Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

7 months post surgery

Posted by Rose on 2/07/04 at 13:25 (143869)

I had open release surgery on one foot and neuroma surgery on the other foot, both at the same time, on July 1st. I am still having a lot of pain in the PF foot when I stand more than a few minutes or walk far. I still need a wheel chair if we go anywhere which will take a lot of walking or standing.
I am in physical therapy and have been receiving deep tissue massage, ultra sound, and given stretches to do. Last week, I substituted one day and by the time I got home from school I was in in credible pain and could not even walk across the house that evening. I had to use crutches and a cane for several days to get around at all.
I am doing water aerobics for exercise. I do it 4-5 days a week. I stay in the deep water where I cannot touch and try not to point my feet. If I do any exercises standing on the bottom of the pool my foot gets very sore. I am getting a good cardio workout treading water for up to 20 minutes, and my endurance is increasing. So that part is good.
I have a boot that I wore off and on for two years before the surgery and then for several months after the surgery. I have tried wearing one on each foot while I sleep the past three nights. My feet feel so much better when I do this.The neumona is also starting to hurt again and I had a boot for that also. Do you think this is what I should be doing? Do you think that I am just impatient and should expect this to take a year or so to hopefully heal? Do you recommend anything else that I should be doing? Should I wear the boot during the day? When I use it too much I lost a lot of muscle in the calf. The physical therapist has recommended I use the cane to take some of the weight off the foot.
I forgot to state where the pain is mostly. I have first step pain in the middle of the heel, pain on the inside of my ankle and down the inside of my foot into the middle of the arch. The arch burns a lot even when I sit. The only way I begin to have less pain is to simply stay off my feet most of the time.

Thank so much for your help.

Re: 7 months post surgery

Nancy B on 2/09/04 at 21:09 (144016)

Rose, I too am still having pain. If you learn of any relief measures, please let me know. This is a dubious situation, at best.
Nancy B.
a.k.a. whinner 'My feet hurt!'

Re: 7 months post surgery

Rose on 2/09/04 at 22:43 (144021)

Yes, it sure is difficult. I have started wearing the boot more and more just to get around when I leave the house.