Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

complications post triple arthrodesis

Posted by michele g. on 2/03/04 at 18:33 (143580)

I am desperate for some advise seeing as I have been in constant pain for 6+years. Started from a running injury and 6 surgeries later still in agony. Latest x-rays post triple arthodesis suggest loosening of hardware and arthritis. The ankle fusion was 1 1/2 years ago and I can't seem to get any Doctors to want to further my treatment. I am only 34 years old and in agony. Do you have any suggestions as to how to go about being taken seriously? I have been advised to wait 4 months to see if hardware has loosened more and possibly have it removed. What about the arthritis? Is there anything to help with the pain? It is a very complicated case and the Doctors don't seem to want anything to do with trying to free me from pain. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I can barely walk at this point.
Thank you so much.
Sincerely,
Michele

Re: complications post triple arthrodesis

elliott on 2/05/04 at 11:37 (143686)

Michele, as another runner who got into trouble with injuries and post-surg complications, my heart goes out to you.

One reason docs often are reluctant to perform further surgery at this stage is that it might only make things worse; that's why waiting, even a long time, even in pain, can be prudent. A pain mgmt doc might help with controlling the pain. Have you tried any drugs yet? Celebrex, Vioxx, other prescription drugs, as well as some OTC pills often provide relief for arthritis, if that is what it is.

Can you tell me what your initial symptoms and surgeries were? Also, where do you live and how far are you willing to travel to see a doc? If you'd like to discuss things (such as doctors) offline, please post your email address here and I'll contact you.

elliott

Re: complications post triple arthrodesis

michele g. on 2/07/04 at 06:13 (143837)

Dear Elliott,
Thank-you so much for letting me know that I am not the only one who has had surgery complications I so appreciate your response and would love to answer all the questions you asked. You have been a glimmer of hope for me and I am grateful just to know that you took the time to contact me. My e-mail address is (email removed)
God Bless,
Michele