Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM...not helping yet

Posted by Judi S. on 2/09/04 at 10:29 (143982)

I've had PF for about seven months. Went to a podiatrist once a week for about eight weeks. Taped my foot each week and prescribed Feldene. No relief. Foot would feel fine while taped, but hurt again when tape was removed each week. Read the posts about people having success with MSM, so decided to give that a try. Started taking 1000mg, twice a day, about a month ago. So far, no noticeable improvement. Anyone taking a higher dose? Plan to keep taking it for several more weeks...not giving up yet :)

Re: MSM...not helping yet

Sher A on 2/10/04 at 18:56 (144057)

I too have been taking it since December. Hasn't helped. I'll give it a try for another bottle of them.

rsk on 2/10/04 at 21:44 (144067)

I am not sure abt MSM since I never used it but since you are only 7 months into PF why dont you try ESWT right away. ESWT is supposed to be effective and will help if done at the early stages . If there is only one advice I can give you then it would be to treat this really aggresively at a early stage than after a year or two.

Julie on 2/11/04 at 01:28 (144071)

Judi, I realise your question was related solely to MSM, but if MSM and taping is all you are doing to treat your PF, it may not be surprising that it isn't getting better. This condition is one that needs to be approached from several angles, depending on the individual, and life-style changes are almost always necessary and an important part of the treatment.

Are you staying off your feet as much as possible, or are you trying to carry on with all your pre-PF activities? If you were used to going barefoot, have you stopped doing so?

There are lots of other individual questions I could ask, but I'll stop there. Give us a rundown of what you have done so far, and someone may be able to advise you on how to approach the problem.