Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS surgery and still feel pain

Posted by Christine S on 2/07/04 at 00:50 (143833)

Hi There,
I had TTS surgery in June (right foot) and October (left) and am still having pain. Do you know how long it would take for me to start feeling it if my scar tissue was causing a retrapment? It's a little funny that both feet would feel the same way if the surgeries were so far apart. I am feeling electric shocks at night when I try to lay down and go to sleep. Sometimes they are so bad they make my whole leg jump. I am hoping that these are signs that my nerves are actually doing something (like regenerating). Anyway, I may have to go back and see my Dr. about it. If you could help me please let me know.
Thanks, Chris

Re: TTS surgery and still feel pain

Liz on 2/09/04 at 10:06 (143979)

I had a tarsal release done in 2001. I am still feeling the pain. However, it is not as intense as before surgery. The surgical area is still tender. My doctor told me it sometimes takes 2 or 3 surgeries to see a significant difference and sometimes it doesn't help at all. I cope with the pain. I do not take any pills. They are a temporary fix plus addictive. Your body gets use to them then you have to increase the dosage. (a vicious circle). The best thing to do with tarsal tunnel is to avoid prolonged standing, good shoes with good arch support and socks that fit properly. Good luck.

Chris S on 2/09/04 at 11:56 (143990)

Thanks for the tip. I had a problem trying to come off of heavy medications after a Hysterectomy and adhesions and it was horrible. I do take Darvacet (spelling?) at night and try not to take any during the day if I can. I am taking 1200 mg of Neurontin and Ultram during the day. I am not so sure I like it because it messes with my mind and I can't think straight. I have made an appointment to go and see a Physical Therapist next week and I hope I have good results with that. Are you the same LARA that talked about the different jobs in another message? I was a bank teller before and won't be able to return back to that type of job. Thanks.

jeane p on 2/19/04 at 12:23 (144708)

christine, i am surprised that you had your surgeries so close togather? i have tts in both feet and just had surgery 6 wks ago.i am a recovery room nurse and have been told by several orthopods that it is a loooong recovery and that i should wait @ least 6 months,preferably a year to have the 2nd foot corrected. i too am having shooting pains in the operative foot and have been told that this is normal. good luck to you!

Chris S on 2/22/04 at 21:51 (145056)

Hi Jeane, if I had known how much pain the first foot would have been in when I had the second surgery I probably would not have done it. I was very nervous about hurting the other foot when I was in my cast and on crutches. I think maybe it was because I am on Disability from work that made them do it so close together. I am really not sure. How does your foot feel otherwise. Did you have any imediate relief? I was very disappointed when I did not have any relief. I did start some Physical Therapy last week and he showed me some stretches for the ankle and it has helped quite a bit. Good luck. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing!