Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new to me heel pain/whinning runner

Posted by LeeAnn S. on 2/06/04 at 15:58 (143807)

I am a runner. I had been 'out' of running for a little over a year, but decided this was the year to go all out, and get back into jogging/running.
I have shoes that most likely need replacing, as they are a couple years old, so I'm suspicious on their impact protection.
Anyhow, I have been running at our local gym on a treadmill.
I managed to run anywhere from 2-4 miles lately. In the last week to 10 days, I have developed pain in right heel area. I am fairly suspicious about the plantar fascia, but I don't seem to have pain on awakening.
Yesterday, I ran about a mile and a half, when the pain cropped up. I managed to shift my weight, and continue my run to two and a half miles, however, I had to stop abruptly, with NO cool down period. The pain in right heel region was so severe, that even putting weight on it was very HOT seering ouchie. The pain seems to be generating from the inside and outside of the heel, and I suspect strained connective tissue? I took Aleve, which promptly gave me a LOT of relief. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you... I do NOT want to give up running. I will swim for the next week or two, and hunt for new and improved foot wear, maybe arch support, and more sole/gel/impact improvement.

Re: new to me heel pain/whinning runner

SteveG on 2/06/04 at 17:24 (143813)

LeeAnn - Unfortunately, you ARE going to have to give up running for a while. You don't want this to become a long term problem, believe me. Read the heel pain book on this site to get a good overview of the problem and a detailed discussion of your treatment options

Re: new to me heel pain/whinning runner

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/06/04 at 17:50 (143819)

My first recommendation would be to seek medical care to determine the extent of your injury and to establish a diagnosis. No recommendations can be given until a diagnosis is obtained.