Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Success Rate for Tarsal Tunnel Surgery

Posted by Anita R. on 2/13/04 at 15:54 (144279)

I would like to know the success rate of tts surgery with no space ocupying lesion or mass present?

Re: Success Rate for Tarsal Tunnel Surgery

SteveG on 2/13/04 at 20:40 (144289)

Anita - you can do a search on this site, use, for example, 'space occuping lesion'; however, the consensus is that without such a lesion, it does not have a very high success rate.

elliott on 2/17/04 at 16:00 (144495)

Anita, I think a bit too much is made out of this space-occupying lesion thing. I had a TTS release in both feet, both my high-resolution MRIs came out negative for space-occupying lesion, some of the largest veins my surgeons had ever seen were observed at surgery pressing on my nerves, and I got substantial relief from my nerve problems with the release. Read the last sentence in the following link (one of the docs listed is past president of the Foot & Ankle Orthopedic Society):

What I'm trying to say is you often don't know you have a space-occupying lesion until after surgery. A lesion detected pre-surgery makes the surgical choice easier, and also helps identify a known cause and help with a fix. It's when people have rather hazy conditions to start with (e.g., nervy problems not limited to the tarsal tunnel, or no nervy symptoms at all but instead other problems attributed to TTS for lack of a better diagnosis) or, say, biomechanics that cause tugging on the nerve but were never addressed that disaster may be more likely to strike.

If you are out of options, in a lot of pain, and--very important--you and the doc are very confident of the diagnosis, surgery may well be worth considering.

Julie on 2/18/04 at 00:50 (144555)

Elliott, it sounds from what you say to Anita as though your own feet are a good deal better now. I hope that's true?

elliott on 2/18/04 at 10:37 (144594)

Yes, Julie, my TTS nervy problems are just about completely gone (and for the TTS board folks, absolutely NO numbness); thanks for asking. I can now wear shoes for most of the day, something I couldn't do before. I still have some serious structural issues with my first foot, some of it caused by the surgeon and/or his too tight cast (which led to neuroma surgery this past October--you could say I really didn't get my money's worth from that first doc). Didn't rush into surgery for the structural issue since the docs have not yet agreed about it, and the proposed surgeries are very extreme. Even that problem's somewhat better now than a year ago, and if it improves a bit more I could live with it. I'm getting yet another opinion, my seventh, next week (not that I'll act on it). Still have sciatica (which started shortly after that first surgery), now bilateral, and while worn down from this problem due to the duration (4 years), it's far less severe than in the old days, and a discectomy not an option. This story's still continuing: just had an MRI of the lumbar spine yesterday, so we'll see. But overall I'm in far less pain and grateful to be able to enjoy that.

Julie on 2/18/04 at 11:18 (144599)

It's quite a saga, Elliott. I'm sorry there are still so many problems, but very glad that you're in less pain overall.

It's sobering to realise how often one thing leads to another, isn't it? A treatment or a procedure that is intended to help ends up causing some new trouble. I hope you'll get to the end of all your foot (and sciatica) troubles eventually.

Re: Success Rate / TO elliott

nancy.s. on 2/19/04 at 04:30 (144680)

elliott, congratulations on your lessened pain -- i'm glad to hear it.

i'm just catching up after being away from the boards for a couple of months, and i'm hoping you can tell me more about your sciatica situation, especially why 'discectomy is not an option.' does this include the micro-discectomy procedure? has physical therapy helped you at all, e.g., did you go through any mckenzie type of program? has anything else helped your sciatica at all?

i too recently had a lumbar spine MRI, which showed a herniated disc (L5 S1), probably from a fall i took at the end of december. the back pain itself is minimal and bearable, but the sciatica plus hip bursitis down my left side is nearly unbearable and worsens with every day. this has crippled me quite a bit more than any of my foot problems did, and they were bad enough. my doc, after getting MRI results, thought i should see a neurosurgeon immediately, but i said no no, no back surgery, so he sent me to p.t., which feels mostly good while i'm there but is basically pain management because the pain is preventing any useful mckenzie work.

i am starting to feel desperate and wonder if i should seriously consider surgery after all. would you talk to me about this? i know you can't tell me what to do, but i'd appreciate your thoughts and more about your own experience with this. i don't want to take up more space on the doc board, so maybe you could write to me on the treatments board. also, do you know of any good message boards like heelspurs but that deal more with disc/sciatica problems?

thanks very much. again, i'm glad your feet are so much better.