Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

thump and tingle - two types of pain?

Posted by anne on 2/09/04 at 00:53 (143970)

hi everyone,

I was just wondering what people's pain was like. I seem to have two types of pain - one where it feels like I'm walking on a bruise (which my podiatrist says is from stepping on a build up of fluid in the heel) - and a pain that feels like i'm walking on pins and needles (which my podiatrist says is from creating micro-tears in the fascia).

What are other people's pain like? And does this mean that the 'standing on a bruise' pain is better than the 'pins and needles' pain? And that the 'pins and needles' pain means that it is causing more damage?

thanks everyone!

Re: thump and tingle - two types of pain?

john h on 2/09/04 at 08:34 (143977)

Pins and needles could be nerve pain as in TTS.

Re: thump and tingle - two types of pain?

Micki Q on 2/09/04 at 17:01 (144002)

My pain problems started with burning on the balls of my feet and arches. Felt like I was walking on rocks even with shoes on then I had bad cramping where my toes joined the balls of my feet both top and bottom. Then progressed to kinda stabbing-shooting pains and feet felt like they were burning up or freezing but felt normal to the touch. I wanted to cut my feet off at the ankles..................
See my posts regarding 'my' solution. Mind you I'm not saying that it works for anyone but me......But I am pain free after 5.5 years of suffering and not sleeping.
Good Luck

Re: thump and tingle - two types of pain?

Bud on 2/09/04 at 20:13 (144011)


My pain was real similar to what you described.Eventually the tingling became intense PF pain directly in the center of my heel. Today makes 3 months post op. for EPF surgery and the PF pain is gone and so is the thump or bruise pain. My arches sometimes hurt but I'm feeling great for the first time in 2 1/2 yrs.


Re: thump and tingle - two types of pain?

anne on 2/14/04 at 22:47 (144328)

hi bud,

its great to hear that having an operation helped. how intense was your pain before the operation? what made you decide that it was time to operate? i have never considered having an operation, although i've had my pain for about 2 years now.


Re: thump and tingle - two types of pain?

john h on 2/16/04 at 14:08 (144406)

I am not one to recommend surgery although I did have it. I was no better and no worse. Since 90% of all PF cases are resolved with the usual protocol for stretching,orthotics,anti inflamatories that leaves 10% with chronic PF. My reading tells me that perhaps 3% of these this 10% may have surgery of one type or the other. We generally hear about the failures on this board as people who have successful surgery just continue on with their lives and do not look back. Some of the failures do appear to be really bad failures and people are left much worse off than they were and in some cases for life. I have no idea what such catastophic failure rate might be but would guess less than 1%. This leaves a person to make the choice of surgery that has perhaps a 1% chance or less of making you much worse or living what ever kind of life you are living with PF. I have always suggested one at least try ESWT before resorting to surgery and also the many other treatments recommended on this board. Remember there are some Doctors out there are ready to operate on your foot at the drop of a hat. Not many but they are there as they are with all types of surgery.One Doctor I visted with here in Little Rock a few years ago said he had performed over 1000 PF surgeries! He appeared to be in his early 40's so you can see there are a lot of PF surgeries going on. I would guess that many are successful. It is the few that are not that scares us.