Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Julie again about yoga

Posted by Buck T. on 2/05/04 at 09:42 (143674)

Julie: Thanks for posts on dorsiflexion. One more question about yoga which I am able to do. When flexing toes foreward, do you hold it any amount of time? And when curling toes back and spreading them, same question. Right now am just doing what feels like a good stretch in both positions. Thanks, again.

Buck

Re: To Julie again about yoga

Julie on 2/05/04 at 09:53 (143675)

Buck

Just follow the breathing instructons as given: exhale as you curl the toes forward, inhale as you draw them back and spread them. You don't hold your breath, so you don't hold the stretch. It's a dynamic exercise, not a holding one.

Ron B on 2/05/04 at 20:16 (143712)

Hey Buck
I've always had trouble following instructons. even in grade school the teacher would always tell my Mom 'Ron needs to follow instructions'.When I do the yoga stretches I bend my toes forward and hold them for 15 seconds. I was doing 10 reps. Not sure where I came up with that idea??? heck now that I don't have to hold them to the count of 15, I can get done 2 1/2 min faster now!!! What a deal!!!
Ron B
PS I can see a little daylight between my big toe and the next one. :O)

Julie on 2/06/04 at 00:47 (143730)

Well done, Ron! That's progress, and it didn't take very long. We'll have you seeing daylight through all eight spaces before you know it. :)

Buck T. on 2/06/04 at 09:46 (143755)

Julie: Thanks so much. This makes all the difference in the world. There was another different posting sometime back which instructed curling toes back and holding for 15 to 30 seconds. I think Ron and I incorporated this wrongly into the yoga.

Buck

Julie on 2/06/04 at 10:38 (143765)

I'm glad we've sorted it out, Buck.

Pete R on 2/06/04 at 12:57 (143781)

I've been doing them wrong as well. Think your 'yoga' instructions need amending as it does not say bend your toes back and then stretch them. It says bend them forward into a fist and stretch, nothing about bending them back. Sorry to be pedantic.

Re: Julie

Ron B on 2/06/04 at 13:22 (143787)

Hey Julie
My wife will probably be able to look in my ear and see daylight out through the other one before I will see any between my little toe and the next one. I'm sure they are welded together. so what does spreading your toes do for ya? doesn't cure PF does it??
Ron B

Julie on 2/06/04 at 14:42 (143795)

Pete, once you have curled your toes forward, you can't stretch and spread them without uncurling them, and when you uncurl them you are bringing them back towards your body. The exercise, and the instructions for it, are simple: I think you are - possibly, and with all due respect - being pedantic! :)

Julie on 2/06/04 at 14:45 (143797)

Ron, I explained that, didn't I? However. Spreading your toes strengthens the muscles. Strengthening the muscles helps.

Your toes are not welded together. They are independent entities, and between them your ten toes have 28 joints and plenty of movement forwards, backwards and sideways. You just haven't been acquainted with them until now.

Now's your chance. Enjoy your toes.

Ron B on 2/07/04 at 19:52 (143890)

Julie
Yep you did explain it. I remember the 28 joints. Hey don't feel bad, my wife has to tell me things twice most of the time.
Ron B