Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

curious about opinions on docs plan

Posted by Lorinda N on 2/04/04 at 13:43 (143627)

Today I visited my podiatrist. I have a partially ruptured plantar ffascia. The treatment plan:
1. no support, pain meds walk on it as much as I can to help stretch it out- exercises, etc. (to help avoid scar tissue- he said stretching it now since its partially seperated will help it lengthen- less chance of scar tissue?) for 2 weeks
2. next visit if im still in pain, talk about doing ESTW because he wants to avoid surgery as much as I do.. LOL

Doc also noted my bone spur has grown alot in the past 6 months ( since last xray), and my heel bone isnt smooth like it should be, but kind of jagged.

already tried: nsaids, physical therapy, ice, rest, shots, orthotics, heat

Anyways, just wondered if this sounds normal....
thanks,,,, LOrinda

Re: curious about opinions on docs plan

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/04/04 at 19:04 (143638)

I would not recommend walking without support for a partially ruptured plantar fascia. I would provide support with orthoses or a removable walking cast. Stretching exercises may actually cause a complete tear which will result in additional scarring. I'm not sure why your doctor has even mentioned surgery, since he/she isn't going to repair the fascia, therefore what was the proposed surgery?? ESWT may also cause a partial tear to become complete. I would strongly advise some form of support and immobilization, IF this is an acute injury.

Re: curious about opinions on docs plan

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/04 at 08:45 (143667)

I totally agree with Dr. Wander. It is hard to believe your doctor told you to walk on it as much as you can without support. Yikes!

You need that support in order to help promote healing. You could get the walking casts, or even softer (but still functional) orthtotics with a built in gel heel pad.