Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New style - Birkenstock Architects

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 2/07/04 at 19:52 (143889)

I went window shopping today & found a new style of Birkenstocks- Architects (spelling?). They were much more expensive than the other Birks, I didn't buy them. But wondered if anyone has tried them? The salesman said they are made especially for people with PF. The heel area has a special cushioned area along with more cushioning in the toe area. To be honest I thought the Madeira felt better than the more expensive shoe.

Re: New style - Birkenstock Architects

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/04 at 20:57 (143894)

Kathy, I searched for these online and could not find them. They are not even listed on the official Birkenstock site, at http://www.birkenstock.com ! What do they look like? Are they sandals or shoes? clogs maybe? I wonder if they were soft because of having the soft footbed? I'm so curious. :)

I really like the Birkenstocks I've got already (Arizona, Florida, Granada, Amsterdam, and Fulda). My feet are pain free these days, so I don't think I'll be buying any more Birkenstocks until these wear out. But I'm always interested in what's available.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 2/07/04 at 21:22 (143896)

Hi, Carole and Kathy! I was curious, too, so I surfed around on the German Birkenstock site and found the Architect line which appears to be a 'sub-group' of the Footprints line. I will post the link (which I hope will work!) to what I found. When you click on 'Architect', you will see there are 8 styles in the Architect line. And, yes, they are expensive! Even on the German site, the two I looked at were $190 and $200+! Whew! I won't be ordering any of those any time soon. /:) But, like you, Carole, I do like looking at the new lines of Birkenstock.

http://www.gobuyeurope.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BJK&Category_Code=1bfootprints

Suzanne :)

Suzanne D. on 2/07/04 at 21:35 (143898)

Go to http://www.birkenstockexpress.com and scroll down the 'browse styles' on the top left. All the names of the shoes they sell are listed, and the name Architect is listed to the right of the names in that particular line.

My favorite of those I looked at is the Avila which looks something like the Annapolis I wear. Admittedly, the Avila looks more feminine than the Annapolis, but the Annapolis is $150, and the Avila is $240! The two pairs of Annapolis I have (black and camel) which get me through most 'dressy' events were about $90 each as I ordered them from the German site.

Interesting 'window shopping'...

Re: Madeira Birkenstocks...

Suzanne D. on 2/07/04 at 21:54 (143901)

Kathy, I bought a pair of Madeira (spelled Madera on some of the sites that sell them, I've noticed) Birkenstocks the first weekend in December. I have been quite pleased with them! I wear thick socks with them, and that makes them feel even better. My feet have actually felt the most 'normal' wearing the Madeira than any other shoe I've worn in the past two and a half years.

I wear the Annapolis with dresses, and Arizonas at home this winter. But I find that I am keeping the Madeiras on until I'm almost ready for bed lately as they feel better than the Arizonas.

I will add that I use the same footbeds which I had modified (more arch and soft footbed padding) for my Annapolis shoes in the Madeira, too.

Do you wear the Madeira, too, or did you try them on in the store?

Happy window shopping!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/04 at 12:11 (143938)

Thanks, Suzanne! There are some very attractive models of 'Architect', such as the 'Merida' which I like.

I haven't ever tried any in the Footprints line since I am still trying to wear out the Birkenstocks that I have, and since previous models in the Footprints line were not recommended for me by my Birkenstock store's proprietor. But it's interesting to see new models of Birkenstocks that might be helpful for PF.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/04 at 12:19 (143939)

You are so observant, Suzanne! I did go to Birkenstock Express last night, but I looked under 'Ar' for Architect. It didn't occur to me to look to the right of the shoe names. Thanks!

I agree that these cost a lot! I think that if I ever was going to spend that much for shoes, I'd definitely try on some Mephistos, too, before making a decision. Now that my feet are feeling so much better, probably I should refrain from spending so much on any type of shoes for a while.

Carole C

Kathy in Ky on 2/08/04 at 15:23 (143945)

Hi Suzanne. I tried them on in the Hamburg (Lexington store). I think I could wear the Madeira quite a bit with my school clothes. We had been to Lowes shopping for remodeling supplies plus had our taxes prepared in the same day, needless to say my family wasn't too willing for me to keep trying on shoes all evening. I may just order them from the internet or ebay. My Annapolis are from ebay & were a very good bargain, plus nice shoes. There are some of the red & white Architects on ebay this week, but I didn't care for that style. I need another snow day just to browse the internet for Birks.

Kathy in Ky on 2/08/04 at 15:29 (143946)

Carole, I've pasted a picture of the Architects insole from an ebay pic. (those aren't my size, too bad) The circular area on the insole is a very soft gel/rubber, plus the bottom of the shoe has a similar padding. I hope this link works

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2888560796&category=15820

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/04 at 17:16 (143950)

Wow! Those are really something. They almost look like they have cleats on the outer sole, too; yet they are better looking than some shoes. The heel looks comfortable but it is hard to tell for sure without trying it on.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 2/08/04 at 20:00 (143960)

Actually, if I hadn't seen them first on the German site, I probably would have missed them at Birkenstock Express!

Even if the shoe fairy dropped $200 under my pillow, I still couldn't buy those pretty Architects because I wear a 43, and the shoes only are available through size 42. Still, I can't help but wonder why they have to be that expensive, but then I think that about a lot of things! :-s

I am just thankful that I have found shoes that work for me. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for that!

Suzanne D. on 2/08/04 at 20:03 (143961)

You're right, Carole. Footprints generally do not have the arch support that other lines of Birkenstock shoes have. If mine didn't have the modified footbed, they would not be as effective for me.

Have you looked at the German site lately? There are so many new style(or at least new to me) that are not shown on the American sites.

Suzanne D. on 2/08/04 at 20:05 (143962)

I've never ordered anything from ebay, but my husband has. Does it take a lot of looking to find your size in Birkentstocks on ebay? Or can you type in the brand name and size you wear and find it quickly?

Thanks, Kathy!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/04 at 21:05 (143963)

Where is that shoe fairy when we need him? LOL Maybe they make Mephistos in a 43. :)

I'm very glad that you have found shoes that work for you, too!

Carole C

Kathy in Ky on 2/09/04 at 17:33 (144004)

Just type in the item you want to look for , ex. Birkenstock 43 in the search section. On the left side you can narrow down the search if you want to just look at ladies. Or if you don't find anything with a simple search, you can click on something like 'within description', that way if the title doesn't include what you're looking for, you can sometimes find it hidden in the description of the item. Also if you know the specific name you are wanting, ex. Birkenstock Boston, that elimnates a lot of other brands. It takes a little while to find exactly what you are looking for but there is a bunch of things to look at ebay!

Suzanne D. on 2/11/04 at 17:02 (144115)

Thanks, Kathy! I have no experience with ebay, so I appreciate your help. I typed in Birkenstock shoes - size 43, and I got 2 results, both of them men's shoes. But it didn't take long at all to check, so I can do that often, and who knows, someday I may find a good bargain!

Thanks,

Linda L on 3/04/04 at 18:01 (146042)

Suzanne, you say you had the footbed modified? do you mean the original footbed that comes with the shoe or did you add your own orthotic int here?