come back after treatment. They can sometimes occur in young adults, associated with a condition known as familial adenomatous polyposis or Gardner's syndrome.

In some cases, these tumours appear as distinct round lumps, for example within an abdominal muscle. If so, treatment would be very similar to the treatment of a muscle sarcoma - complete surgical removal, with a wide safety margin.

In other cases, fibromatosis can produce a diffuse mass that spreads through several adjacent tissues. This makes surgical clearance more difficult. We would still aim to treat it surgically, as this does appear to be the most successful form of treatment. Radiotherapy or chemotherapy may also be considered, either in conjunction with surgery or instead of it.

In some cases, fibromatosis will grow fairly rapidly for a few months, and then stop growing, even without treatment. In these cases, it may be preferable to have a period of observation instead of any treatment.

Julie on 2/05/04 at 01:55 (143653)

Pauline

I didn't know about that, and it's interesting, but I think it's far-fetched. I'm no expert, but I know enough about the effects of chemotherapy to be suspicious of the suggestion of its use in cases that do not absolutely countenance it: i.e. where life is not threatened by the disease.

Kathy does not have a life-threatening disease, and I very much hope that she will do her research.