Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and working poll

Posted by johnquil on 2/07/04 at 09:03 (143847)

Does anyone have trouble working with tts and what type of job are u doing to avoid problems, or is this a disability and is it easy to get social security disablity from this painful problem?

Re: TTS and working poll

Terri on 2/07/04 at 09:30 (143849)

I don't think you could get disability benefits easily. SSI will fight it with arguments to the effect of job re-training, etc. That and the fact there are a lot of people in the world with much worse health problems than what we have and they manage to support themselves, take MS for example.

I'm lucky enough to be the manager of my dept and although I will go out on the dock and inspect, help as needed, I can only do it in small increments. About 90% of my job now is at a desk, in front of a computer. I am up and about quite a bit but only a few steps at a time, to printers, copy and fax machines, etc. My company is very supportive in assisting me with whatever I need.

marie on 2/07/04 at 13:53 (143872)

I'm a teacher. It is difficult to get disability benefits for tts. You have to prove that you can't work at all. I never missed a day of school even with the worst pain from tts.....I did miss because of medical appointments. I used a wheel chair. Folks who get disability for tts have often been dx with depression as well.

I work...I consider myself somewhat recovered.

I changed my teaching style to accomodate my feet. I take brakes and sit when possible. I have students come to me rather than me going to them. I sit in the middle of a circle so I can get to them easily and they can get to me easily. I have always felt that I can do anything I put my mind to....it's that attitude that has gotten me this far. I don't use my wheel chair anymore! HURRAY!

Mona on 2/07/04 at 18:28 (143883)

Fortunately I am a retired teacher. My last year of teaching I had to sit most of the time because of the pain. That is hard to do when you teach first grade. So I was lucky enough to retire at age 54.

I'm so glad I don't have to work after having this surgery. I think it would be hard but do-able if you were smart about it. Using chair on wheels would help.

good luck.

Kathy in Ky on 2/07/04 at 19:59 (143891)

I am also a teacher. This fall was my most painful time with PF & TTS. My pod. wrote a letter to my administrator to explain my medical condition. I was able to switch supervision duties, have a large fatique mat placed in front of classroom & for about 4 weeks, I just worked 4 days a week. I taught on Mon/Tues, basically on bed rest Wed & then worked Thurs/Fri then back to rest. Following those 4 weeks, I wore a removeable boot cast for about 10 weeks. I am feeling better, I've had a few flare ups & hope to keep the pain level low as possible by not stressing my feet. I've also been taping sporadically, taking Vit. C, B complex & other vitamins.
Good luck with your pain, I have 9 more years before retirement.

Mona on 2/08/04 at 07:39 (143913)

How wonderful you have an understanding administration and pod. Nobody really understands this unless they have experienced it! I hope you get relief and can teach until your retirement.

lara on 2/08/04 at 09:16 (143918)

Several months ago we had a thread that brainstormed different jobs people can do with TTS - i.e. jobs that don't require a lot of your feet. YOu might try looking for it in the archives (don't remember the name of the thread) - or maybe someone saved it and can post it.

I changed jobs and am now retraining to become a court reporter. Interesting job. great hours. good pay. and little required of the feet! (shoulders/neck are another story).

Mary on 2/08/04 at 11:08 (143931)

I had my TT release surgeries 4 yrs. ago without success. Today the pain is constant in both feet going up to the knees and up the backs of my legs. If I sit for even a few minutes it sets of the electrical pain with stabbing and trobbing through my legs. I have to elevate my legs/feet 95% of the day. Believe me I have tried everything I have read or been asked to try. And it is going down hill daily. I am worse than I was before surgery. I have always been a go-getter. I have worked for 25 yrs. before I had to stop, the pain was so bad. (Suffer prior to surgeries 2 yrs.) The dr. didn't diagnose my condition and I just kept going. My job required fast pace on concrete floors. I never had a sit down job. But I thought after my surgeries I was going to get on at the head office of Fed. Ex. and was looking forward to a new challenge. Never thought I was not going to heal. I am trying to get my SSD and it is a challenge even with the (3)dr. diagnosed me permanently disabled.
Going on disability is the last thing I would want but with myself unable to do a reliable job for anyone it is my last option. I guess that is why I paid the insurance all those yrs.
Wish me luck,

Re: Found the list

lara on 2/09/04 at 07:10 (143975)

I found the list from the previous thread. I've copied and pasted it below. Please add (or subtract) from it.

I have considered this question and have come up with a few jobs at varying skill levels and salary, that don't require much in the way of feet - depending on your situation. Some of these jobs require some walking which may be more than some on this list can tolerate:

1. mediator (requires 40 - 100 hours of training)
2. receptionist (if you don't have to run the mail around & such - big firms often have one person at the front desk to greet and answer the phone.)
3. court reporter (tough training process - pays very well, flexible hours if you want)
4. sign language interpreter (again requires certification)
5. telemarketer
6. teaching at the high school level or above - maybe caring for infants -depending on how many infants. A wheel chair could be used part of the day.
7. typist
8 [bus driver was eliminated as it properly pointed out that driving is generally difficult for folks with TTS]
9. medical stenographer
10. C-print (learning to type in real-time for hard-of-hearing students)

Well, that's all I've thought of so far. I think it might be useful for many of us to continue this brainstorming as many of us face the same question regardless of whether we are seeking disability or worker's comp, or VESID, etc.