Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

torn tendon

Posted by Deb D on 2/06/04 at 14:42 (143796)

After wearing a richey brace for 1 mo. Went back to pod today. Seems I have a tear in my tendon. He says it is from some kinkd of trauma to my foot. My question is could the ESWT I had done in Oct. be the cause of the tear?

Re: torn tendon

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/06/04 at 17:53 (143820)

Yes, it is a possibility that ESWT can cause a tendon rupture, but very unlikely unless the ESWT was applied to the area of the tendon for a prolonged time, and the tendon had some pre-disposing injury. Why were you originally prescribed the Richie Brace??? It is usually used for posterior tibial tendon dysfunction or a partial tear of the tendon. Therefore I'm confused at to why your doctor told you that there's a tear of the tendon, one month AFTER he dispensed the Richie Brace.

Deb D on 2/06/04 at 19:55 (143825)

Last Mar. I first went to pod for PF. Had my orthos made.In May my foot went tingly and burning. In June had a nerve test done for TTS. I complained about heel pain in Aug. Had an ultrasound done. Had a heel spur. Oct had eswt. Went back 1 mo later had a small lump on inside of arch. Made a brace because he thought my tendon was swollen alittle. Pod said the brace should take care of it. This time when I went back he did another ultrsound and saw a small tear . Have to go for an MRI because the tendon is so inflamed to see how bad the tear is.

Dr. Z on 2/08/04 at 10:54 (143929)

This could be the posterior tibial tendon that is injuried. Many times the plantar fascia and the Post tib tendon are both the cause of your heel pain. Plantar fasciitis could be s symtom of posterior tibial injury and or dysfunction. The MRI will give you a clear picture of what is going on. Could also be a fibroma

Deb D on 2/08/04 at 11:09 (143932)

I do have a fibroma, but it's about 1' from my inflammed tendon