Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping

Posted by Sandy H. on 2/11/04 at 03:33 (144073)

I haven't updated in about a year. I've had inflammation because of pronation for more than 3 years now. Yikes. My most successful episode so far was getting a podiatrist who changed my customized orthotics four times. Not by making them more aggressive as the previous one did but less aggressive. They have a forefoot posting which helps me because I have tearing in the middle and front of my foot under my big toe. He also showed me a taping method that is good for pronators because it supports the arch more than the one on this web site. Instead of going along the foot you just go across it in three strips across the width of your foot and slightly up the inside of your ankle. I've been putting it on every day for about 6 months now. Get through about a leuko tape roll a month and make sure to ROLL it off like a fruit rollup otherwise you rip your skin. If you want to go swimming you have to put it on a bit ahead of time is the trick and it usually doesn't come off. Oh the other good thing is pilates. Getting your posture right. Oh and I replaced cross country running with mountainbiking. (although I couldn't do that without orthotics and taping for sure)

Re: Taping

Rick R on 2/11/04 at 08:14 (144078)

Sandy,

This taping method is taking the same approach as mine. I tape around the foot, under the arch, as close the the heel as I can get. I keep promising pictures but don't get to spend much time at home these days.

Rick

john h on 2/11/04 at 08:34 (144080)

Sandy I can relate to the tape sometimes taking a small piece of skin. Does that ever hurt for a week or so. Then you cannot tape over this spot for several weeks. One does need to be careful. The place I always seem to get is just back of the toes.

Julie on 2/11/04 at 09:32 (144082)

John, you've forgotten what I told you! When you remove a little piece of skin through injudicious removal of tape, you can still tape: all you need to do is apply a small bandaid over the sore spot, and tape over the bandaid.

Much better to be judicious, though - slow and easy does it. :)

Jamie on 2/11/04 at 11:53 (144097)

I want to see pictures of all these different taping methods people have. I think different methods will work better for different people and i would like to try them all to find out which works the best for me. I like both of those ideas you both provided on taping. I have never tried either but hopefully i can figure them out.

Rick R on 2/11/04 at 14:58 (144110)

One of my tricks is to use a little vaseline on the touble spots.

john h on 2/11/04 at 17:17 (144120)

Now I remember Julie and shall not forget this time. A little skin tear on the bottom of the foot really stings when you put soap or someting on it. Ouch.

ronald l on 2/11/04 at 17:42 (144121)

Hello all, have been off these boards for years and decided to wade back in. I started taping this way a year ago, and it helped so much that I practically lived in it. After about 7 months I was relatively pain free. This after struggling for almost ten years with PF. By the way sometimes taking tape off while having a bath helps with the skin tearing.

Julie on 2/12/04 at 02:02 (144146)

Ouch indeed, John!

john h on 2/12/04 at 09:19 (144159)

Jamie I posted a lind to pictures of the way I taped severl weeks ago. Do a search and you should find it.

Dorothy on 2/13/04 at 00:36 (144230)

Does this involve a doghouse??

Dorothy on 2/13/04 at 00:41 (144231)

Same here, Jamie. I keep suggesting that SOMEONE needs to put together a 'booklet' with the various taping methods specifically for PF. Better yet, a video.

To all who tape: do you use the 'underwrap'???
I looked at Walgreens and all they had was a very bright yellow 'underwrap'. I couldn't feel it so don't know if an old nylon stocking might work or something like that. I'm very concerned about the affect that taping might have on the skin and from what the ' tapers' here say, it can be painful. Don't want to INTRODUCE new pain to the feet!

Dorothy on 2/13/04 at 00:41 (144232)

Doesn't that reduce the adhesive ability of the tape??

Jamie on 2/13/04 at 08:26 (144246)

Ill check that out, thanks john h