Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

10 days after ESWT

Posted by rsk on 2/11/04 at 10:08 (144084)

Hi group

Its been 11 days since I did my ESWT. During this period I have not been taking any anti-inflamatory and most important of all I have been in complete bed rest (except for walking to the kitchen and bathroom).I have been using my nite splint also but to my disappointment I have not seen any improvement. I really thought that the 11 days complete rest will make things bettter, but???. I ma losing hope and am very close to going for surgery for both of my feet and fix it once and for all. I am thoroughly confused and really dont know what to do. I am seeing my doc tomorrow to discuss surgery. Do you guys have any advice for me.

thanks for any help

cheers...rsk

Re: 10 days after ESWT

Julie on 2/11/04 at 11:00 (144092)

Patience. It can take 12 weeks for improvement to show following ESWT. You're expecting too much too soon. Don't give up hope.

Scott D. on 2/11/04 at 11:17 (144094)

Julie is right, it is far too early to expect results or make determinations on the success/failure of the treatment. You need to give it time.....

Did your Dr. advise you to go on 11 days of bedrest or was that your own idea??

rsk on 2/11/04 at 11:57 (144099)

Thanks for the response guys. I am really trying hard to keep my hope. Anyways lets see. The bed rest is my own idea. I actually have taken abt 5 weeks off work just to rest and get rid of this pain.

cheers...rsk

Scott D. on 2/11/04 at 12:03 (144101)

Best of luck to you! We recommend that patients 'take it easy' for a few weeks post-treatment to give themselves the best chance to heal. I'm not sure though that total bedrest isn't taking that a bit too far and that it may not actually be damaging because you are not using the tissues at all. Maybe our Docs have an opinion on that one?? How about it Z-man, what do you think?

Dr. Z on 2/11/04 at 15:15 (144111)

Scott,
I agree normal activity is just as important as going at it too much. No high impact sports and or mall walking. Why don't you take up swimming and or biking for the next month to participate in the healing process if you desire. TIME is really the issue. Taping is can be very helpful. Go to the drugs store such as CVS and get futuro elastic ankle supports they support the pf also. HEAT Good luck

Will B. on 2/12/04 at 09:32 (144163)

I agree with Dr.Z. Im my case I can already feel a slight differnce though. DIffernt docs will tell you slightly differnt things. So I use my own research and split the difference. In other words I have decided to basically not walk alot for about 2-3 weeks, but I will walk 'some'. Likewise I do very moderate slight stretches in the mornings and at night. I recommend getting some tennis balls and using them alot under the feet as you anre on your computer and watching TV, as they are not as 'hard' as golf balls. With ESWT you should really give it 10-18 weeks for heeling of the fascia from the ESWT. One thing that Dr. Z told me on the phone about was the importance od massaging the foot. I Also do this 3 times a day, and it has helped tremedously. I use the Dr. Shcolls foot (pedicure) cream and use my thumb across the bottom of the heel, then take my fist and run the cream into the facia and (arch) with firm stokes. After a few day of this especially in the morning, and using fabric softener to make your socks really soft does help in making your feet feel better all day. The massage really get's that blood and ciculation going. Be sure to ice your foot when you come home from work or at the end of the day. I use an orange juice can and roll it 35 times with each foot slowly, and likewise I use heat in the morning after the foot massage to further get that circulation going.

My point is that while you recover from ESWT be sure to try and use massage, heat, and ice and 'some' walking - even just around your living space, and consider the massage too, and gove that ESWT some time. Keep insetts in all of your shoes, even the slippers. I use Spenco and really like em. In my case, as with most cases with ESWT I can get a re-treat if necessary. According to FDA studies I have found ESWT is about 60-75% effective on the first go-round, and 90% after a second round. So in 18-20 weeks if you see no improvement, then get that re-treat.

You can get Spenco here (I order them online there also). They seem to be very good quality for the money, and I have tried tons of them.

http://www.footcarestore.com/FN_spenco.htm

Chris on 2/14/04 at 15:07 (144314)

I hope it continues to get better for you.
Is the night splint still indicated post EWST??
If so, what does it accomplish at this point.
Also wouldn't massage potentially prevent the fascia from reconnecting ?
Does massge really increase blood flow so dramatically that it outweighs potential negatives...
I am not a doctor, and have no firm feelings here, just want to make sure I understand exactly what is going on in there post EWST, and how to give it the best chance to heal properly.
Thanks and good luck
Chris

rsk on 2/14/04 at 19:12 (144317)

Hi Guys thanks for all the replies. Post ESWT I have been resting a lot. I completely stopped all anti-inflamatory meds. I still use nite splionts and stretching but I dont use ice or heat. I also dont massage. But I think I ma gonna start massaging. I still dont know abt ice or heat. I used to do both sometime back but really didnt help me. Actually heating sometimes increases the pain. I am gonna try icing again and see if it helps. I used to put my feet directly on ice with a layer of water in it. Am not sure if that is the rite way coz the intensity of the icing was high. Anys wasy let my try the massage and ice and will let you know if it helps.

thanks again

cheers...rsk