Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thoughts and prayers needed

Posted by Lari S on 2/15/04 at 10:53 (144339)

I just returned from the hospital where one of my best friends is in ICCU. She had been fighting a cold for the past couple of weeks and suddenly took a turn for the worse. She is fighting for her life, and thoughts and prayer would be greatly appreciated. Her major organs have shut down due to her blood system becomming septic. Her lungs were filled with fluid, as was her chest cavity and the area around her heart. The have put in drain tubes, and she is currently sedated and on a respirator. She seems to be hooked up to every piece of equipment the hospital has. Kathy is a wonderful and loving person, a great teacher for her students, and well loved by all. Her husband, son and family are gathering at her side, and asked that we keep her in our prayers.
Thanks,
Lari

Re: Thoughts and prayers needed

Suzanne D. on 2/15/04 at 12:15 (144343)

[-o< I'm praying for your friend, Lari. [-o<

Please let us hear how she is doing...

Suzanne :)

JudyS on 2/15/04 at 19:27 (144363)

Lari - I almost lost my husband to septic shock two years ago and I can emphathise with your pain.
My prayers are added to all others here.

Dorothy on 2/15/04 at 20:28 (144367)

Lari ~ I am adding my prayers to those of others here for your friend. What a terrible situation. Echoing Suzanne, please keep us posted and we will be hoping for the best.

Necee on 2/16/04 at 08:37 (144389)

Lari I will keep your friend in my prayers. I know this is a very difficult time for you as well, watching someone you love going through a illness is not easy. Take care of yourself, get plenty of rest, she will need you when she gets better.
Please keep us posted on her condition.

Necee

wendyn on 2/16/04 at 21:54 (144437)

That's terrible Lari!!! She just had a cold?!?! What went wrong?

Ellen J. on 2/17/04 at 18:40 (144509)

Hi Lari,
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Kathy. I will send positive thoughts her way.
I have a friend who had the same thing happen and he has been in intensive care for 2 months. We thought we might lose him, but the good news is that he's finally pulling out of it. He had been on a respirator for a very long time and in a coma too--all due to catching the flu. I'm saying this only to tell you that he did finally pull out of it, and I hope that Kathy gets better soon too. It's very frightening, isn't it?
Ellen

Lari S on 2/18/04 at 11:40 (144604)

Thank you all for the kind thoughts, encouragement and prayers. She is still hanging in there, so we are all hopeful. The family waiting room is beginning to fill up with cards and goodies from her students and friends. I'm sure all the positive prayers and thoughts will pull her through this, as well as her own positive outlook on life. She put off going to the doctor hoping to make it to the 4 day off President's weekend as her students mean so much to her. (She teaches kids that have special learning problems that are hard to deal with in their normal classrooms.)

Thank, again, for your positive encouragement. I have passed on the best wishes and success stories to her husband.
Lari

Suzanne D. on 2/18/04 at 20:46 (144653)

Thank you, Lari, for this update. I haven't forgotten your friend. I think of her at different times during my day - particularly since I am a teacher as well. I know how we sometimes push ourselves to go on to school when we don't feel well.

My prayers continue for her.
Suzanne :)

marie on 2/22/04 at 18:39 (145029)

I'm just catching up here. She is in my thoughts and prayers.