Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

General Questions About Surgery

Posted by Steve on 2/08/04 at 16:24 (143948)

Hi;

I have been getting frustrated without seeing much results for my plantar fascitus after several months of physical therapy.

I have not been good about stretching every day. I thought I would give stretching one more *GOOD* try by doing it ( with ta heel rocker ) 3 times a day for 1 - 3 months before I consider surgery.

I had a guy at a party told me he got his foot back in shape 1 month after a surgery that split some tissue in his heel to make it more flexible.

I have also seen posts here from people who are still recovering MONTHS after surgery.

So, I thought I would ask for some general info about surgery.

How many different kinds of surgical techniques are there for plantar fascitius?

What is the average recover time: post surgery to normal walking to exerisie walking?

Is the success rate of surgery fairly good or is it one of those 'your mileage may vary, wait a few months' kind of things.

Steve

Re: General Questions About Surgery

SteveG on 2/08/04 at 17:51 (143951)

Hard to gauge from your note what treatments you have tried - night splint, orthodics, shots, ESWT, etc. I would not consider surgery until I had been through the gamut, including at least 2 rounds of ESWT. Have you read the heel pain book on this site?
The success rates seems to vary - I have seen everything from 50-90% success rate. And it often takes up to a year to recover.

As I say, though, it is not a decision to be taken lightly. All you have to do is read a post like the following to know that serious problems can arise post surgery -

bbt.cgi?n=103165

Steve R on 2/09/04 at 12:26 (143995)

Thanks.

I think my question is getting ahead of where I am.

I am going to read the book and repost to a more appropiate part of the forum

Steve

Bud on 2/09/04 at 20:20 (144012)

Steve,
There are a few things you should try first before you elect surgery. I exhausted all of them over 2 yrs before I had EPF surgery. It is the least invasive, sorta like a knee scope. I'm 12 weeks post op and it was definitely the right move for me. Surgery can go wrong for some people and not work at all. Take your time as long as you can take the pain. Good luck.

Bud