Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

recommended shoes

Posted by Anna V. on 2/04/04 at 21:29 (143648)

hi! i have plantarfasciitis and i just wanted to know if i can wear shoes with heels which are not too high. probably a little more than 1 inch. i was used to wearing high heels before and i read somewhere in the article that changing shoes can also give pain because calf muscles get accustomed to the extra heel height and loose their flexibility. how true is this? also, can you recommend certain products which can be helpful in the treatment of my pf? thanks.

Re: recommended shoes

Julie on 2/05/04 at 02:20 (143655)

Anna

Heels higher than one inch sound a bit high to me, but I'm sure one of the doctors will answer this specific question.

Wearing high heels shortens the calf muscles, which is a contributory cause of PF. If you lower the heels you wear it may feel uncomfortable at first because your muscles are being asked to work differently, but it will be better for you.

You need to see a podiatrist so that the cause of your PF can be found and treated. Meanwhile, you can read the heel pain book - click on the blue words. It will give you a great deal of information about plantar fasciitis and conservative treatments for it.

Re: recommended shoes

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/04 at 08:47 (143668)

Some people do have short heel cords which makes them feel better with a slight lift to their heel. I do not know if you are like that, but if you are not, I would say stay away from the heels. You also do not want that extra pressure on the ball of your foot. That could possible open up another can of worms.

I tell my patients that I do not wear high heels, so they should not either. haha
Richard