Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT & Anti-inflamatory

Posted by rsk on 2/04/04 at 19:14 (143641)

Hi group

Can somebody pls tell me how taking anti-inflamatory meds after ESWT will adversely affect the results of ESWT. Is it medically proven that it does affect. I used to take vioxx before eswt but after i stopped. But somehow I feel that taking vioxx will help in reducing the inflamation. But after reading many posts here I am not sure what I should do. any suggestions

thanks for the help

cheers...rsk

Re: ESWT & Anti-inflamatory

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/04 at 22:44 (143650)

rsk:
The first thing to realize is that I know of no solid research on this particular issue. The theory is that the body handles chronic inflammation very poorly, causing thickening and scarring of the fascia.
ESWT basically sets up acute inflammation which our bodies handle much better, the concept being, that the body will set in motion a set of beneficial responses. Those responses include revascularization (laying down new blood vessels), sending in cells and enzymes that help break down scar tissue and basically resulting in a remodeling of the diseased tissue to newer, healthier tissue. As such, one does not want to suppress the beneficial aspects of the acute inflammatory process with an anti-inflammatory.

How long should one stay away from anti-inflammatories after ESWT? There is little agreement but my philosophy is that a minumum of three weeks with six weeks being optimimum. There are numerous opinions on this.
Ed

Ron B on 2/05/04 at 20:23 (143713)

rsk
I had my ESWT nine weeks ago. I'm going to stay away from anti-inflammatories for another month. my pod said it might be a good idea.
RonB

Mark L on 2/06/04 at 06:47 (143732)

If there are no medical conditions that require the use of anti-inflamatory medications, and if the patients discomfort level is easily managed with a pain medication like Tylenol why take them at all at any time post ESWT??

Dr. Z on 2/06/04 at 19:41 (143824)

I agree. I am talking about people that have pain and other conditions that require nsaid